• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM21

Reaction score
I ordered all 5 last Wednesday and look what was on my doorstep today [emoji16]. I didn't think they would get here that fast, I just got back in town this evening.

All of them fit and look great but the cornwallis has some ripples in the leather on the inside part of each shoe. It is hard to see in the pictures. They look better when I am wearing them, can hardly notice and it's on the inside half of each shoe. Will it get better when they start to form to my foot?

The Long Branches in Golden Brown are MUCH darker in person, they still look good. I was just expecting a lighter color of brown. When I take a picture of them though, they look the same color as on the AE site.
20190218_180210.jpeg
20190218_180034.jpeg

Shoonoob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently had a good shell sale during Christmas time. That was the first time I’ve seen a sale promoting shell but I’m sure the experts on the board will know more.
I really think that sale was to move shell they had in stock and see if they still had enough good craftsmen in house to run the trunk show without the end product being a total disaster. I doubt we will ever see firsts in shell that cheap again.
Edit: I am not an expert on this board! Just a humble opinion.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dang it, you guys. I didn't need to know the shell wallets were that cheap. Plus I just found out there is brown. How long does this price last? The price is pretty darned good considering it has shell inside too. Dang it.

yeah I bought a brown to go with my brown shell trunk show orders but at $170 I'm thinking about black and #8 as well . . . . . . for reasons

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think the 5A is a safer bet if a young man is getting one pair of shoes to interview in. I don’t think that if you have multiple interviews that all will be in the most formal of settings. The 5A is suit worthy but can also be dressed down to odd trousers and sport coat. Or even slacks and OCBD. I do not equate the term dressier with more formal. Although I would have called it a more versatile cousin of the formal PA.
Certainly. The 5A is suit worthy. I disagree with walnut strand being an interview shoe certainty, but it is possible.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

cardsfan89

Reaction score
yeah I bought a brown to go with my brown shell trunk show orders but at $170 I'm thinking about black and #8 as well . . . . . . for reasons

Don’t forget Ashland’s green/navy/whisky to match the other trunk show colors ;)

Back in December someone here weaseled me into a garnet bifold wallet of theirs on MD and it seems solid

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered all 5 last Wednesday and look what was on my doorstep today [emoji16]. I didn't think they would get here that fast, I just got back in town this evening.

All of them fit and look great but the cornwallis has some ripples in the leather on the inside part of each shoe. It is hard to see in the pictures. They look better when I am wearing them, can hardly notice and it's on the inside half of each shoe. Will it get better when they start to form to my foot?

The Long Branches in Golden Brown are MUCH darker in person, they still look good. I was just expecting a lighter color of brown. When I take a picture of them though, they look the same color as on the AE site. View attachment 1129318 View attachment 1129319
First off, good haul. You certainly covered style and color bases well. The Carlyle will not get better with wear. But it will look a bit better after a good polish. I believe you got that entire purchase at 30% off. If it were me, it would be 50/50 that I would even bother with trying to exchange. Since I live close to an AE retail, I would most likely call and see if they have my size for exchange. If they do, then I would drive over and convince my SA to shelf that pair until the exchange pair comes in. Then you would be able to walk out with the best pair. Below are two dark chili Leiden weaves. Both are very good build wise but look at the color variation.
636B0CE6-17DB-4E5E-ABBB-03DB1F12DC8B.jpeg
One of these was an in store purchase that they had shipped to my house. The SA did not give me the 30% off because the brick and mortar stores were not allowed to give it till after the weekend. But when I saw the online platform was giving it, I kinda got aggravated and had the other one shipped to me for $82 less. Got them both on Wednesday and brought one back Wednesday night. AE is like a box of chocolates after all.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late post from Friday. More snow. Longbranches

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190215162756811_COVER.jpg

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late Saturday post. More snow.

Natty higs

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190216172100067_COVER.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads