• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys guys guys, go easy on @Ukzajames for a bit. He probably has a slight hormone imbalance due to his body still adjusting to the sweet air of freedom after growing up under the thumb of one of the world's most oppressive nanny states.

:hide:
It would be nice if the thread would let one double or triple like a post, as I would this one!

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought two pairs of Allen Edmonds factory seconds. Thought that it was free returns. Neither shoe fit. I returned them and have been charged a 'restocking fee' of $50. Never again will I buy from Allen Edmonds. Absolutely terrible customer service. You know that a brand is poor when they need to charge outrageous fees.

AE customer service is awful because
  • I bought the wrong size?
  • I didn't read that factory second returns had a restocking fee?
  • AE seconds aren't as nice as $1000 C&J's?
  • ???

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is someone a troll because they don't agree with the standardised view point?
I never had expectations that factory seconds should compete with high-end English shoe makers. I did have expectations as to quality of the shoe (e.g. leather used) and customer service at the price point paid. The leather used is independent of the finishing, and AE's leather used specifically on the Park Avenue and Bond Street is is well below average. This is regardless of whether +- $200 or $395 is paid, the leather is the same.
Now I further see why the brand is terrible, it has a toxic fanbase too.
The Bond Street isn't AE at the top of their game, to be sure. Most of the fellowship on this board would steer clear. They fill a niche, but it isn't one typically held by a member of Styleforum. I am a little surprised to see such a condemnation of the Park Avenue, but it also isn't intended to be a direct competitor of the hand grades. Allen Edmonds has a range of styles and price points. If you are looking for a higher grade calf leather that AE provides, you would want to look at what they call the Independence Collection (Hopkinson, Jefferson, Bartlett, and I think I'm forgetting another style or two).
A significant reason for the following that AE has are the availability of different sizes and shapes of shoes from their various lasts. Not every style is represented on all lasts. With the relatively large availability, there is generally something that will fit everyone quite well. In fact, this is one thing that has kept me away from the UK manufacturers due to needing a narrow width and a low instep. AE has some styles/lasts that work well for me in that regard. I would wager that if you have an opportunity to work with an associate, you could also find yourself an excellent fit with an Allen Edmonds shoe in an acceptable quality leather.

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers ?

Yeah ok @armedferret . The USA is absolutely perfect, with Trump, gun laws, perpetual war, a wall to keep out Mexicans, etc. What a wonderful country. So much sweet freedom in Murica'. Meanwhile, the British 'nanny' state results in healthcare for all and benefits for the disabled.

1. At no point have i ever stated anything about perfection so knock the strawman bullshit off post haste.

2. Gun laws? Lololol we have way too many of those. But hey if we do the british thing and ban em all then all we have to worry about is rental trucks and crowds, and thats way not as bad right?

Relax and have a bourbon and stop being such a wanker.

IMG_20191111_133141_804.jpg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, let's return to civility please. And the topic of shoes. And better grammar than starting two consecutive sentences with the word 'and.'

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would posit that even £150 Russel & Bromley is better quality than AE. Anyway, enjoy your terrible shoes chaps. Only a mug would buy these and support this brand. Cheers.
I guess I have to bone up and find out what a mug is. Although my father told me that I have a mug only a mother could love. He was wrong. I found a heavy duty metal slatted spoon toting women who loves me enough to beat me with said spoon. So, I must be the target customer of AE.

lemmy127

Reaction score

If you had initially articulated that you were disappointed to discover the restocking fee after you received your order, and that you felt the leather quality on the Park Avenue and Bond Street were lacking, and that neither fit you well, rather than throwing out hyperbolic insults about customer service and third tier quality, you would have had a much more pleasant reception and not be accused of being a troll.

Everyone would have agreed with you on the Bond Street not being up to snuff, made sizing suggestions about the notoriously hard to fit 65 last that the Park Avenue is on, and pointed out the Independence line's Hopkinson as an option for better raw materials and last fit.

No one here is a mindless fanboy of AE. We can easily acknowledge their shortcomings. I'm not particularly a fan of the restocking fee either, but I'm guessing that it's the difference between them breaking even and losing money on pairs that get returned multiple times before someone keeps them.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new gentleman seems to think that AE's should not be given away with a pound of tea. However, he might not realise that AE have a wide selection of shoes, which fit all widths, in many different coulors. I'm terribly sorry the factory seconds were not to his liking, but let's all keep a stiff upper lip and try to think of Port Washington, Wisconsin, where AE is made.

Seriously, it's true that AE isn't as nice as $1000 British shoes, but they can be very nice. Shoes like the Barlett, anything in shell cordovan, or the Palm Beach are hard to beat.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sizing question:

I've tried on 11D's in the 65 last twice. First time they fit great. Second pair had a bit of heel slippage. 10.5D was an absolutely non-starter, and the 10.5E was still tight on my pinky toe. Store didn't have any 10.5EE...will that do the trick, or should I stick with 11D (my Brannock size) and hope to get a pair where the heel doesn't slip?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sizing question:

I've tried on 11D's in the 65 last twice. First time they fit great. Second pair had a bit of heel slippage. 10.5D was an absolutely non-starter, and the 10.5E was still tight on my pinky toe. Store didn't have any 10.5EE...will that do the trick, or should I stick with 11D (my Brannock size) and hope to get a pair where the heel doesn't slip?
Some go TTS on 65, and some go down length/up width as you tried. 10.5EE will have a wider heel than 11D (even 10.5E has a slightly wider heel). 10.5EE might have too much volume depending on your lace gap in 11D. It sounds like 11D is your best bet, so I'd give it another try on another pair

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fact is that it's terrible customer service. I won't be buying from them again. They can keep the $50, they obviously need it. Poor quality, ill-fitting third-tier shoes. Will stick to C&J, Trickers & Church's going forward.
Cheers ?

Yeah ok @armedferret . The USA is absolutely perfect, with Trump, gun laws, perpetual war, a wall to keep out Mexicans, etc. What a wonderful country. So much sweet freedom in Murica'. Meanwhile, the British 'nanny' state results in healthcare for all, and housing and benefits for the disabled.
Let us ignore the fact that you bought factory seconds and didn't read the return policy. We can also ignore that you compared FACTORY SECONDS OF CHEAPER SHOES to MORE EXPENSIVE C&J. I very much enjoy my C&Js, I also recognize they are more expensive and not seconds. Ill fitting... hmm lets pretend you definitely bought the correct size (we are all fairly certain you didn't) you expect that all shoes ever made will fit your foot and those that do not are generally "ill fitting?" Odd but let us continue. Did you just insult Trump and a wall while having a blathering idiot named Boris trolling your country so hard with Brexit? Can't wait to see what happens with brexit and Northern Ireland. Give me a break.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
I never had expectations that factory seconds should compete with high-end English shoe makers. I did have expectations as to quality of the shoe (e.g. leather used) and customer service at the price point paid. The leather used is independent of the finishing, and AE's leather used specifically on the Park Avenue and Bond Street is is well below average. This is regardless of whether +- $200 or $395 is paid, the leather is the same.
Now I further see why the brand is terrible, it has a toxic fanbase too.
04F332F8-7B67-45CC-8251-7860D51D5CF7.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads