• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

srlclark

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the taupe suede Strand, which was recently added to the website? Seen it in person? Judging from the photos, it looks a little flatter than the clearance loden (and far flatter than the brown/snuff suede that's obviously the wheelhouse suede color for the Strand these days).

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage of the Bradley in Garnet Shell. Super comfortable.
Photo Sep 21, 9 14 50 AM.jpg
Photo Sep 21, 9 15 15 AM.jpg

Sign up for the Brown Shell Macneil GMTO for an equally awesome and comfortable pair!

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the taupe suede Strand, which was recently added to the website? Seen it in person? Judging from the photos, it looks a little flatter than the clearance loden (and far flatter than the brown/snuff suede that's obviously the wheelhouse suede color for the Strand these days).

Haven't seen them in person yet, but I'm assuming these are the same ones in the fall catalog that looked so great. Or maybe those were specifically "dark taupe".

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haven't seen them in person yet, but I'm assuming these are the same ones in the fall catalog that looked so great. Or maybe those were specifically "dark taupe".
Same thing. It's the new color that comes on the Caen and Taints. Someone saw it in person and said it was quite nice. I think it was @marker2037 ?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In person, it looks an awful lot like the recently discontinued Loden Suede Strand. Maybe a little darker. It's been a while since I've seen the Loden suede in person. Anyway, not really 'taupe' imo. Wish AE had some of the mushroom suede I see from other makers. That would be the stuff.

srlclark

Reaction score
In person, it looks an awful lot like the recently discontinued Loden Suede Strand. Maybe a little darker. It's been a while since I've seen the Loden suede in person. Anyway, not really 'taupe' imo. Wish AE had some of the mushroom suede I see from other makers. That would be the stuff.

So, I think of the loden as a sort of grayish green. In natural light, it's much greener, but in artificial light, it's quite subdued and not very saturated (I have Dundee 2.0 seconds in loden but am likely returning it, because I got both loden and snuff/brown and prefer the latter. But it was a really good price ($109.60) and the flaw is very difficult to spot, so I might keep both. I prefer Loake's olive suede as a green - because it really is green. I suppose the underlying hues are brown, but brown doesn't flatten out the green in the way that the gray in the loden does in some lights. If you get a chance, check out photos of Loake's green/olive Pimlico).

The photos of the taupe online make it look pretty gray. Perhaps a brownish gray, but more gray than brown. I'd ordinarily think of taupe as a pretty even mixture of gray and brown. Is that what you mean by mushroom? Or are you imagining something greener?

srlclark

Reaction score

I didn't read the catalog closely. There's a chance I threw it away accidentally while taking out recycling. So, I didn't see the photos. Do you have a link to the online version by any chance?

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I think of the loden as a sort of grayish green. In natural light, it's much greener, but in artificial light, it's quite subdued and not very saturated (I have Dundee 2.0 seconds in loden but am likely returning it, because I got both loden and snuff/brown and prefer the latter. But it was a really good price ($109.60) and the flaw is very difficult to spot, so I might keep both. I prefer Loake's olive suede as a green - because it really is green. I suppose the underlying hues are brown, but brown doesn't flatten out the green in the way that the gray in the loden does in some lights. If you get a chance, check out photos of Loake's green/olive Pimlico).

The photos of the taupe online make it look pretty gray. Perhaps a brownish gray, but more gray than brown. I'd ordinarily think of taupe as a pretty even mixture of gray and brown. Is that what you mean by mushroom? Or are you imagining something greener?
This is what I mean...

https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/trickers/robert-suede-derby-shoes/841690

I think Mr Porter also carries an EG Dover in the same suede. Beautiful stuff.

srlclark

Reaction score

Thanks. I decided not to be lazy and did a google search myself, too. Sorry about that.

I'm not wild about the taupe Strand. It's fine, but I still prefer it in snuff/brown.

But one thing I very much like about the catalog is that it doesn't appear that walnut is staying as dark as it's been for the last year or 18 months. At least not in most of the photos - the walnut McAllister does look pretty dark, but the Strand, Cornwallis, and Park Avenue look more like the older walnut, which I at least love ("flashy" though it may be). I hope that's true, as I'd like to get a walnut Cornwallis in the next six months or so and if walnut does continue to be dark, I might have to ask them to do it MTO in the older shade rather than adding so much brown to it.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing mine today, too. I'm really loving this shoe and actively look to wear it often.

@St Hubbins if you're sitting on these unworn, get off the fence already!
I am absolutely not returing them. I am cherishing them. They will be worn in the coming weeks. I do almost wish I had them in Walnut as well, especially if I could get them for $149.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is pretty spot on. It is one of the reasons I never really wore it. Unless it was in the sun it never really looked green to me, it looked grey. If I cannot sell them at a price I find acceptable I guess I'll try to find ways to make them work but I really didn't like the loden strands paired up with anything other than khaki. Snuff was much more versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads