• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhazem

Reaction score
I think it is of excellent quality. It stays clean, no creases, and lasts a long time. The nap on Janus is very different. Almost more like a Nubuck that isn’t as durable. Janus can get bald spots pretty easily if you are not careful.
That’s terrific. Thanks for the feedback. I’m stoked to get it in the mail in a few weeks.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I must have been thinking of Janus.

CF Stead offers both Janus “reverse calf,” which is full grain but inside out, and Repello, which is split. The former is usually thicker, since it hasn’t been split, and finer. The latter is usually thinner, softer, and with a slightly longer nap. Repello comes already treated with Scotchguard according to Stead.

Regarding kudu, I know the conventual wisdom here is that Alden doesn’t use real kudu, just what Horween calls “kudu,” but that AE does somehow, but …. I’ve always wondered if this is true. There are much smaller makers that buy real African antelope kudu - I have some reverse kudu bluchers from Rancourt - but my impression is that it is difficult to obtain large quantities, which is why Alden just buys what Horween calls “kudu” but perhaps I’m wrong.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since @munchau posted his calf pair on Tuesday and @EdwardWilson hammered it home with his cordovan pair yesterday, I thought today would be a good day to follow suit with the pair that finally filled my chili hole. Love these chili MacNeils, even if after futzing with the filters on my phone for almost 37 seconds couldn't get the color right on them. Mine fall more on the brown spectrum than the red, and that's fine by me. Much like there are many acceptable forms of chili in real life, so are there many acceptable forms of chili in AE footwear.

Now, I kind of want a bowl of chili.

IMG_5450.jpg

Oh, and one last note about the shoe gestap-hoes I mentioned yesterday, and then I'm going to erase them from my brain entirely. I think the things that irked me most were the belief that lacing structure (or lack of it, with loafers and slip-ons) is the only factor that matters when pairing footwear to outfits when I've always felt that a shoe is the sum of its parts: style, materials, sole, and color (among other things). There's more than one axis.

The other thing is when one of these douchecanoes looks at an outfit and says, "That's objectively ugly" like they are the arbiter of all. Looks are ALWAYS subjective, and for anyone that doesn't understand the difference between subjective and objective statements, I'm more than happy to come on over and subject your backside to whatever object is on my foot, whether it be an oxford, blucher, or ballet slippers. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your mileage may vary. Different strokes for different folks.

Look, I know I'm the last person in the world to be giving style advice. I consider it a win when I remember to wear pants out in public. Nobody should want to dress like me. And, you know what? That's a good thing. I don't want to dress like any of you, either. And, I sure as hell don't want to dress only based on some archaic rule structure from decades before I was even born.

You know what I do want to do? I want to share my AEs with the vast majority of you and try to keep the things I like most about them going for as long as possible.

Oh, and I still kind of want a bowl of chili.

OK, I'm done. Let's see some more AEs in whatever fashion you want to sport them.

Adhazem

Reaction score
Since @munchau posted his calf pair on Tuesday and @EdwardWilson hammered it home with his cordovan pair yesterday, I thought today would be a good day to follow suit with the pair that finally filled my chili hole. Love these chili MacNeils, even if after futzing with the filters on my phone for almost 37 seconds couldn't get the color right on them. Mine fall more on the brown spectrum than the red, and that's fine by me. Much like there are many acceptable forms of chili in real life, so are there many acceptable forms of chili in AE footwear.

View attachment 1685304

Oh, and one last note about the shoe gestap-hoes I mentioned yesterday, and then I'm going to erase them from my brain entirely. I think the things that irked me most were the belief that lacing structure (or lack of it, with loafers and slip-ons) is the only factor that matters when pairing footwear to outfits when I've always felt that a shoe is the sum of its parts: style, materials, sole, and color (among other things). There's more than one axis.

The other thing is when one of these douchecanoes looks at an outfit and says, "That's objectively ugly" like they are the arbiter of all. Looks are ALWAYS subjective, and for anyone that doesn't understand the difference between subjective and objective statements, I'm more than happy to come on over and subject your backside to whatever object is on my foot, whether it be an oxford, blucher, or ballet slippers. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your mileage may vary. Different strokes for different folks.

Look, I know I'm the last person in the world to be giving style advice. I consider it a win when I remember to wear pants out in public. Nobody should want to dress like me. And, you know what? That's a good thing. I don't want to dress like any of you, either. And, I sure as hell don't want to dress only based on some archaic rule structure from decades before I was even born.

You know what I do want to do? I want to share my AEs with the vast majority of you and try to keep the things I like most about them going for as long as possible.

OK, I'm done. Let's see some more AEs in whatever fashion you want to sport them.

Ok tell me which thread this was? I’m bored this morning.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Happy Thursday!

It is raining here in the Rockies, which is irrelevant in my shoe selection for two reasons. 1) I'm not leaving the house today and 2) I've had my first RDA bargains start arriving. :)

I'm a guy who conditions his shoes when he gets them. These might have been made in 2003 and stored in Phoenix AZ ever since, I don't think I've ever seen a new shoe suck up Renovateur like these F2 Oxblood Cavanaughs did. I saw someone mention that Cavanaughs are similar to vintage WeeJuns, which I wore all thorough High School and University. What's it worth for a flash of what it feels like to be 18 again? A hell of a lot more than I gave for these shoes...

Cavanaugh_25.jpg

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Colorado and AE’s
Estes Park in some Normandy boots.
764423FD-319E-4E07-98DF-0B8A97F6AE4C.jpeg
Well, where do you stay in Estes Park?
The Stanley hotel of course! This is the hotel known for inspiring the movie The Shining.
20D50565-D2BD-46CF-823D-8F0496DA7A93.jpeg
You could see the old car there:
981ECAFB-DA0C-49AB-A41D-3705E31D990B.jpeg
Or relax by the pond with art installment and gorgeous views.
723C58BC-A07C-4D5A-9C97-FF314770D0A4.jpeg
And if you want to get out and explore, hop on over to the stables off of CO route 7.
AAC21F9E-BD41-4810-8F67-161BD400BA8E.jpeg
The horses are friendly enough to let you hop off and take photos without having to tie them out.
74C87E84-6078-418F-AEC0-01736209A2AB.jpeg
Then you can head to downtown and hang out in the park. It can be a bit crowded at times…
3BE04112-FCD1-44ED-A7C1-B35042C3826F.jpeg
Is that a rock in my boot? Dang lug soles…
The sidewalks can be crowded, too.
72A3E287-49A6-4905-850D-DC4B14EA5AF3.jpeg
It’s not quite like Elk Grove Village, IL…

Then head out to do some fly fishing. Since it was my first time, why not wear “Discovery” chukkas?
A569B312-F7A6-4503-A376-AAD3A7B1BB5B.jpeg
Catch itty bitty fish…
86B7A5EE-A916-4C8A-858C-B901253210B7.jpeg
Then head on out to celebrate your 50th birthday.
32554B31-8032-452D-8104-F7F12F67836C.jpeg
what should I eat? Hmmm, how about some bison?
FE387B1F-0B50-4C85-8901-79494884A497.jpeg
And what about dessert? Why not share?
91939FFD-E280-402D-BF9D-8E6D072748F8.jpeg
Such beautiful colors in Colorado…
C9BA6B0D-9566-49DF-9F0F-C56107E1F6D6.jpeg
How about some more adventure? Why not ride a UTV on Sugarloaf mountain?
AA1DBB9B-048F-4BA2-9726-CF00715CCFDD.jpeg
47239E52-B39A-42C1-9DEA-5F4CD8FA548B.jpeg
04F3F550-7CF0-4531-9DB9-0CDFF53458B0.jpeg
Those Normandys got a workout this trip!

Then explore parts of the Rocky Mountain National Park. Be sure to reserve your park entrance time in advance!
D6DAB9F3-FFB3-4072-BCF8-37D204B79E2D.jpeg
3AE6F82C-5320-4F3F-878E-ECBE23127E58.jpeg
And get ready for Halloween by putting a pumpkin at the top of a rock formation.
52D8350A-0A2D-4811-909B-CA5BA00FEA08.jpeg
Hope you enjoyed! Four days and three pairs of AE’s. A lot of fun!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1685304

My lack of good judgment causes me to weigh in with a counter-argument then I'll leave it alone.:-D

First, I agree that there is "more than one axis" when considering the overall formality of a shoe, e.g., leather type, leather smoothness, last shape, welt, sole type, color, lacing scheme, broeguing, etc. Each of those characteristics has a sort of score on a formality scale, e.g. no brogueing more formal than brogueing, black >> walnut, etc. And I agree that something that only checks the "more formal" box by having a closed lacing system, but checks no other boxes, e.g. wingtip, rough leather, split welt, light color, should be deemed, overall, an informal shoe. Further, I think even the most strident of the "no Park Avenues with shorts" army would agree on that point.

However, one reason I think folks are talking past each other is that many of the folks in that camp are used to seeing and buying shoes from manufacturers other than AE, makers who adhere to traditional convention about those characteristics, and when those makers make an oxford, they load it up almost exclusively with the "more formal" option of each of those characteristics, and they reserve the less formal version of those characteristics for open lace shoes. E.g. most traditional makers popular on SF make an oxford stitchcap in:

calf, not shell,
sleek last, not a blobby last
narrow/flat welt/edge, not wide/split welt
same color stitching, not contrasting
Black or dark brown, not tan, green, whatever,
Single leather sole.

On the other hand, they usually reserve for a blucher or derby things like scotch grain, split welt, rounder toe, lighter color, non-leather soles, especially lugs, etc.

They don't mix and match much. The former is a "city" shoe. A shoe for suits. The latter a "country" shoe for more casual wear.

On the other hand, people who populate this thread are used to seeing, and perhaps even enjoy, the odd combination of formal/not formal characteristics that AE comes up with on a shoe. For whatever reason, it is sorta AE's thing. The Sauk Drive was a open lace dublin wingtip boot with the deepest Vibram lug sole AE offered at the time but ... bizarely, a flat welt and no speed hooks. Que???

My point is, I think one reason for the "oxfords are for suits" mindset is because most "SF approved" makers don't load up their oxfords with a lot of non-formal characteristics. AE - for good or for bad - frequently does.

I'll add, I think a lot of folks who have traditional "suit shoes" - regardless of manufacturer - but don't dress up as much anymore - still like to wear their "nicer" shoes. So, you see some of the ... mmmm. "non-traditional" pairings of shoes with casual outfits.

I'll take my beating now.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My lack of good judgment causes me to weigh in with a counter-argument then I'll leave it alone.:-D

First, I agree that there is "more than one axis" when considering the overall formality of a shoe, e.g., leather type, leather smoothness, last shape, welt, sole type, color, lacing scheme, broeguing, etc. Each of those characteristics has a sort of score on a formality scale, e.g. no brogueing more formal than brogueing, black >> walnut, etc. And I agree that something that only checks the "more formal" box by having a closed lacing system, but checks no other boxes, e.g. wingtip, rough leather, split welt, light color, should be deemed, overall, an informal shoe. Further, I think even the most strident of the "no Park Avenues with shorts" army would agree on that point.

However, one reason I think folks are talking past each other is that many of the folks in that camp are used to seeing and buying shoes from manufacturers other than AE, makers who adhere to traditional convention about those characteristics, and when those makers make an oxford, they load it up almost exclusively with the "more formal" option of each of those characteristics, and they reserve the less formal version of those characteristics for open lace shoes. E.g. most traditional makers popular on SF make an oxford stitchcap in:

calf, not shell,
sleek last, not a blobby last
narrow/flat welt/edge, not wide/split welt
same color stitching, not contrasting
Black or dark brown, not tan, green, whatever,
Single leather sole.

On the other hand, they usually reserve for a blucher or derby things like scotch grain, split welt, rounder toe, lighter color, non-leather soles, especially lugs, etc.

They don't mix and match much. The former is a "city" shoe. A shoe for suits. The latter a "country" shoe for more casual wear.

On the other hand, people who populate this thread are used to seeing, and perhaps even enjoy, the odd combination of formal/not formal characteristics that AE comes up with on a shoe. For whatever reason, it is sorta AE's thing. The Sauk Drive was a open lace dublin wingtip boot with the deepest Vibram lug sole AE offered at the time but ... bizarely, a flat welt and no speed hooks. Que???

My point is, I think one reason for the "oxfords are for suits" mindset is because most "SF approved" makers don't load up their oxfords with a lot of non-formal characteristics. AE - for good or for bad - frequently does.

I'll add, I think a lot of folks who have traditional "suit shoes" - regardless of manufacturer - but don't dress up as much anymore - still like to wear their "nicer" shoes. So, you see some of the ... mmmm. "non-traditional" pairings of shoes with casual outfits.

I'll take my beating now.

This is a well-thought-out and articulated view point that raised a number of things I hadn't considered. You clearly do not belong on Styleforum if you're going to do that. You need to respond with something far more disdainful and smug than this, if you want to fit in.

No beatings for you! But, I will buy you a drink if we ever run across each other in real life. Does that work? You'll recognize me as the guy with a completely incoherent outfit.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a well-thought-out and articulated view point that raised a number of things I hadn't considered. You clearly do not belong on Styleforum if you're going to do that. You need to respond with something far more disdainful and smug than this, if you want to fit in.

No beatings for you! But, I will buy you a drink if we ever run across each other in real life. Does that work? You'll recognize me as the guy with a completely incoherent outfit.

That works fine provided I get to sniff the cork. I’ll either be wearing a shoe AE decided to discontinue or a moc toe workboot without a label on the tongue.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
C4FEEF78-1E62-4C05-8853-459DC825CCD5.jpeg

@donkeyhoatie

Those are fantastic.

Clearly the Mac Neil is the best shoe ever and AE was foolish to discontinue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads