• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s interesting; how does resetting the heel work? Does it involve modifying the heel stack or trimming down the sole to make the heel sit flat?

I really can't say as I did not see a dramatic difference with the shoes when they were returned from Bedo's. They just sat with the heels flat and felt infinitely better when I walked in them.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. TS 2019 MacNeils for me today.

robster35

Reaction score
That seems a bit severe; I'm 11.5EE and wear 11EEE. Many people go down half a length and up a width, so 10E for you. Have you tried that? I also wonder if you're actually not a 10.5D, and were just not as accurately measured?
A couple different times thats what they measured me as. My toe was actually slightly over the 10.5 mark but not quite to 11. Widthwise i was right on the D line. Ill try the 10E. Ordered a pair from zappos to try. Whatever last the AE Elgins were made on is pretty much perfect for me. Noticably wider in the toe area

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there was similar push back when they first started selling boat shoes?
Good question.
AE has a long history of selling more casual shoes. They sold the Ranch Skos for many, many years (1950s to the 1970s?).
Maybe these athletic-style shoes are just today’s equivalent of the Ranch Skos.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that vein, "Horsin' Around" , maybe? The late, great Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" was a perfect double entendre' that conveyed both the show's subject and his frank outlook and demeanor. Trying to think of something with punch like that. "Runnin' Amock" ? I dunno.
I like both of those, esp. "Horsin' Around"

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple different times thats what they measured me as. My toe was actually slightly over the 10.5 mark but not quite to 11. Widthwise i was right on the D line. Ill try the 10E. Ordered a pair from zappos to try. Whatever last the AE Elgins were made on is pretty much perfect for me. Noticably wider in the toe area
Odd. They're 65 as well, unless they're that pre-201 65 like the old McTavishes and seemingly my Ridgeways.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those of you that have any AE shoes in coffee, how does that look after a good polish?

I just got some boulevards in coffee, looks pretty drab.
As an AE owner of 25 pairs of AE calf, I can honestly say they all need a good polish before they are ready for prime time. AE factory finishes are on the matte side.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yup; navy and green both shipped with brown edges this year. I know something will pop up...a friend was pretty unceremoniously let go Friday as well

Nice. Those look great. I wouldn't have thought about brown edges with those colors, especially blue!

Ugh, tough times. I am just chugging along, but it's hard to feel like it's not personal. Also hard not to take a side, part time job making a small bit to pass the time and show initiative.

Do any of u D width guys go to an EE width on the 65 last?? Ive got a few pair that i purchased TTS. Im 10.5D and thats what a local cobbler said i should go with in the 65 but the more i wear them they just dont feel right. Pinky toe squished. Feel a bit long,etc. Recently i got a deal on some Strands off ebay but was sent a 10 EE instead of 10.5D. I put them on and they felt great but figuring they would end up stretching too wide i sold them. Now im feeling stupid as that was probably the right size for me. I see guys in reviews who normally wear a D width stating they were a EE or even EEE in the 5 Last. Just curious if any of u guys who are D width drop the length and go up to EE or even EEE ?

I suspect you weren't appropriately sized. I thought I was a 12D for years and finally got fitted in my appropriate size, 11D. It's worth the time to get fitted and not waste money/time like I did. Had to sell my entire collection.

I think you should contact one of our favorite Sales Associates; they'll take GREAT care of you.

That seems a bit severe; I'm 11.5EE and wear 11EEE. Many people go down half a length and up a width, so 10E for you. Have you tried that? I also wonder if you're actually not a 10.5D, and were just not as accurately measured?

I concur. I am a fit KING now after my whole ordeal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads