• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phoenix Zoo Lights last night, wearing the Overlords...
3AFD4314-D5DB-4D8D-87BF-72CB442771D1.jpeg

And some of the Zoo lights...
6F51CB18-F8C0-4C72-AAA5-36172FB5C224.jpeg

And my favorite, our national symbol!
CF5DD4FE-89E3-4C66-9357-F2E787FC880D.jpeg

drcharlie

Reaction score
Stop laughing, doesn’t everyone use their two-drawer lateral file cabinet for shoe storage?!?

I do. I have been keeping my perfect-fit, "nice" shoes in a lateral file cabinet in my office. I have been wearing my imperfect-fit shoes back and forth to work. At the start and end of the workday, I have been changing shoes. This is very practical, albeit tiresome. Once the imperfect-fitting shoes wear down a little more, I may just take all the nicer shoes home and enjoy commuting with them too.

More importantly, I have found that the 565 last is the one for me. I have a decent collection now, and I will just buy those in the future. On Dec 26, I picked up brown McAllister seconds from Shoebank. They came from the CAC warehouse, which is now in central TN. I got them one day later. They are not marked as seconds with a stamp on the sole. There are trivial imperfections. These may have been firsts--hard to say. They do fit and look great. I can't believe AE is selling out brown burnished. Such a versatile color.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do. I have been keeping my perfect-fit, "nice" shoes in a lateral file cabinet in my office. I have been wearing my imperfect-fit shoes back and forth to work. At the start and end of the workday, I have been changing shoes. This is very practical, albeit tiresome. Once the imperfect-fitting shoes wear down a little more, I may just take all the nicer shoes home and enjoy commuting with them too.

More importantly, I have found that the 565 last is the one for me. I have a decent collection now, and I will just buy those in the future. On Dec 26, I picked up brown McAllister seconds from Shoebank. They came from the CAC warehouse, which is now in central TN. I got them one day later. They are not marked as seconds with a stamp on the sole. There are trivial imperfections. These may have been firsts--hard to say. They do fit and look great. I can't believe AE is selling out brown burnished. Such a versatile color.
Was it a brown or bourbon mcallister? The latter are clearances and could be firsts.

drcharlie

Reaction score
Was it a brown or bourbon mcallister? The latter are clearances and could be firsts.

Listed as brown burnished. I have conditioned them with Saphir Renovateur to soften the leather during the break-in process. I did not follow-up with polish. They are not a dark brown burnished, though. In its unpolished state, they look like a shade between the normal brown burnished and bourbon.
sx8Ufm8GTXyIYrTJA3KRqw_thumb_22aa.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_22a9.jpg

drcharlie

Reaction score
Shoebank still has more of these brown burnished McAllisters in the warehouse and available for $177. I got them for $177 - 20% + tax. So, the total was about $150. I wonder if they have a bunch of brown burnished to sell and they are willing to sell their inventory as either first or seconds. I don't understand AE's business practices anymore. They are undergoing a "not so smooth" transition. A few weeks ago I bought a belt, cream polish, leather lotion, and four pairs of laces. They charged each item separately and shipped by Fedex in three shipments. Chaos. Just glad to pick up these McAllisters. I wish I would have discovered my "best fit" before having to buy/sell and buy/wear-out. Oh well. Live and learn.
Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 10.48.15 AM.jpg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little suede love to start the work year off for me, too (honestly forgot about wingtip Wednesday).
View attachment 1099420
These appear to have a brown tint to them more than the gray of the pants. Not sure I am a fan of this combo and will have to rethink the pants for the next pairing.

Since this is my first day back to the office, I had a few boxes waiting for me. So based on the loosely defined rules, here is the start to my 2019 acquisitions:
View attachment 1099421
Black & white Broadstreets
Tan MacNeil 5’s
Brown Sullivan Streets
Gray Heinrichs

Stop laughing, doesn’t everyone use their two-drawer lateral file cabinet for shoe storage?!?

And finally:
View attachment 1099456
Bourbon Delrays
Burgundy shell Cambridge

Second day of the year and already at six. I’m gonna be in trouble.

@RitchieBro I would not, but that opens the door to negotiation and education if they don’t know what they are buying.
Going to need more photos of the MacNeil 5s, please.
Does the label on the drawer read "SHOES"?
If it's anything like my office, all drawers are labeled "Reference Only."
Phoenix Zoo Lights last night, wearing the Overlords...
View attachment 1099473

And some of the Zoo lights...
View attachment 1099474

And my favorite, our national symbol!
View attachment 1099475
Oh wow, we were so close to going last night! Our local bias kicked in and we decided against going out on the coldest night of the year. Went out to dinner instead.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to where @M2511 is and want to see what he accumulated.

I'm still here, was out of town so I had a ton of pages to scan through. I thought I posted acquisitions from 2018 at some point in that thread but without photos. It might take a while and most of it won't be AE but I could probably wrangle together photos. I still haven't worn several of them from 2018. I have 3 outstanding preorders from 2018 too so my 2019 ledger is clean, for now.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoebank still has more of these brown burnished McAllisters in the warehouse and available for $177. I got them for $177 - 20% + tax. So, the total was about $150. I wonder if they have a bunch of brown burnished to sell and they are willing to sell their inventory as either first or seconds. I don't understand AE's business practices anymore. They are undergoing a "not so smooth" transition. A few weeks ago I bought a belt, cream polish, leather lotion, and four pairs of laces. They charged each item separately and shipped by Fedex in three shipments. Chaos. Just glad to pick up these McAllisters. I wish I would have discovered my "best fit" before having to buy/sell and buy/wear-out. Oh well. Live and learn.
View attachment 1099487
I'm going out on a limb about this based on some other experiences. I think that the reason for the multiple shipments is inventory reduction and management through use of enterprise software. If the company can leverage the stock of each store, then collectively they can have lower stock levels and use less warehouse space. From the consumer (us) perspective, it seems a bit off when you get five packages for six items, but it can make sense from the large seller perspective.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EE098622-9267-4760-8C82-BCFA20D7A53F.jpeg
Went with 5th Streets today. My SA found these when all hope was gone.

Christopher Alan

Reaction score
Audog and others that were interested in more variations of the Caen boot, I have bad news regarding that boot. It is being discontinued altogether. Once the current colors sell out, there will be no more Caen offerings.

If you really like that boot, you’d better get them while you can!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy New Year forum pals. Sadly, back to work. Blue shell MacNeils you have all seen before. Just to give you something to think about should the rumored trunk show ever materialize.

IMG_4183.jpg
IMG_4180.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads