• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, even got clearance from the bawss to punch a bit early on friday to have plenty of time to change, get down thar, and maybe grab a cocktail and a snack at the Hamilton or Old Ebbitt beforehand. Turns out I'm not the only shell lover in my Squadron. :hide:
Sweet! Glad you're making it. (I obviously wont be there)

Yeah, horween has only done black and #8 shaved this far. AE acquired #8. Navy will kick balls!

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! My wife is out of town, so I could only go if I bring my son. He wants to go, but I am not sure that I could make it in time.

ah bring him. i can let henry know another dudebro's on the way and to save some punch and pie for ya. ;)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah bring him. i can let henry know another dudebro's on the way and to save some punch and pie for ya. ;)
That reminds me that I'd have to figure out food for my son! Ugh... No pies permitted here :) hmm. Lots of things have to come into play--I probably will end up working on a late deadline I bet anyway

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a guide or instructions you've used previously? I see quite a few different techniques when I searched.

I will lay a few different sizes of taps over the front end of the sole to make sure I have the right size tap. Mark off the back line and take about 1 mm off going at it from the tip back. After a couple pairs you can probably get it to come off in one piece. Then use a sanding block to even out the cavity. Lay the tap into the cutout and mark off the screw holes. Drill a “shallow” pilot hole or use screws to make pilot. Glue the cavity and holes and screw it down. I follow up with a hand file to level off the screw tops. Dress the front edge and let dry. I use the flat chisel xacto blade.
64128854-BC71-4FE0-AB87-CCC9FDFDF515.jpeg

Brit-Abroard

Reaction score
I will lay a few different sizes of taps over the front end of the sole to make sure I have the right size tap. Mark off the back line and take about 1 mm off going at it from the tip back. After a couple pairs you can probably get it to come off in one piece. Then use a sanding block to even out the cavity. Lay the tap into the cutout and mark off the screw holes. Drill a “shallow” pilot hole or use screws to make pilot. Glue the cavity and holes and screw it down. I follow up with a hand file to level off the screw tops. Dress the front edge and let dry. I use the flat chisel xacto blade.
View attachment 1242481

So you end up cutting the stitching on the sole? I am going to give a go, but was concerned about cutting the stiching and if it will compromise the sole in any way.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the F1 folks, Lewis currently sits at 63 points clear of his teammate in 2nd.....he needs an additional 15 points by the close of the Mexico GP to clinch the championship by then. that's 4 races out, including this weekend in Singapore. odds are high he's got number 6 locked. and as insufferable as i find him on social media with his preaching about saving the planet/global warming while globetrotting via private jet to his FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX CAREER, you gotta admit the kid knows how to drive a damn car.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. Starting the break in process on the new soles for these CJ PTBs. They started with Dainite and now have double oak, the way the shoe gods intended.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So would you cut around the stitching, remove the leather between each stitch then put the plate over it leaving loose stitching under the plate with glue and screws?

The correct way of doing it is by lightly using a sanding wheel. The only cutting necessary is to neaten up the edge of the sole where the back of the toe plate lies. No glue necessary. I'll post a picture this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads