• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is way better than the Dalton, imo. AE needs to use the wingtip of the McAllister then adjust the vamp to run symmetrical similar to Alden's. The ~90 degree turn on the McAllister wingtip would make it a distinctly AE boot as well.
great minds

darkclassic

Reaction score
Do you think the last would make a difference in proportion, like Barrie vs. Plaza or Grant?

IMO, the last does make a difference overall on the Alden. I've gone through WTBs on Barrie, Grant, Hampton, and Plaza. I prefer Hampton for fit, but also for the overall proportion, especially toe shape. Grant is a close second and Plaza is very good, but not quite there to my eye though.

The notes above would be of big help to AE as well about adopting the McA to a WTB. Especially on the 65 last as I find it to be somewhat similar to the Hampton. @ae_ashley ?

HAMTPON WTB.jpg

Agree that the Dalton wants a split welt. I had a pair in shell and still find it hard to believe they are on the 511 last (and I've had quite a few 511 last AEs).

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
IMO, the last does make a difference overall on the Alden. I've gone through WTBs on Barrie, Grant, Hampton, and Plaza. I prefer Hampton for fit, but also for the overall proportion, especially toe shape. Grant is a close second and Plaza is very good, but not quite there to my eye though.

The notes above would be of big help to AE as well about adopting the McA to a WTB. Especially on the 65 last as I find it to be somewhat similar to the Hampton. @ae_ashley ?

View attachment 1500436

Agree that the Dalton wants a split welt. I had a pair in shell and still find it hard to believe they are on the 511 last (and I've had quite a few 511 last AEs).

you guys got me studying what it is that I don't like about the dalton now more carefully. I actually think a big part of the problem is that the quarters are too short or are positioned too far back (or both). I think this contributes to all of the issues that we have been talking about. Vamp too big, shaft looks off, wings not set correctly... while the wings aren't perfect (I think they dip a bit too low down the sides of the vamp as well as the aforementioned angles), I think the issue is more with the quarters than anything else.

maybe I am out of my mind, I don't know... that's just how I am seeing it now that I am looking and comparing more closely.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One further comment. Allen Edmonds already knows how to correctly terminate a wing...look at the McAllisters! All they need to do is apply their expertise in closed lacing wing patterns to open lacing boot patterns, and they are all that is win. (McA has the same problem of wings not following the exact path, but the shapes are correct and they have done it correctly on past models)
How about a first ave / austerity wing combo?

Coffandcig

Reaction score

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about a first ave / austerity wing combo?
If it's handled correctly. Without the distractions of brogueing it would have to be very sorted. Plus, the 201 is less than ideal for me fit wise. And I still don't like the way the 1A quarters fall to the welt, so that would have to be revised just the same as the Dalton's

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while we are on the topic of wing tip boots what is everyones feelings on the Trickers Stows?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
For me, personally, still has the eyelet tab issue (extending would help), too shallow angle welt meet, and too much gap between quarters and wings.

Agree overall. In some ways they remind me a bit of the dalton but I like them a decent bit more than the dalton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads