Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Looks fabulous. I love mine also. Now I'm thinking of doing a MTO with this color.

2. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Quick PSA...

I just ordered a pair of tan Elgins for $150.15USD from this site:

http://www.nowstyleshoes.com/allen-edmonds-mens-elgin-p-3125/

The website doesn't look completely set up yet, as there are sections containing instructions to the seller on what to type where, but they took Paypal and $150 just seemed like a pretty good deal, and free world-wide shipping to boot.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I am insanely jealous! Can you fill me in on the details about this tent sale? Edit: I found the info. Another sale so soon is awesome. Hopefully my Mcallisters get here next yet so I can confirm the size is correct and order some more shoes in a few weeks.

4. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Scottyb06,

Love your collection. I was thinking about buying the strands and then the Neumoks and Mctavish.. Which do you prefer for a casual shoe between the Neumoks and McTavish?

Edit also which is the true color of the Neumoks?

5. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Don't know any details on the tent sale other than it is happening in June :)

7_rocket: For me comparing the Nuemok to the McTavish is apples and oranges because I have the Nuemok in suede. If I had the Nuemok in brown leather, I'd probably prefer it as a casual shoe. It has a 'lighter' feel to it than the McTavish. That said, I wear the McTavish often because that pair goes well with many types of outfits. I don't wear suede too often during the summer months as well. The 'true' color of my Nuemoks is the pic with the orange laces (they are also the same color as the Amoks). I don't know why the two pics came out so differently.

6. proximal

proximal Member

I got my Brooks Brothers Neumok seconds today. I ordered them in the same size as my Strands but they seem a lot narrower in the toe box. Is there something about the unlined design of the Neumok that makes it fit differently even though both are on the 5-65 last?? Or is the BB version on a different last? You can kind of see the difference here along the outside edge in the toe area.

[​IMG]

Is the unlined suede material of the Neumok more prone to stretching to accommodate?

7. Artem

Artem Well-Known Member

I want to teach you how to tie your shoes.

8. Artem

Artem Well-Known Member

The edge of the toe box on those BB is fucked.

9. MrJoyboy

MrJoyboy New Member

Very few people wear a 3E which is very wide. What you probably need is a bigger size. I've found that people on here underestimate their length and don'tseem to take into account that their real size is not just measured length but measured arch. Get a longer size and adjust for width and the shoes will fit.

10. proximal

proximal Member

On the inside edge? They're seconds and that part isn't noticeable when worn. It seems narrower on the outside edge where it tapers.

11. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I'm planning to get two pairs of AEs when I go/return to NYC next month. These would be my first AE shoes. Currently I'm using leather shoes from Bally, Too Boot NY, Floorsheim (Imperial) and Johnston & Murphy.

I regularly wear a suit to work and I work at a fairly conservative office/profession (mostly dark colored suits: Dark blue, Navy, Dark brown, Black, and dark grays). In summer, I occasionally wear lighter grays and blues.

Any suggestions on which two pairs I should get (I was leaning towards those with V tap soles since I do a lot of walking to and from the office)?

Also, which NYC store would be the best to visit (fair amount of stock available, knowledgeable SAs, etc.)? Would it be worth my time to visit Nordstrom first?

Thanks!

12. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Very nice. They're my most comfortable AE's also. May I ask where you got firsts for $99? I bought another pair of firsts during the Memorial Day Sale and I paid $149. Thanks.

13. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

So today I received the Black Hill samples that Allison at AE sent to see if they bowed as the Kenilworths do for me. They came in my "normal" 12E size. The good news is that these do not gape on my feet. The bad news is that these are too big for me. I was trying them to confirm fit for a pair of MTO shell PTB's. I know most folks here say size down in the Black Hills and the reasoning is due to the "rough" leather not pulling down as tight on the lasts during manufacture. But for the same shoe in shell, would 12E now be correct as that can be pulled tighter? Or do I still size down? I'll be calling Allison tomorrow to see what she recommends. I was wondering if anyone here might have any experience or feedback regarding this that might be helpful.

On the plus side, I am enjoying my new AE Cordovan Wallet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I wouldn't bother with Nordstrom. Also, there isn't one in NYC that I know of. I am partial to the Rockefeller Center store.

As for which pairs to get, it depends on whether or not you plan on keeping any of the ones you already have. If we go with the assumption that you are starting over, I guess I recommend Park Ave in black and maybe Mcallister in merlot. You could also do a fifth ave in brown instead of the Mcallister.

Actually, since you will be in NYC, I recommend the Charles Tyrwhitt black cap-toe over the Park Aves.

I wouldn't let the v-tread sole steer you towards or away from a particular shoe. You can always get them added later for about $35 per pair.

15. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

It seems that there's a Nordstrom downtown (at Union Square). Although after googling it, it's a Nordstrom Rack (not Nordstrom).

Thanks for the suggestions. My initial choices were indeed a Park Ave in Black and a Fifth Ave in brown. But I thought I should consider some other pairs too, which is why I decided to ask for some suggestions. The Mcallister do look nice and I will definitely try on a pair at the store.

I intend to keep my current shoes, but I eventually want to replace all of them once I have enough for my weekly rotation.

I've never heard of Charles Tyrwhitt, but I actually like the pictures I found on their website. I'll try to read more about them and drop by their store too.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Rockefeller store. That should be fairly easy to get to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.