• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds #8 Last - Fit?

enginerd917

Reaction score
How do the Allen Edmond's shoe built on the #8 last fit? I've found a pair online but they don't have the size I normally wear, then again I don't own any "dress" shoes. How do they compare to your other shoes? I wear anywhere from 10-11, these are an 11B. Thanks in advance! Ashton - old 8 Benton - 8 Bristol - 8 Clifton - 8 Copley - 8 Delray - 8 Hale - 8 Hampstead - 8 Holbrook - 8 Kendall - 8 Lambert - 8 Mclain - 8 Meridian Mora Niles Ramsey Steen Taunton Thayer Westgate Taken from: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...0&postcount=28

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new 8 (new as of several years ago) fits fairly TTS in the forefoot, but it's VERY wide/roomy in the heel. I tried on about four or five different length/width combos when I was thinking about buying the Westgate, and never did find one that was comfortable in the forefoot but didn't slip on my heel.

Later I found a pair of Westgates secondhand and tried wearing them for a while with a heel pad, but they still were never comfortable. I ended up flipping them.

jmoody15

Reaction score
The 8 last is pretty narrow right around the arch, and a little long. I've ordered online a 10.5D McClain, which is what I normally wear, but I'm about to send them back for a 10E. When I put on the 10.5D, I noticed a decent bulge on the inside of the foot from a relatively narrow last

enginerd917

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I ended up winning the shoes on ebay (brown "Thayer" monk straps) for dirt cheap, I guess I'll see how they fit when they get here lol

If anyone wears an 11D in the #8 last, I'll let them go for what I paid if it doesn't work out. They appeared to be in good shape.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing the Niles in #8 last today. I got them New in Box a few months ago, but they are a discontinued model, so they came with the old school glossy finish on the sole, the AE embroidered oval inside the shoe, and the oak-colored insole instead of the now black insoles.

In my opinion, the toe box on the Niles I'm wearing today is a bit narrower than I'd like, and I'm going to have to get some thinner dress socks to accomodate this fact.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
The new 8 (new as of several years ago) fits fairly TTS in the forefoot, but it's VERY wide/roomy in the heel. I tried on about four or five different length/width combos when I was thinking about buying the Westgate, and never did find one that was comfortable in the forefoot but didn't slip on my heel.

Same here, my heel slipped horribly in both the new #8 last and the #2 last. A-E's infatuation with these lasts pretty much put paid to my buying any more A-Es. This is probably just as well as I now have probably more A-Es than any man of sense needs anyway!

The Transporter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
I'm wearing the Niles in #8 last today. I got them New in Box a few months ago, but they are a discontinued model, so they came with the old school glossy finish on the sole, the AE embroidered oval inside the shoe, and the oak-colored insole instead of the now black insoles.

In my opinion, the toe box on the Niles I'm wearing today is a bit narrower than I'd like, and I'm going to have to get some thinner dress socks to accomodate this fact.

The light insoles fit tighter in the #8 last than the black insoles. I wear a 14D in the light insoles and a 13D in the black ones, proven in store by two pairs of Weybridge. Not sure why they are different and AE corporate states there shouldn't be any difference but that's total BS.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
strangely the new 8 last fits different on all these models. the hampstead (my favorite AE in chili) is a 10.5 for me as the 10D is unbearably tight for some reason. and it wasnt an anomaly. i have tried various hampsteads and they all were like that.

8 in other models like the westgate are true to size for me.

I have the Hampstead in chili as well. But it doesn't seem to fit as tight in the toe box compared to the Niles

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads