• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Boulevards in dark chili arrived today, and I'm slightly less enthusiastic about them than I was about my MacNeil delivery (same color) a week or so back.

The MacNeil looks like a million bucks. The dark chili on the MacNeil looks fantastic with great "3-D" red and ochre subtleties. With the Bullies, on the other hand, it's sort of a uniform, nondescript mud color, with none of the burnishing characteristics of the MacNeil. Further, there's a thin line along where the toe cap meets the vamp where upon close inspection the color wasn't fully applied. It's only apparent from a few inches away anyhow, and I'm not bothered enough to return them in light of the $160 I paid. Just kind of weird.

The AE website picture sold me on the Boulevard in dark chili. Looking at the photo, I can't decide if I want to wear them or eat them. On the other hand, the MacNeil in dark chili looks just like the photos on the website...

View attachment 1297308
Give me a uniform color anytime. With a little shoe maintenance and wear, you might be surprised how they build character over time.

Rufian

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the AE nomad buck? This comes in last 42N

42N LAST
This is a variation on the 42 last. All characteristics are the same but there is a 3mm footbed allowance for the removable LightForm footbed featured in the Nomad collection. This would be classified as a “relaxed fit” in our newer terminology.

The last 65 doesn't fit me well and the only last I can wear for now is 201. The only last I've tried is 65 and 201.

I know this nomad buck is suede, so it'd be more comfortable than leather shoes, but what about the fit. I'm concerned I will buy a pair off eBay and I don't like the fit or won't find them as comfortable as I'd like. If I buy them, it'd be from someone who offers returns though.

What is this "lightform" footbed. This is featherwelt so technically should be more comfortable than bench.

I'm wearing 11D on the Hopkinson and not sure if I'd be 11D on the Nomad. People would say go try at the store but is one hour away, plus the two times I went there, I didn't buy anything and they know me already lol don't wanna go there just to try the shoes and waste people's times plus what if they don't have my size.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the AE nomad buck? This comes in last 42N

42N LAST
This is a variation on the 42 last. All characteristics are the same but there is a 3mm footbed allowance for the removable LightForm footbed featured in the Nomad collection. This would be classified as a “relaxed fit” in our newer terminology.

The last 65 doesn't fit me well and the only last I can wear for now is 201. The only last I've tried is 65 and 201.

I know this nomad buck is suede, so it'd be more comfortable than leather shoes, but what about the fit. I'm concerned I will buy a pair off eBay and I don't like the fit or won't find them as comfortable as I'd like. If I buy them, it'd be from someone who offers returns though.

What is this "lightform" footbed. This is featherwelt so technically should be more comfortable than bench.

I'm wearing 11D on the Hopkinson and not sure if I'd be 11D on the Nomad. People would say go try at the store but is one hour away, plus the two times I went there, I didn't buy anything and they know me already lol don't wanna go there just to try the shoes and waste people's times plus what if they don't have my size.

Try 11.5D then

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are interested or thinking about picking these up, so far the leather on these boots has thoroughly impressed me. Yesterday I scuffed up the toe as I lazily walked up a flight of stairs at work in the morning and after 20 seconds of brushing with a pig bristle brush it 100 percent disappeared. I also previously banged the back of the boot into my office chair and it left a scuff that I could feel, but it also completely disappeared after a bit of brushing (not even a dent as I have experienced with CXL). I have no idea what kind of magic sauce is in this "weatherproof" leather, but I have found out that it is made by Weinheimer Leather out of Germany. I'd be curious to know the exact name of it as Weinheimer seems to offer a couple water repellent grain leathers. Any one have any idea @ae_ashley ?
I'll see if I can't get more details for you. I'll report back tomorrow, lol.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merlot Randolph incoming.
Allegedly.

Now confirmed. Finally got the shipping notice front the warehouse. I probably sound like a complete goob talking about Bartlett’s and Jefferson’s then 5 minutes later posting about Randolph (that’s why you LOL isn’t it @ProfilaBinding :cool:) but the truth is that the Queen Weasel found them for me and since I’ve never owned a loafer in my life, I figured I needed to take advantage of it. It’s the last pair of 1sts in the warehouse:cool::cool::cool:. Now let’s hope they fit!

Blue_Bowtie

Reaction score
Hamilton’s got the call today! These are proving to be super versatile with my wardrobe. Chinos from Spier & Mackay.
2414D459-A41E-4B22-8B0A-994C1C621DFB.jpeg

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try 11.5D then

I could give you my sleep-deprivation cranky rant about how the Boone & CM Leeds are better and you shouldn't waste your time but gotta tink happy thoughts today.

Think of it like "families." You have two brothers - the 65 & 201. Lots of people really like the 65, but he doesn't work for everyone - especially high instep people. So that's were his little bro comes in. Only trouble is some people now think the 201 feels too long. So the 65 got a cousin, the 42, where the shape was held the same, but the cone height was raised way up to compensate. Might have been a little too much for some people, but it seems like no one actually tried it given that the prime styles were the Tates & Whitneys which I know people on this board...didn't care for that much. So in typical AE fashion, rather than making a small tweak, they swung the pendulum way in the other direction and came up with the 42N which basically sucks out all of the added room from the 42 and winds up being even smaller and less volume. I don't know what most people think of the 42N, but it worked pretty well for me in general, and as ProfilaBinding knows, when Neo says "this works for me," it's usually a bad sign for basically everyone else.

Not going to forget about little bro the 201. He also got a cousin, the 2531, which pushed the elongation even further and coupled with the 201's raised cone height was also kind of a problematic fit that may have worked for some but not most.

All related. The 97, 145, 234, 000 and 511 are all quite similar also.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now confirmed. Finally got the shipping notice front the warehouse. I probably sound like a complete goob talking about Bartlett’s and Jefferson’s then 5 minutes later posting about Randolph (that’s why you LOL isn’t it @ProfilaBinding :cool:) but the truth is that the Queen Weasel found them for me and since I’ve never owned a loafer in my life, I figured I needed to take advantage of it. It’s the last pair of 1sts in the warehouse:cool::cool::cool:. Now let’s hope they fit!

Fingers crossed you's got a REALLY low instep....:)

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can't get more details for you. I'll report back tomorrow, lol.

If possible, I would love to know what information AE would give to justify the "weatherproof" designation for the new HMs over the CXL version, whether it be the exterior leather, something on the inside, whatever it may be. When I asked the associates at my retail store, they basically said the weatherproof HM would be equivalent to the CXL, which didn't make sense to me.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If possible, I would love to know what information AE would give to justify the "weatherproof" designation for the new HMs over the CXL version, whether it be the exterior leather, something on the inside, whatever it may be. When I asked the associates at my retail store, they basically said the weatherproof HM would be equivalent to the CXL, which didn't make sense to me.

From the "feel" it's the same leather as the WP Dalton I reviewed for Dappered a few weeks back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads