• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcohen

Reaction score
Before you go buy some shoes make sure you look at the results of a recent survey about the top twenty men's dress dress shoe makers at: ranker.com/crowedranked-list/top-men_s-shoe-designers. You will find that Charles Tyrwhitt is not among the top twenty shoe makers however Allen Edmonds is and they are number 2.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That list also has J&M above Alden which is completely ridiculous

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That list is pure BS, some of CT's shoes are made by Loake, which are often regarded about equal to AE in quality. And AE > John Lobb? Please.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Before you go buy some shoes make sure you look at the results of a recent survey about the top twenty men's dress dress shoe makers at: ranker.com/crowedranked-list/top-men_s-shoe-designers. You will find that Charles Tyrwhitt is not among the top twenty shoe makers however Allen Edmonds is and they are number 2.
CT shoes are made by Loake. I'm not sure if they're the 1880 line, however, which is the only line I'd spend money on, since the others are corrected grain (I think).

As for AE being #2, I'd have them as #1 in the United States (most would put Alden at #1), but not close to top 5 (maybe not even top 10) in the world (JL, EG, G&G, GC, Vass, Carmina, Grenson, C&J, AS I'd put above AE easily).

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all CT shoes are made by Loake, whereas those made by Loake are sometimes made to 1880 standards and other with lower quality leather and craftmanship.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all CT shoes are made by Loake, whereas those made by Loake are sometimes made to 1880 standards and other with lower quality leather and craftmanship.
These are the ones I am referring to: http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shoes...es?q=usddefault||MC003BLK|||||||||||||&page=3
They are certainly not corrected grain and are, by all accounts, made to the same spec as the 1880 line. They are $20 cheaper than the Park Avenue and, to me, have a nicer shape. The only downside I can think of is that they are only available in regular or extra-wide widths. For me, this is not a problem, but might be for others.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
These are the ones I am referring to: http://www.ctshirts.com/men's-shoes/men's-business-shoes/Black-luxury-calf-leather-Oxford-shoes?q=usddefault||MC003BLK|||||||||||||&page=3
They are certainly not corrected grain and are, by all accounts, made to the same spec as the 1880 line. They are $20 cheaper than the Park Avenue and, to me, have a nicer shape. The only downside I can think of is that they are only available in regular or extra-wide widths. For me, this is not a problem, but might be for others.
I also prefer those than the Park Ave, as I'm not a fan of the short cap toe. There is also a 10% off coupon for CT (TYR23B) that would knock off another $32 off the price. Park Avenue seconds would still be less expensive, however.

jbcohen

Reaction score
I have read about corrected grain and what it is and why one should not wear corrected grain leather shoes. However there is one thing missing from my understanding, how do you spot corrected grain?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I have read about corrected grain and what it is and why one should not wear corrected grain leather shoes. However there is one thing missing from my understanding, how do you spot corrected grain?
It's difficult to explain without having full grain and corrected grain to feel. Corrected grain will have no pores upon inspection and has a plasticy shine to it due to the veneer added to it. A bead of water on full grain will be absorbed some and darken the leather, while it'll just stay a bead on corrected grain. Corrected grain will also be impervious to leather conditioner, will not take polish well, and on burgundy shoes will develop pinkish scuff/streaks that cannot be brushed or polished out, as it's the veneer being damaged.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you guys receive any tracking info from the shoe bank when ordering seconds? I ordered last week and have not received anything

jbcohen

Reaction score
What is the web address to this shoe bank? The only site that I can come up with is shoebank.org which appears to be a charity organization that gives sneakers to poor children. Clearly I have the wrong address.

jasonmx3

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, guys. Very helpful!

I've always read this thread and I never realized that CT shoes were also comparable to AEs. Those cap toe CT oxfords are beautiful. Not sure what I was looking at earlier, but they were not the same shoes and were cheaper ($199, sale price).

As for sizing, I shouldn't have a problem with that since I intend to try them on at the store. But good to know that I should get a smaller size to get a good fit.

I may just end up getting one CT and AE pair.

Just a follow up, for those who have them, are the CT shoes as durable as AEs?

And also, is the CT coupon only for online orders? I'm guessing the store could probably just match it (if ever).

Thanks!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, guys. Very helpful!

I've always read this thread and I never realized that CT shoes were also comparable to AEs. Those cap toe CT oxfords are beautiful. Not sure what I was looking at earlier, but they were not the same shoes and were cheaper ($199, sale price).

As for sizing, I shouldn't have a problem with that since I intend to try them on at the store. But good to know that I should get a smaller size to get a good fit.

I may just end up getting one CT and AE pair.

Just a follow up, for those who have them, are the CT shoes as durable as AEs?

And also, is the CT coupon only for online orders? I'm guessing the store could probably just match it (if ever).

Thanks!
I have the shoe I linked to above, and the quality seems comparable. I suspect they will be every bit as durable, but I haven't had them long enough to really know.

I also agree with sizing down for CT.

As for the coupon, I have always had good luck getting the store to honor them. Just make sure you have the actual coupon code.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as determining whether or not something is corrected grain when looking online or in a catalog, you want to look for things labeled as full-grain leather or 100% calf leather or something like that. That generally identifies non-corrected grain leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads