• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll make a statement that might be controversial: I think the Park Avenues are overrated.

The cap is very short and I think there are better options for a shoe that doesn't get worn very often by most. I have two pairs, black and burgundy shell, and I wish I had gone a different route for the black pair. The burgundy shell is at least more interesting in color and I got them from Nordstrom Rack for a steal .

I second @random-adam in that the black plain-toe is a great alternative. The Carlyle would definitely do the trick and it's on a more attractive last.

I'm with you here. For as infrequent as I need a black cap-toe shoe (or similar), it would make no sense for me to buy a pair of PAs, really. My Johnston & Murphy Meltons I got in used-but-awesome condition on ebay for $30 do the trick perfectly, and the price was great.

To be fair, though, I splurged a bit on a pair of black plain toe shoes by To Boot New York for my wedding to wear with my tux:

I got them for >50% off, though, which was nice. And I prefer their look to the PA with the tiny cap toe. These shoes went perfectly with my tux. I would've definitely considered the AE Carlyle, as it's a similar style on my favorite last (108). Unfortunately it didn't exist then.

Last edited:

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I interviewed for residencies a few years ago (in Dermatology) and wore either my navy or charcoal suit to interviews. This was before I had a great collection of AE shoes, and most of mine at that time were much too casual for suits. That said, I wore burgundy Johnston & Murphy Meltons (cap toe balmoral) with my navy suit, and black Meltons with my charcoal suit. Worked out well for me. Never wore wingtips to an interview, though. Not sure how to advise you on that front. Honestly, I think brown PAs with a navy suit would look perfectly fine/appropriate.

Congrats on going into Derm! One of my best friends just matched into it and he is very excited. I guess I was really looking for an excuse to buy a burgundy shoe and chalking it up to "interview costs." I have a feeling that in your specialty (more than others) you can push you're style a little further and it will be appreciated if it is well-executed. Also, thanks for the input. Always great to see physicians paying heed to quality menswear.

My thinking exactly. I work in business and most men I see wear cheap black shoes that are poorly maintained. I realize that the common guidance is to wear very conservative shoes (like the Park Ave.) usually in black. If I interviewed someone in a charcoal suit and a pair of well maintained Strands or Mac's I would think the person has a great sense of style - no more, no less. Most men I interview haven't a clue on how to properly wear a suit (or even wear one AT ALL) and their shoes look like black $40 shoes they purchased on clearance from Kohl's (and then beat the crap out of them prior to the interview). But, God forbid someone wears a nice grey suit and a pair of walnut Strands to an interview!

In your situation I would think your Navy suit, white shirt, burgundy tie (?), and your dark brown Park Ave.'s would work wonderfully. I see no need to rush out and purchase another pair of shoes when you already have an option that's more than feasible.

Thanks for the affirmations; at the end of the day I believe it's the confidence you feel in what you're wearing that matters the most in your body language. I've seen other interviewees and they fit the unfortunate description above. Unfortunately, it is almost universally accepted to be poorly dressed, but it is the well-dressed individuals that will sometimes be singled out. All in all, now that I'm picturing that suit/tie/shirt/shoe combo in my head, it's making it look all the more enticing.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Darkside : Do not buy Park Avenues. There is a support group for all of us who bought Park Avenues based on the advice in this thread, even though we thought they looked stubby and old mannish at hte time. We have all come to realize this was a mistake purchase and moved on to other captoes that we like better. Here are a few suggestions:

SF forum member Andrew Lock has a line of shoes that are a value at $225. I have a pair in brown, but you can see they are built on a more contemporary last.

Meermin's classic line captoes on the Hiro last are likewise a more sleek round toe option (no picture handy). I believe they come out somewhere around $200 as well.

If your budget allows, I think a captoe on Carmina's Forest, Rain or Inca lasts would also be good options:

Forest

Rain

and Inca

By the way, I also have Park Avenues sitting in a closet in my office that only get worn on rainy/snowy days:

Kwaker

Reaction score

am i correct that the AE Leeds PTB is slightly narrower than the Alden Barrie PTB?

I wear 8D Barrie and am selling a pair of 8.5D Leeds. The Leeds is more narrow and also has a greater taper towards the toe.
To get an equivalent fit with the Leeds, I'd have to consider a wider width like an E or even EE (but would then have to deal with a loose heel cup).

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
am i correct that the AE Leeds PTB is slightly narrower than the Alden Barrie PTB?

I wear 8D Barrie and am selling a pair of 8.5D Leeds. The Leeds is more narrow and also has a greater taper towards the toe.
To get an equivalent fit with the Leeds, I'd have to consider a wider width like an E or even EE (but would then have to deal with a loose heel cup).

I wear 9D Barrie and 10C Leeds.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Rain in those photo's look really nice - probably due to the photo angle the Inca looks like a Duke Football shape

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@New Shoes1 . Wow! Between the AE Carlyles and the Andrew Lock Black Oxford, these are the suggestions I was looking for. A much more modern look than the Park Ave, especially with the AL currently at $250. Though my brown Park Ave's would be just fine, I think there is just something striking about black leather shoe in formal occasions. I wish I knew more about Andrew Lock's company. I also love the Carminas but those will have to wait a few years before they're on my feet.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My pair of Cambridge shoes were delivered today. I'm just sitting here staring at them. I needed a pair of burgundy shoes so I went to AE intending to purchase the McAllister, and walked out with these Cambridge on order.

I'm in love with the color - In some lights they look almost black, but in any good light the burgundy hue is apparent and exactly what I wanted. I am really looking forward to these breaking in.

Next to Burgundy Walden loafer (and above AE's Kenwood loafer):

I hope everyone's week is going well!

Stunning! Congrats!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@New Shoes1 . Wow! Between the AE Carlyles and the Andrew Lock Black Oxford, these are the suggestions I was looking for. A much more modern look than the Park Ave, especially with the AL currently at $250. Though my brown Park Ave's would be just fine, I think there is just something striking about black leather shoe in formal occasions. I wish I knew more about Andrew Lock's company. I also love the Carminas but those will have to wait a few years before they're on my feet.

My recollection is that Andrew Lock offers a 10% Style Forum discount and free shipping, so I think they are $225 shipped.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not care for the AL... For such limited use just go with the Johnston & Murphy Men's Melton Oxford at Amazon for $175 sign up for Amazon's Fashion mail list get the 20% off coupon and get them for $140. or the Florsheim Men's Edgar Oxford for like $90 with the coupon.

Not sure what your budget is but most on Style Forum find limited use for black shoes in general something I was a little shocked to learn. So for a closet sitting shoe really just go with bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Kind of just an interest check, hopefully this is allowed. Would rather ask here first, knowing everyone is an AE fan. I've been thinking lately that I might be more of a 12E than 12D, as some of my 1-last 12D shoes are proving to be too narrow, and becoming uncomfortable after a few hours. I have a pair of walnut datlons, very lightly worn, and a pair of snuff suede eagle county boots, also 12D, worn even less. Send me a PM if you might be interested. Again, sorry if this is against policy. I can remove this if needed/warranted.

dusttruffle

Reaction score

How would you describe the 8d barrie vs 8,5D leeds fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads