• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shhQuiet

Reaction score
I suggest April 5th. How do you feel about a nice welted Penny Loafer? McGraw and Randolph comes to mind. But if you are looking for rubber sole, then options are a bit limited. If you like tassels the Acheson in dark chili is a winner in my book. Classified as a dress loafer but it dresses down much better than Grayson. Bit loafers as a style just don’t do it for me. Unless you are talking a lizard bit loafer.

Thanks for the April 5th heads-up. I guess penny loafers are not my fav style. Tassels and English bit are more my preference.

As far as rubber sole, I assume they can be replaced more easily than a new outsole?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn pop ups seem to be triggered when hitting the like button. :/
I've moved entirely to the Brave browser on PC and phone because of this issue, and it has eliminated pop-ups entirely - very awesome and compatible with most Chrome plug-ins. Also appears to be a pretty secure/private browser too...

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Feel free to call me out if this is a madhat specific issue, but I gave up on my FA's hooks today as it's 3 hours into wear with four reties due to laces falling off hooks. I rarely have this issue with the larger HM hooks or Alden's hooks. I think I just might convert them to eyelets.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel free to call me out if this is a madhat specific issue, but I gave up on my FA's hooks today as it's 3 hours into wear with four reties due to laces falling off hooks. I rarely have this issue with the larger HM hooks or Alden's hooks. I think I just might convert them to eyelets.
If they're coming off the hooks, it would seem like they're not laced tight enough.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If they're coming off the hooks, it would seem like they're not laced tight enough.
I agree with this assessment, but I am lacing them the same as I do all of my other boots or tighter. To keep them secure I have to have them uncomfortably tight...maybe I'm not as tolerant to boots telling my feet they aren't allowed to get blood as others!

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
898E8E8C-81E7-4A76-8081-DA4ACBFE0FF9.jpeg

F5E035E6-6D6D-4597-A322-5395C8EB1711.jpeg

A fine and pleasant Monday to you, fellow enthusiasts. I guess this counts as part of the Hubbins AW18 Greatest Hits Tour. Spier & Mackay moleskin pants and OCBD, Lands’ End cotton v-neck, AE basic af dress belt and brown shell Strands. Have a prosperous week.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1149399
View attachment 1149400
A fine and pleasant Monday to you, fellow enthusiasts. I guess this counts as part of the Hubbins AW18 Greatest Hits Tour. Spier & Mackay moleskin pants and OCBD, Lands’ End cotton v-neck, AE basic af dress belt and brown shell Strands. Have a prosperous week.

As I see you wearing it often, I hope you are enjoying your Schott coat as much as I have this season.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some great looking TS2019 shoes on this page gentlemen!

I broke the Florsheim 93605 vintage shell back out from hibernation today. Based on date codes, these are 37 years old. Have a good one fellas!
20190325_075431-jpg.1149303
20190325_075209-jpg.1149302
Wow. Pretty awesome and well done, sir.

I specifically recall around the start of my career back in '84 and being needled by a friend for wearing (fuddy-duddy) wingtips, and yes they were big, beautiful Florsheims (but not shell).

I'm new to this thread and was just mentioning to a friend how it is both ironic and gratifying to see these same styles appreciated, loved and embraced today by a new generation of style conscious men. And that I get to join in!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. Pretty awesome and well done, sir.

I specifically recall around the start of my career back in '84 and being needled by a friend for wearing (fuddy-duddy) wingtips, and yes they were big, beautiful Florsheims (but not shell).

I'm new to this thread and was just mentioning to a friend how it is both ironic and gratifying to see these same styles appreciated, loved and embraced today by a new generation of style conscious men. And that I get to join in!
Check out the vintage thread if you really want to see appreciation.
Also, vcleat.com

fourdoggies

Reaction score
IMG_0420.jpg
Love these shoes.

Unfortunately, the heels squeak like I was just walking through wet grass so I'm going to have to stop by my local AE to see what they suggest.

Also, someone a few days back said that AE told them they still had some blue shell. Has anyone else heard that as well?

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1149432 Love these shoes.

Unfortunately, the heels squeak like I was just walking through wet grass so I'm going to have to stop by my local AE to see what they suggest.

Also, someone a few days back said that AE told them they still had some blue shell. Has anyone else heard that as well?
those are head turners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics