1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Well-Known Member

My haul from the 2nds sale are a paid a black Fifth Street boots and a pair for saddle brown Vernons. I think I'm going to send back the Fifth Street boots -- I just don't really like them that much.

The Vernons, on the other hand, look better than I expected and I'm aiming to keep. I do have to decided whether I want to keep the 10E, or try and exchange for 10D -- I'm "E" in all the other AE shoes I have and them feel great right now, but the laces close up completely so I'm worried that they'll loosen up too much over time. On the other hand, if they fit well now, what would make them stretch?

[​IMG]

The Vernons (2nd from left) fill a nice gap in my brown spectrum -- Tan RL Sandersons, the saddle brown Venons, brown Meermin MTO boots, and dark brown Carmina brouged captoes.

[​IMG]
    And a family portrait of my AE-made shoes.

2. mdavis534

mdavis534 Well-Known Member

lol. I read this a few pages back. N+1-1+1 = N + 1

3. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

I thought that as well, however, it's not very comfortable when walking.

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Well-Known Member

Agreed, plus when sitting your feet aren't flat on the floor. Causes slight knee discomfort too.

5. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

On a side note....... Allen Edmonds factory opens up tomorrow after the holiday shutdown. Hopefully my MTO Strands are high on the list.

6. polojock615

polojock615 Well-Known Member

I'm in the 50s now. I'm in trouble.

1 person likes this.
  7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  8. green garden

green garden Well-Known Member

+1 Cost of the uppers and type (boot or shoe).

9. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    -15 degrees outside with a -38 windchill, and my black Dalton's and skull and bone socks are keeping me plenty warm (with under armour pants and a shirt, under thick wool slacks, an oxford dress shirt with a cashmere sweater.... Scarve, gloves, ear warmers and a top coat)

:)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  10. jimanchower

jimanchower Well-Known Member

You're really pushing back against the low-rise style, huh?

2 people like this.
  11. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

First and foremost.... Absolutely no disrespect meant here.
    I really do get the need for more shoes.
    I have a decent collection of AE, Aldens, and a few other brands...
    However, the pride for me comes in the quality of the shoes, my ability to wear and enjoy them all, and the care I am able to impart.
    I could never accomplish that with more than ~20 pairs of shoes. (My personal soft threshold)
    Once I get there or close to that threshold, I have to sell off the things I don't wear.
    They would sit in the closet and not get used, like they are meant to be.

FWIW, You gents have impressive collections.

1 person likes this.
  12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

Wearing my Lasalle today. Color is darker in person, the light in the office and with cell phone camera makes the color washed out.

[​IMG]

But regardless I love the chili color. :slayer::slayer::slayer:

13. njruss

njruss Well-Known Member

Quote:That would explain why I have not heard back from customer service for a week! I need to send back my Jingle Moks - not happy with some quality issues being that they are firsts!

14. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

15. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

Anyone have suggestions for lacing the Daltons? I've tried a few different methods and have not found a great one.

16. coolarrow

coolarrow Well-Known Member

Love my Neumoks. I haven't worn them b/c it's been so cold. Have the red laces on them, too.

17. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on what your reasoning is for buying the shoes. Whether the main purpose is your collection, or simply wearing them. If you look at your body of shoes as a collection, then having any number of shoes, so long as they add to the quality of your collection, is justifiable. If you buy shoes because you like wearing them, as opposed to having them in your collection then it makes the most sense to limit your shoes to a certain number of pairs.

I myself get nearly as much joy simply knowing that a have a pair of beautiful shoes than I do by actually wearing those shoes.

18. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

I can't speak for personal preferences on how your shoes feel to you, and there are certainly variable extremes to what is "normal" which can lead to discomfort.

All that said, the heel lifting off of a flat surface is actually normal, and can be noted as a hallmark of a properly made shoe. From a biomechanical standpoint, it is preferable to some extent (there can be too much spring). The reason for this is because it results in a mild "spring" action under the arch of the foot, which provides better support. The bridge of the shoe bears weight, and if it isn't properly supported, it can sag under load. When the shoe is on the last, it should sit flat, but when the last is pulled (on a properly made shoe), it frequently springs up a bit, which results in the heel not sitting level on a flat surface. If the shoe is made properly it should sit flat when weight from your feet are applied, and the springing action may be more pronounced when you lift your foot off the ground. When it strikes the ground again, and you feel the forepart of the heel hit first, that is an indicator of this engineered element. It likely then returns to it's normal flatness when standing still.

It should also be noted that some shoes will exhibit more spring than others, and this can be attributed to several causes. Shoes that aren't left on the last very long may have a greater level of spring because the insole hasn't completely "cured" to the bottom of the last. AE only leaves them on the last for up to 24 hours I believe, while some of the more expensive manufacturers leave them on the last for weeks. The insoles of bespoke shoes are by far the most cured to the bottom of the last. Also, shankless shoes (AE) may exhibit more spring to them, but not always. Certainly, shoes with metal shanks (like Alden) will resist springing far more than shoes without shanks, or with wooden shanks (which most English manufacturers use).

There will also be some variability between different lasts and the types of leathers and other components that the shoes are made from. Rigidity of materials obviously plays a role in this.

I wouldn't start over analyzing your particular shoes. If they have some spring, take it as normal and even preferable. If it bothers you, that's a different story, but I would recommend trying to get used to it if you can. I think AE makes fantastic shoes for their money, but to get shoes made at the quality we all want at the price you pay for AE's, not everything is going to be perfect.

Here are some other threads that discuss this topic, if you want some light pleasure reading:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/69958/proper-heel-height/0_100

http://www.styleforum.net/t/288876/mark-of-an-inferior-shoe-toe-spring-or-no/0_100

19. csc67

csc67 Well-Known Member

Amazon has awesome sale on the AE Harrison ($333.75 with free shipping) - Limited sizes and only in black

20. csc67

csc67 Well-Known Member

Amazon has awesome sale on the AE Harrison ($333.75 with free shipping) - Limited sizes and only in black

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.