• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the typical care protocol for the HM boot? Just polish, or you guys wax, too? What color saphir?

I'm going to say it depends on the leather. I've got CXL, shark, shell and suede. If we're going CXL (which I would guess), I don't do much with them. I've had the natty CXL for at least three years now (prob more) and I've hit them with Bick once. I love the patina they've developed. No polish needed.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say it depends on the leather. I've got CXL, shark, shell and suede. If we're going CXL (which I would guess), I don't do much with them. I've had the natty CXL for at least three years now (prob more) and I've hit them with Bick once. I love the patina they've developed. No polish needed.

I guess tbh I'm not sure which I have. Def not shell or shark so I guess the chromexel.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess tbh I'm not sure which I have. Def not shell or shark so I guess the chromexel.

Here's a quick pic of my pair. No real babying going on here. They kinda look like a before-and-after shot, but that left boot has always been a little different. That's just the joy of CXL. With nine pairs of HMs, these aren't getting as much wear as they once did. Someday (when my brown shell pair comes back to me) I may take a family shot.

IMG_9150.JPG

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys thing AE shoe trees are good enough now that they're been reshaped, or should I get some from elsewhere? I have 5 pair of AE and 1 AE boot I need trees for in size large (11D types)
I like Rochester trees better than Woodlore, but I'm probably in the minority.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sullivan Street may have been the best AE boot design that was ignored by those buying boots. Why?

View attachment 1295343

I plead ignorance. They were gone in my size before I realized how nice they are. Happens when you are 13 B and a bit slow--you obviously were more alert! :fonz:
You guys thing AE shoe trees are good enough now that they're been reshaped, or should I get some from elsewhere? I have 5 pair of AE and 1 AE boot I need trees for in size large (11D types)
? AE trees get the job done just fine. Even the base level. I have them in all of my shoes. I get most of my trees at Nordstrom Rack--but they are Woodlore/AE. For some shoes, I've been buying the Woodlore Epic trees, which are terrific. But IMHO, Epics aren't necessary for all or most shoes.
Maiden voyage of navy shell dalton with contrast edge and welt. Think these are girly still? On my way to fly to Seattle today—matching shell watch band
View attachment 1295357 View attachment 1295358
View attachment 1295363
Not girly. Helluva nice pair!

Liked twice, for Higs and Hank

Recrafting success story time! I know we've all seen bad pictures of recrafting. I myself have had a couple questionable jobs. I was a little nervous sending my pair in, since these are my very first pair of shell I ever purchased. I figured that if they were ruined, at least AE can replace them. I specifically asked redrafting to put a transparent brown edge on them (I did that to this pair as a DIY project years ago) and to NOT refinish the uppers. I like the patina I've already got. My soles were spongy (probably from too many times in water) so they were actually in worse shape than they look. They were also VERY stretched out since I weighed 315 when I first got them. I present to you my brown shell Strands.

Before:
View attachment 1295412 View attachment 1295413 View attachment 1295414 View attachment 1295416

AFTER:
View attachment 1295422 View attachment 1295423 View attachment 1295424

All in all, very pleased with the results. The edge finishing is better than a lot of what I've seen posted lately.
I've only had 2 pair re-crafted. Both came back looking fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads