• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 4 of them in the set. I would also like to find a pewter serving tray. I got these at an estate auction so I would guess they are 10oz or so. I'm glad to hear you follow procedure. So many people I see just pick it up and ruin the frost.

P.S Woodbury makes nice stuff.

I've chewed out friends for grabbing it like a normal cup- the frost isn't just beautiful, but also keeps the drink cold. I don't know how many times I've had to explain that to people lol.

On the serving tray, I'm looking at a couple simple round or oval ones from both Salisbury and Woodbury. It would be nice if I could find one that matches the beading on the cups, but I haven't really seen anything that jumps out at me.

Echoes14

Reaction score
Quick check in from Arkansas. I'd share a photo of the way I'm making other motorists' day better but the editor isn't working properly from my phone.
frown.gif

I'll warn my family. If you're close to Carlisle, stop at Nick's BBQ and Catfish....

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If this was as easy as folding that piece of leather out, surely the owner would've done it before posting, right? Thinking about making a lowball offer and seeing if my cobbler can fix it

The cobbler should be able to improve the appearance, but not "fix" it completely as the fold in the leather continues past the welt and goes under the shoe. I believe they can carefully cut the double row of stitching closest to the toe and then pull the leather forward to minimize the fold. They can then stitch the piece back into place. The stitching, however, will go completely through the shoe and be seen on the inside of the shoe. It will not be covered by the inner leather lining.

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
The cobbler should be able to improve the appearance, but not "fix" it completely as the fold in the leather continues past the welt and goes under the shoe. I believe they can carefully cut the double row of stitching closest to the toe and then pull the leather forward to minimize the fold. They can then stitch the piece back into place. The stitching, however, will go completely through the shoe and be seen on the inside of the shoe. It will not be covered by the inner leather lining.

Neumoks aren't lined, so you can see the stitching regardless.

shades9323

Reaction score
Can someone explain the differences between the v-tap sole and the dainite? Advantage/disadavantages of each? Looking at the First Ave (firsts) with dainite or the First Ave (seconds) with the v-tap. About a $60 difference between the 2.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can someone explain the differences between the v-tap sole and the dainite? Advantage/disadavantages of each? Looking at the First Ave (firsts) with dainite or the First Ave (seconds) with the v-tap. About a $60 difference between the 2.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a pic of my First Ave with v-tread on the left and HM with Dainite on the right

dfwcowboy

Reaction score

A tap sole is applied over (or under I suppose) a leather sole while dainite is a true synthetic sole. The advantage of a tap sole is you get the breathing ability of leather with the grip strength of a rubber sole. The advantage of dainite is it makes for a better wet weather shoe and is reportedly longer lasting.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Read this: post #1, and click the spoilered link Allen Edmonds Sole Offerings (Click to show) to see everything that AE offers (or used to offer).

Edit: Actually mostly everything. There are a couple missing.

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a pic of my First Ave with v-tread on the left and HM with Dainite on the right

I have both and like them equally. I think I'm more comfortable in Dainite in the rain due to the entire sole being rubber, but both work equally well I think. I think the Dainite is a bit more durable, but I also don't notice a difference in traction between the two.

My personal preference is Dainite on more casual shoes (I have the suede Strand, red/white/blue 1776, Higgins Mill, and incoming grain MacNeil), and tap for dressier shoes (mine are the bourbon McAllister and chili Warwick).

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic warning- Sans-shoes Sunday:

For those posting pics in jackets, I just wanted to point out why February in Texas is better:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Neumoks aren't lined, so you can see the stitching regardless.

Thanks for the correction. I never owned a pair.

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. I never owned a pair.

Everyone should own a pair of Neumoks! When I first got mine I wasn't sure I'd like them as they weren't what I was expecting, but after a quick break in I have really come to like them. I also think I get more complements from them than any of my other shoes, some of which I paid over 3 times more.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Varying degrees of opinions here but dainite can also be "less dressy" so to speak as someone else mentioned they tend to leave it for their more casual shoes. I only have 1 pair of dainite (brown grain dundees) and while they might be a little bit stiffer at first I don't see it as impacting my personal comfort level. Functionally dainite is better in weather in which the soles will be exposed to more elements. V-tread is all the perks of a leather sole with some grip. I have a few with this and it feels like a leather sole. I wouldn't pay extra for v-tread vs leather sole because I minor rain isn't destroying your shoes despite some of the phobias out there. If you don't care what the bottom looks like or the side profile, get the pair that is cheaper in this case. Just my 2 cents.

Off topic warning- Sans-shoes Sunday:
For those posting pics in jackets, I just wanted to point out why February in Texas is better:

Sir it would appear you have worn through those sandals. Might I suggest Island slippers? Pretty awesome.

By any chance does anyone have a summit Ave belt? I'd like to see how that one looks IRL.

I haven't noticed it posted here, and I've never seen it as a second. I'm surprised it has lasted, paisley is sorta out of style isn't it? Maybe with exception of a pocket square? Then again the right people to ask would probably be those guys over on WAYWRN threads haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads