1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Hey guys,

Have any of you contacted Allison about a MTO Sanford? Im trying to figure out how much the cost would be. The standard $345 or would it be less because the shoe is discontinued?

2. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Just added these to the rotation: brown Fifth Street, brown Rutlege, and black Hale.

[​IMG]

However I'm trying to keep my inventory static, so for each new pair, I'm trying to unload an old pair. Before I get rid of them, I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on selling vs. keeping the following pairs of shoes, especially given my recent purchases:

1) Brown Parkway (worn)
    2) Brown Lasalle (worn)
    3) Black Park Avenue (new)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. Geran Brown

Geran Brown Senior member

Hi all,

I recently went into an Allen Edmonds store to get my foot measured on a brannock and they said I should wear an 8D, unfortunately they didn't have any 8D Strands in stock to try on as I was looking at purchasing that shoe.

Should I stick to an 8D or should I size down a half size to a 7.5D?

4. green garden

green garden Senior member

MTO cost for discontinued styles will be at current prices.

5. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I just ordered the Brown Burnished Grayson Webgem. Been wanting those in a brown color and I'm mostly limited to Allen Edmonds for loafers due to width.

Question: Is it just me or is there an issue with the angle of the heel/sole on all of the Independence collection shoes? It seems off, which makes it feel like something is pushing into the middle of your foot as you take each step. The front of the heel piece seems to hit the ground first.

6. ScottyBoy920

I have a similar issue with my Bradys, the heel is uneven or not completely straight. If you look at the pics AE posts on their website, you can easily see what I am talking about. This leads me to believe that it should cause an issue, just awkward.

7. ScottyBoy920

But there isn't a current price. sooooooo [​IMG]

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

The price is determined by the cost of the uppers, unless that particular model is on sale.

9. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Are you talking about how the back of the heel is off the ground, showing how it's not flat?

Independence Collection Shoe:
    [​IMG]

Regular Collection Shoe:
    [​IMG]

10. ScottyBoy920

Bingo!!

11. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Nice pick ups, tjyoung... I was gonna pull the trigger on brown Rutledge 2nds, but went casual (olive neumok) last minute. I think I have enough brown for now. If it were walnut at the brown shoe's price (-$150), I would've been all in!!!!

Unless you 'need' another black shoe, I would hold onto the Parkway. You just dropped coin for the black Hale, so I would think not...unless you need to go more formal than the Hale for some occasions. The Parkway is a blucher (unlike any of your new purchases), It's a different toe (more chiseled - some variety) and can be dressed up or down.

That's me though.

12. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I think the only problem there would be that the "all about lasts" page doesn't list all shoes (including discontinued models) ever made on the last. It won't help him find out what last the shoe he has is on...

I did however google names of AE models and "last" in the query when doing my due diligence on discontinued models. It helped to figure it out with a little skimming. That Google IS amazing. [​IMG]

13. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

14. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

wouldn't the front of the heel hitting first help the overall longevity of the shoe? This is because most people's shoes (in my experience) wear down the quickest at the back of the heel. So by making the shoe in a way that the front hits first, would that not increase the life of the heel? Just a thought, I am by no means a shoe expert, just seems like that might be why they made them that way.

15. Grenik

Grenik Member

It looks like you have to look up each style in Google. I was hoping that there was a comprehensive list on one place. They have such a nice list of all their shoes showing which cleaner, polish, etc to use that I assumed they would have a list of all shoes by last. Not a big deal.

Good for current shoes that they sell, but not for retired lines.

16. chris45

chris45 Senior member

I was measured at 9C and walked out with 8.5D in the Strand... but that's me.

17. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I'm counting 26 pairs of AE in your collection, I have 28 pairs of AE with 1 in production. There may be some competition here… :)

18. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Latest Seconds Haul:

Brown Neumok & Black Fifth Street

[​IMG]

Fresh out of the box. Only defects I see are a couple of areas of sloppy stitching and the upper of the left Fifth Street boot is quite rippled, and honestly the leather on it feels like it is not of the same quality as the right one. I think I'm going to send those back and exchange them for another pair. I can deal with the stitching and a scuff or two, but the way the side bulges out on the left boot is something that bothers me everytime I look down.

I paid $119 for the Neumoks and $199 for the Fifth Streets.

19. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

I have a pair of McAllister's and a pair of shell macneils. I realize these are different style, but is it somewhat redundant to keep both? Or make room for a new style and sell the mcallisrers......

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

20. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

n+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.