• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't AE offer a cap toe boot in varying shades of shell cordovan (black, brown & burgundy) with a "commando" type sole in their regular line up? It appears that Alden's similar boot has a big demand - sought after and hard to find. Not sure why AE wouldn't capitalize on that market. Especially since they now seem to manufacture their shell shoes upon order. Not a whole lot of inventory concerns.

If they used the existing cap toe / eagle county as the foundation model for shell mto program, total effort to launch would be minimal.

I would guess that the lack of Bayfield is to funnel buyers to the Dalton, but, they both appeal to me for different reasons.

If shell is generally casual material in general, then the Long Branch may be a better fit than the Dalton for shell. The larger holes in the brogueing on my Long Branch enhance the brown shell more than the burgundy shell Daltons perforations imo.

The Bayfield had the larger brogue holes like the Long Branch, imo, making it a great choice for shell.

AE seems to be expanding the stock mto program, so it could be that ... if they find they can make consistent profit ... a wider range of options will follow.

Those of you who enjoyed the $190 mto boot era were very lucky, but, most of our closets have room for a few exact-specification items, even at full price +mto.

Last edited:

Brown Dynamite

Reaction score

Shell Kenwoods as I stand in line at Costco. First time wearing shell...trying to stay away from the $325 sale!

rostov

Reaction score

I'd love if they were to make a promontory point without that awful football skin.
There were a ton of MTOs of this boot when doing so was free. Personally, while I don't like the football leather on the boot, but love it on the Duke loafers (which, as it turns out, I'm currently wearing). It's a great texture for casual wear, especially shorts.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got word of a new 65-last blucher long-wing called the McGregor. Also, I've gotten word that test styles are made in multiple widths!

Having someone in Minnesota scout out new styles would be useful... Volunteers? :)

From the pictures I saw via Googling, Mcgregor appears to be short wing. No?

rostov

Reaction score
Got word of a new 65-last blucher long-wing called the McGregor. Also, I've gotten word that test styles are made in multiple widths!

Having someone in Minnesota scout out new styles would be useful... Volunteers? :)

From the pictures I saw via Googling, Mcgregor appears to be short wing. No?

There used to be a shoe called the MacGregor which was a short wing. The spelling this time is definitely different. The SA told me the new shoe is a long-wing, but that's all I know.

rusty18

Reaction score
Those brown suede bals are quite nice looking (above). Anyone have a suggestion on a low-priced chocolate brown suede option from AE (preferably in a 9.5D in the outlet? :)

Also--they Portlands in Bourbon at $197 just seem like a great boot for the money. Any reason to hesitate?
Same with the chocolate Cambridge closeoits. $137 I think? Almost feel guilty not buying them!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There used to be a shoe called the MacGregor which was a short wing. The spelling this time is definitely different. The SA told me the new shoe is a long-wing, but that's all I know.

Paul told us on the MTO thread (or maybe AAAC, I can't remember) that it was going to be a shortwing blucher. So I would go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads