• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitchieBro

Reaction score
I'm curious, what is it that you like better about the Commando?

Olive Neumok's arrived today right before I left for work. The mailman pulled up and hollered at me to not leave yet because the box required a signature (it was coming from Germany). Our local USPS guy is awesome. First impression is that they fit tighter than expected, which is good news. Pics coming tomorrow. It's May at this is the my first purchase of 2019.

The look, and I have the Commando on my camo HM’s and I like the feel and comfort more than Dainite.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alden boot Appreciation for dinner out with Mrs Smfdoc. AE 48 inch laces to keep it on topic.

360E2AA9-225B-4ABC-BF2A-8E5D28304A2F.jpeg

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non AE. I'm starting to think the rain will never stop. Natty CXL

View attachment 1169483

Do you think it will EVER be spring/dry/sunny in Illinois this year?

No, it seema like we will go from weeks of 50 and rain straight to 90 and summer.

On that note...I wore dainite soled Fifth Aves today to combat the weather. 13 hours on parking lots, sidewalks, and industrial carpeted concrete floors. I will no longer be defending the comfort of dainite. My feet are KILLING me.
20190502_115609.jpg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fail to see the point of "manity" sizing. Call 'em what they are and be done with it is what I say.
And with many belt makers it's the opposite, "add two inches to your pant size". Maybe "manity" is the reason? Hmmm. Actually, it is for me. My measured 40" waist takes "size" 38 pants and a size 40 belt. There ya go.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And with many belt makers it's the opposite, "add two inches to your pant size". So I guess the two average out? I dunno.
A belt is made to fasten on the second hole. So a 34 inch belt needs two inches to make the correct hole.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have worked as a Menswear designer my entire career and I really hated to see this come about. Over the last several years it happened. I fought it but lost. To be honest it tends to be portly upper management feeling better about buying a 40 or 42 instead of a 42 or 44.
I have had to downsize one inch size in trousers. My true waist stayed the same (and wearing the same rise....as the rise lowers the hip gets wider).
Most trouser specs are now 1 7/8 to 2 over nude body. A far cry from the old days of being measured and knowing what size to select.
Now ,like womenswear, each brand has their own new set of oversized specs. Still not a fan of Manity sizing. Poor bastards on the really thin size might as well shop the boys department.
So, what you're saying is, I'm not really getting thinner?? Jeez.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hollywood Park Race Track closed in 2013. Santa Anita Race Track is having some Kentucky Derby related events on Saturday. (I'm not going although I will be in Pasadena, which is fairly close to Santa Anita.)

I got my Lock & Company boater at Brooks Brothers in the early seventies.

View attachment 1169584

This picture was taken a few years at a Dapper Day event at the Los Angeles County Museum Of Art. My goal that day was to take a picture with anyone else who was wearing a straw boater, a bow tie, a seersucker suit, and spectator shoes. (This is the only other person who was.)

It was a lovely day for the event. The temperature was around 100F with very high humidity.

For fans of seersucker, this picture shows the difference between an old (undarted) Brooks Brothers seersucker suit and a more recent (darted) Polo Ralph Lauren seersucker suit. One the the ladies he was with took this picture. She told us to button our jackets, which we both did (although neither of us did a good job of buttoning our jackets). Had she not told us to do this, his suspenders (some of the most wonderful suspenders I have ever seen) probably would have showed in this picture. Now all this picture shows is how promptly we both follow instructions from ladies.

If you had more time you could have looked online and ordered a hat from someplace like Village Hat Shop or one of the other online sellers.
Very sharp, both of you. And I really think you excel in blues and reds. Good show.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
An interesting surprise just turned up today. These aren't first quality but they are pretty good for 2nds. I did a once over with VSC and some vigorous brushing. I also worked away some of the toe burnishing, although not completely successful.

Unfortunately, the images are likely not that color accurate since it's 11:30pm here and there's obviously no natural light to be had.

20190502_232529.jpg
20190502_232515.jpg
20190502_232454.jpg
20190502_232447.jpg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A belt is made to fasten on the second hole. So a 34 inch belt needs two inches to make the correct hole.
Yes, they are aiming for buckling at the middle of what is usually either three, five or seven holes, both for symmetry, the correct amount of belt "tail", and to have equal leeway in either direction should the wearer gain or lose in waist size.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An interesting surprise just turned up today. These aren't first quality but they are pretty good for 2nds. I did a once over with VSC and some vigorous brushing. I also worked away some of the toe burnishing, although not completely successful.

Unfortunately, the images are likely not that color accurate since it's 11:30pm here and there's obviously no natural light to be had.

View attachment 1169624 View attachment 1169625 View attachment 1169626 View attachment 1169627

Congrats, that's a hell of a find for seconds. I will eventually try a pair of Leeds in shell.

JohnPatShop

Reaction score
Well gentlemen, I've got an interesting story and I'm not sure how I feel about it. A bit guilty, but at the same time I feel like a savvy consumer. So a couple months ago I bought a pair of brown Strandmok firsts with the $75 off coupon plus the 15% discount, coming to roughly $230. When they came in I was a bit disappointed. The heel was separating at the corner of one of the shoes, and the stitching was sloppy, going over the brogueing. So after some deliberation I decided to send them back for a refund and try for another pair. The new pair is great, btw. So anyway, there's a seller on eBay I follow who stocks thousands of AEs that range from "new with defects" to "pre-owned", and I always wondered where he got his stock from. Lo and behold, my returned Strandmoks popped up in his store the other day for $170. I instantly recognized the flaws and submitted an offer for $130.00. It was accepted right away. So now there's a nagging...feeling. I did not mean to intentionally "game" the system, but I got a great deal on some practically brand new shoes, only worn by me, for $215 off MSRP. Granted, I don't know the status of the heel separation issue, but I figure it should be an easy fix for a local cobbler if necessary. The first pic below is when the shoes were new, and the second is from ebay. You can see the patina on the toe matches, and the same black scuffs on the very front are also present.

View attachment 1169294

View attachment 1169295
I don't get it. Did you return the second new pair that was good quality and just end up with your $130 eBay seconds?
If you kept both, there's nothing underhanded at all. You bought two new pairs of shoes for $360 or whatever.
If you only kept the eBay seconds, then yeah it's not quite generous, but thoroughly within good behaviour.
There's people out there that "rent" shoes using Nordstrom's return policy.

Last edited:

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Picked up those Broadstreets. They will be a bit of a stretch for me, having never worn spectators before. lol!

Congrats! And what a great pair to start with.

Make sure the stamp on the sole isn’t completely worn off. What stamp? The one that says:

**CAUTION** May cause spontaneous compliments!

Enjoy.

TheTripletDaddy

Reaction score
Worried about nothing or everything? I’m super reluctant to wear any of my shell in the rain, regardless of sole type. Really worried about getting “welt droplets” that never really seem to go away. I don’t have this problem with calf (it dries and back to normal). Is this just a matter or needing more cordovan polish to form a more impermeable barrier to the rain or just leaving the shell at home when there’s a chance of water droplets falling from the sky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads