• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can one make their own "deer bone" for use on shoes from what's in the box?

Sadly no as there was a pre-existing prohibition (despite not being in a cwd area) on bringing bone (other than head for trophy) back into the country. So it's just meat and head.

But i have at least 2 smallerish femurs from an earlier harvest in the freezer. Those hindquarters will probably be utilized in thanksgiving dinner so if a certain fella messaged me his info he'd be likely to get one. :hide:

(One is promised to another user but as i've got two.....)

Also here's a cool owl who was totally chill while i stood about 8 feet away snappin frames. In my Sturgis 2.0.

owl1.jpg

I didn't actually hunt in the Sturgis; temps ranging in the -20*C locale as well as 6-8 inches of fresh powder, coupled with soles that likely need a replace soon (potter and sons in Nash ftw on that btw, trenton and heath on youtube) meant my goretex combats got the nod.

I do need some insulated waterproofs for activities like this....

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the deer bone, i have one wired to a tree for cleaning out the back 40. Should be able to give it a go on my daltons in the next week or so to see what happens.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little brown in town this morning with an eccru shirt. These haven't seen the light of day in quite some time.

Brown shell in sunlight is just sublime. Looks like Hershey's chocolate.
IMG_20191110_081914452_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20191110_082000045_HDR.jpg

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thankfully with one being a C-bag and the other full of frozen meat and a decapitated head--thus marked "time and temperature sensitive"--the chances of loss are, inshallah, quite slim. Airlines have, by federal law, 72 hours to get lost military bags to their final destination. Nobody likes paying for DHL express to somewhere like Syria or Afghanistan, so they tend to be attentive when handling them.
Glad you are home safely!

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing.
Which bone is typically used? Does it have any treatment prior to use?
I’ll cool it on posting about these, but I’ve been finding the waxed suede super interesting. Got some macro shots
View attachment 1276702
View attachment 1276703
I am highly interested in how these develop. Please don't stop posting about these!
As to the deer bone, i have one wired to a tree for cleaning out the back 40. Should be able to give it a go on my daltons in the next week or so to see what happens.
I recall reading that the deer bone sold for cordovan care is infused/stuffed with oils and fats. With that in mind, I don't think simply drying out a leg bone from a fresh kill is likely to produce the desired effect. You would still need to apply a conditioning lubricant (bick 4, VSC, whatever). At which point, are you really better off than just using a spoon?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly no as there was a pre-existing prohibition (despite not being in a cwd area) on bringing bone (other than head for trophy) back into the country. So it's just meat and head.

But i have at least 2 smallerish femurs from an earlier harvest in the freezer. Those hindquarters will probably be utilized in thanksgiving dinner so if a certain fella messaged me his info he'd be likely to get one. :hide:

(One is promised to another user but as i've got two.....)

Also here's a cool owl who was totally chill while i stood about 8 feet away snappin frames. In my Sturgis 2.0.

View attachment 1276708

I didn't actually hunt in the Sturgis; temps ranging in the -20*C locale as well as 6-8 inches of fresh powder, coupled with soles that likely need a replace soon (potter and sons in Nash ftw on that btw, trenton and heath on youtube) meant my goretex combats got the nod.

I do need some insulated waterproofs for activities like this....

Thanks for the up-close look at this beautiful creature.

Had to look it up but for anyone interested, that is a Great Grey Owl. Standing at 24-33" and sporting an up to 5 ft. wingspan, it is the largest species of owl in North America.

I believe it was giving a nod of approval to your recent attire as one of its signature markings is two white bars centered on a black spot at the neck giving the illusion of a bow tie.

Last edited:

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question Gents and @ae_ashley.
Shell cordovan Randolph, true to size? I'm 10D in pretty much everything lace up, not dialed in on slip on loafers. Thanks for any advice and assistance!
Loafers are so hard to size. Randolphs in my Braddock size slip in the heel. I have two pair of shell Randolph loafers with that problem. They are 9.5D’s. I put a tongue pad in, which maybe helped a little? Have never tried a size down in that model.
I have a couple pairs of shell Patriots in 9D. They fit better in the heel, but are tight over the arch.
Interested in other’s responses.

Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers are so hard to size. Randolphs in my Braddock size slip in the heel. I have two pair of shell Randolph loafers with that problem. They are 9.5D’s. I put a tongue pad in, which maybe helped a little? Have never tried a size down in that model.
I have a couple pairs of shell Patriots in 9D. They fit better in the heel, but are tight over the arch.
Interested in others responses.
My shell cordo Winchesters were tight across the vamp, and my canvas Graysons have too much heel slip. Was thinking of trying the Randolph, so I'm reaching out to the braintrust. Lbvs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads