• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin782

Reaction score
My new Fifth Avenues in Bourbon. Really liking them.

Those look really, really nice...the leaves and the stone are a nice touch...I think the Bourbon Mora 2.0's I just got are the most beautiful shoes I own.

Still kinda disappointed that the bourbon isnt an actual leather color though...just a polish. But oh well, I guess anything is better than a generic brown.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just did a little TLC on my Chili McAllisters, Tan Bradys, and Walnut Strands.
nod[1].gif

Wish I could figure out how to spit shine, maybe I just don't have the patience for it.

Any of you use AE's colored carnauba wax?

I've used the colored and neutral AE wax before. The black works okay on black shoes, but I stick to the neutral for the best results.

I get a pretty good mirror shine on most of my shoes using it. It takes a good amount of patience the first time, but afterwards you get used to it. The Official Shoe Care thread on SF is pretty helpful. I'd read the first few pages as they have good advice on a mirror shine.

Indoor shot is poor, but pretty decent mirror on my PAs.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I've used the colored and neutral AE wax before. The black works okay on black shoes, but I stick to the neutral for the best results.

I get a pretty good mirror shine on most of my shoes using it. It takes a good amount of patience the first time, but afterwards you get used to it. The Official Shoe Care thread on SF is pretty helpful. I'd read the first few pages as they have good advice on a mirror shine.

Indoor shot is poor, but pretty decent mirror on my PAs.

A suggestion, stick to only bull polishing on the toe and heel. Neutral wax will eventually collect in the creases of the vamp and you'll get whiteness that accentuates creasing.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A suggestion, stick to only bull polishing on the toe and heel. Neutral wax will eventually collect in the creases of the vamp and you'll get whiteness that accentuates creasing. 

Yup. I agree. I only use reno and some AE premium polish (sparingly) on the other areas other than the toe and heel.

850csi

Reaction score
Still kinda disappointed that the bourbon isnt an actual leather color though...just a polish. But oh well, I guess anything is better than a generic brown.

What exactly do you mean by this? i.e., is it that easy to turn any pair of walnut AEs into bourbon?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Bourbon is just Walnut Calfskin Leather that they polish on the Black Burnishing Wheel. As opposed to being a specific dyed color like Walnut, Merlot, Brown or Black.

I actually think it's cool how they get creative to make new colors, but I understand where you are coming from here. Cause the effect probably fades with time and is harder to maintain.

-Mike

Biogon35

Reaction score
Thanks. Would love to see a pic of your new Mora 2.0s.

I like brown too, once it ages a bit through wear. Regarding Bourbon as a leather color, I heard that it starts as Walnut but undergoes a darkening process that includes application of black coloring (but don't hold me to that 100%). Works for me.

850csi

Reaction score
Bourbon is just Walnut Calfskin Leather that they polish on the Black Burnishing Wheel. As opposed to being a specific dyed color like Walnut, Merlot, Brown or Black.

I actually think it's cool how they get creative to make new colors, but I understand where you are coming from here. Cause the effect probably fades with time and is harder to maintain.

-Mike

Gotcha. I'd imagine it's not that easy for the average joe to turn a pair of walnut shoes into bourbons without the burnishing wheel.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'd imagine it's not that easy for the average joe to turn a pair of walnut shoes into bourbons without the burnishing wheel.

Never thought of trying, but if you had some beater shoes that you didn't care about you could do a light application of Black polish on them and brush, brush, brush.

-M

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-Mike

AE used to recommend black polish for bourbon, but they now have bourbon polish - might make maintenance easier.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, for those who like bourbon, yesterday I was at the AE store here in New Orleans and saw the bourbon Daltons in person for the first time - absolutely beautiful color. Also checked out the new Carson City boot. All they had was the black distressed leather. Very unimpressed. The leather feels cheap and they look like hell. They are very lightweight, if that's your thing, but otherwise I'd say they basically have nothing going for them. The list price is only $45 less than the Dalton, which is absurd - I don't even think they're worth the $197 sale price. OTOH, judging by the website photos, the other color versions may be more impressive.

Ultimately I was a baaad wittle boy yesterday. Ordered two pairs of shell Daltons. One was the burgundy from Sherman Brothers - they're offering 15% off with the code "gobbler". They claimed to have 9.5 Es in stock but I've ordered from them before only to be told the following day that they were out of stock, so we'll see. The other was 10 D walnuts from Pelle Line. I know the 10.5 D in the calf is too big for me, so I'm hoping for the best with the smaller size. They're offering $75 off orders of $450 or more, and $200 off orders of $1,000. That plus the fact that they were offering them for $675 before the discount instead of $695 was all the incentive I needed (as if I needed any more). If they work out I'll be selling my walnut calf 9.5Es. Seconds, but barely worn and defects are basically unnoticeable.

FYI, Pelle Line appears to have one more pair of walnut shells in 9.5 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics