• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will be my first 'tan' shoes. Seem pretty casual. i'm guessing jeans and chinos is the way?

(Appreciate the re-enforcement. After pulling the trigger I saw all of the brown and cognac colors on shoebank for $50 less and and I was second-guessing not going w/ a more 'traditional' color)
Yeah, those will work great.
I also wear with flannels and Tweed, since I don't wear jeans much.
IMG_20191130_112843_2.jpg

Also, the liner is the same nubuck on the tan pair!

mastakebob

Reaction score
Yeah, those will work great.
I also wear with flannels and Tweed, since I don't wear jeans much.
View attachment 1417388

Also, the liner is the same nubuck on the tan pair!
Those are much browner, almost a matte walnut, than they look on the AE website. Website pics look almost greyish/antiqued. Hmm, that's a bit concerning.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My son stopped by today dressed very nice in a suit. I noticed he was not wearing a belt. Of course he ended up in my closet getting the Gator belt in black. I gave him the look. Without missing a beat my 32 year old son says to me, “ mom said that I can have it”. So I turn to my wife and she gives me the look. Then she says, “how would you like to loose your shoe allowance”. Shoenut looses another battle.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Love the prima ballerina, who will no doubt have fond memories of hangin' with dad (I assume?) and his great piles of shoes!

Thanks! Yes that's my little one... she's only 2 so not TOO likely to remember the shambles that is my closet currently - for better or worse.

At least we seem to be past the stage of curiosity related shoe damage, like gee wonder what would happen if I pour this sippy cup of milk into this shoe shaped container (yes, this actually happened. my wife, knowing this might be a catastrophe but not knowing what's what called me at work to explain what had happened and ask for direction for what to do. thank goodness it was some old sh-t pair of boat shoes that I haven't worn in years and years).

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are much browner, almost a matte walnut, than they look on the AE website. Website pics look almost greyish/antiqued. Hmm, that's a bit concerning.
Never trust an AE picture.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The final day of the lonely shoe week brings out the brown shell MacMeils. Once it was a rarity, but then became a bit more common when AE went brown shell for everything. That was just before they killed the MacNeils. John 11:35.

View attachment 1417379

Looks like covid has killed off a lot of shoes this last year (well, to be fair, some of these were clearanced before covid):

-MacNeil
-Badlands
-Bartlett
-Jefferson 2.0
-Leeds 2.0

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like covid has killed off a lot of shoes this last year (well, to be fair, some of these were clearanced before covid):

-MacNeil
-Badlands
-Bartlett
-Jefferson 2.0
-Leeds 2.0
Is AE planning a WFH line now?

Buck McFate

Reaction score

-MacNeil
-Badlands
-Bartlett
-Jefferson 2.0
-Leeds 2.0
What does it say about me, other than the fact that I'm an elder and I came late to the AE purchasing party, that of the five styles listed above I own three (MacNeil, Badlands and Leeds 2.0) and they are my favourites among the paltry (by the standards of this thread, at least) ten AE pairs I own? They're the shoes that feel best on my feet (probably just luck, considering I've never been fitted by an AE professional -- being Canadian and all, and an infrequent cross-border traveler, I have never had the reassuring pleasure). But the demise of the MacNeil has cut to the quick! I'm hoping that by some miracle they may be resurrected, and offered along with a two-brown-tone saddle shoe. Then I can pass, happy!

cw-chesnut

Reaction score
Is anyone else struggling to get a pair of AEs without large defects from the factory? I just got 2 pairs of Jeffersons delivered and each had black smudges on the shoes. I've attached a picture.

Attachments

• 20200701_171956.jpg
    20200701_171956.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is anyone else struggling to get a pair of AEs without large defects from the factory? I just got 2 pairs of Jeffersons delivered and each had black smudges on the shoes. I've attached a picture.
I received a great pair of olive yesterday, in fact. It does happen. Considering the price you likely paid for them, they're still a good deal. Less than a minute of work on those all they'll look like $500 bucks.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please disregard...trying to post on the phone...my apologies

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads