• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I have a question, how big of a risk is it to get shoes as factory seconds. I see a lot of people here do it and i'm really wanting to grab some Daltons when this sale starts Feb 3rd. Should I be expecting to get two different looking shoes or a shoe with half a sole?

I wouldn't call it a "risk" as you can always return them minus a $10 restocking fee. But, the quality is all over the map. Some have only the smallest defects that would be noticeable only to a borderline obsessive; others are so messed up that they will irk you every time you look down at them.

If you're at all interested, I suggest you contact the Shoe Bank ASAP at (262) 284-7158 to see what's available (they will email you a list of everything they have in your size, or tell you over the phone if they have Daltons if that's all you care about). I, undoubtedly as well as others, have already asked my regular guy there to set aside the ones I'm interested in so that come next Monday they can be sent out. I'm not sure they do this for everybody, though - I'm a "power user" so Vincenzo might just be doing a solid for me in particular. At any rate, the sooner you call, the sooner you'll know what's possible and be able to lessen the risk that someone else will snipe your dream pair.

BTW, others may know better, but I'm not 100% sure whether Daltons will be part of the sale.

TaperedGent

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a "risk" as you can always return them minus a $10 restocking fee. But, the quality is all over the map. Some have only the smallest defects that would be noticeable only to a borderline obsessive; others are so messed up that they will irk you every time you look down at them.

If you're at all interested, I suggest you contact the Shoe Bank ASAP at (262) 284-7158 to see what's available (they will email you a list of everything they have in your size, or tell you over the phone if they have Daltons if that's all you care about). I, undoubtedly as well as others, have already asked my regular guy there to set aside the ones I'm interested in so that come next Monday they can be sent out. I'm not sure they do this for everybody, though - I'm a "power user" so Vincenzo might just be doing a solid for me in particular. At any rate, the sooner you call, the sooner you'll know what's possible and be able to lessen the risk that someone else will snipe your dream pair.

BTW, others may know better, but I'm not 100% sure whether Daltons will be part of the sale.

I've been emailing back and forth with someone named Jean and she asked was there anything in particular that I wanted to have set aside. If they don't have Daltons I may just grab another pair of Neumok or maybe some Bourban strands.

rc121

Reaction score

I've been emailing back and forth with someone named Jean and she asked was there anything in particular that I wanted to have set aside.  If they don't have Daltons I may just grab another pair of Neumok or maybe some Bourban strands. 

and just as an fyi, they should never be defects which would compromise the integrity of the shoe like half a sole as you stated.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents, my latest MTO's are in from Allison and co. Here are the specs and pics:

- Townley
- Leather: Bourbon Calf
- Exposed Antique Brass eyelets
- Brown leather insole
- Double Oak leather sole
- Light brown transparent edge dressing
- Regular brown welt

Great makeup.

Either it's the bouron or your photography skills, but these look like they are on another level.

TaperedGent

Reaction score
and just as an fyi, they should never be defects which would compromise the integrity of the shoe like half a sole as you stated.
Good to know, she just sent me a pretty long list of what they have available. The only thing i'm kinda confused about is that I know that the sale prices come Feb 3rd will be different than the ones that are on the list. How exactly does that work?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, Sherman Brothers is currently running a 15% off sale, for brands including AE. Code is "BRR2014". Most if not all of their AE prices are full retail, so the deals are not as great as they could be - but as near as I can tell the code also applies to belts as well as shoe care products, so that might be useful.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score

Shell will be on sale for $299, and if it's anything like the last sale this will include shell Daltons. $299 is a crazy deal for any shell seconds, but especially good for boots that regularly cost $100 more then shoes when retail.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since cordovans are constructed a bit roomier than calf counterparts, is it necessary to downsize by a half if the calf size is a tad roomy to begin with?

Last edited:

BobStrauss

Reaction score
Damn. Second pair of seconds came in, and I'm having fit issues again. Check out the bowing on my suede strands:

The shoes are comfortable and fit well otherwise, but that's pretty extreme, right?

anrobit

Reaction score
Damn. Second pair of seconds came in, and I'm having fit issues again. Check out the bowing on my suede strands:

The shoes are comfortable and fit well otherwise, but that's pretty extreme, right?
Those certainly don't fit well, given that bowing. Have you been fitted in an AE store?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems fine on the right foot, left foot has some bowing but it's not terrible. Some lasts and feet just don't fit as well as others and while the causes and consequences of bowing on AE shoes has been discussed at length (
deadhorse-a.gif
), I think yours are fine unless it's noticeable through your pants. Unless...is that how you normally cuff your pants?
rotflmao.gif

Subutai

Reaction score
I agree with Teal. Certain lasts just don't fit some feet. The 5 may not be the last for you. If the shoe feels fine otherwise, and you like the style, keep'em. It doesn't sound as though another size is the answer.
if the gap bothers you though maybe try Meermin or better yet, Alden

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Since cordovans are constructed a bit roomier than calf counterparts, is it necessary to downsize by a half if the calf size is a tad roomy to begin with?

I think that the stretching of Shell Cordovan is a little overstated here sometimes. Yes Shell Cordovan fits a little looser on the lasts, and they have to be a bit more careful with it, but I go same size in Shell Cordovan as I do Calfskin.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads