• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmond Shoe Advice

Which Shoes Should I Get?

• Sneakers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Double Monks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Zmitchem

Reaction score
I am a 25-year-old university student wanting to up my style game. I am married with 2 little boys and am on track to apply to PA school next year. I recently received a gift card to Allen Edmonds (I currently have 2 pairs, Higgin Mills, and Alumnus) and need help deciding what to get. I mostly wear jeans, polos, button downs, shorts, I do have khaki's/slacks but wear them much less often. My wardrobe is definitely above average for a 25-year-old but not by much. So my question is should I go with these leather sneakers (or maybe some boat shoes/loafers) to have the ability to wear them with shorts and jeans? Or should I up my collection with these double monks? Any help is appreciated! Also here is a picture of my current shoe collection, minus my workout shoes as they don't make it into daily wear.
IMG_0714.JPG
55903_Porter_Derby_tan.jpg
2926StJohnsWalnut2016.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're applying to PA school then consider a pair of shoes for interviews. Although you may not wear them very often, there is sometimes no substitute for a pair of black (or dark brown) captoe oxfords.
Personally not at all a fan of the sneakers. I am not a huge fan of monks (single or double) personally but that's just me.

Zmitchem

Reaction score
If you're applying to PA school then consider a pair of shoes for interviews. Although you may not wear them very often, there is sometimes no substitute for a pair of black (or dark brown) captoe oxfords.
Personally not at all a fan of the sneakers. I am not a huge fan of monks (single or double) personally but that's just me.
Thank you, I didn’t really think about interviews. I have slacks and my Wingtips but I don’t have a well cut suit (used to before I started weightlifting competitively), really I just need to get it tailored, so I may need to look into that and for some shoes to go with it.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zmitchem

Reaction score
So I went an got "sized" at the Allen Edmonds store in SLC. We ended up purchasing me a pair of Strands in Walnut (so beautiful!)... I still have a pair to get from my father-in-law but I am not sure what. I am leaning towards a pair of Corwallis or Fifth Ave in Dark Chili but I am not sure. I want a pair that I can wear with a suit (for Graduate School Interviews), but also more business casual for when I am working as a PA.

Veremund you have a good point with that but I just don't wear black as much anymore. All growing up I literally wore oversized skater clothes that were black, grey or white. Since getting some browns in I LOVE how they look on me and just can't get myself to like having blacks in there as I don't feel they look nearly as good with my complexion. I know that for formal events black is the only acceptable option, but I would rather rent a pair of shoes if need be as I have not been to an event where formal dress was needed for over a decade. Is there a less formal but still acceptable option in brown/burgundy/oxblood ect?
1068_Cornwallis_dk-chili_2017.jpg
5736FifthAveMerlot2016.jpg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went an got "sized" at the Allen Edmonds store in SLC. We ended up purchasing me a pair of Strands in Walnut (so beautiful!)... I still have a pair to get from my father-in-law but I am not sure what. I am leaning towards a pair of Corwallis or Fifth Ave in Dark Chili but I am not sure. I want a pair that I can wear with a suit (for Graduate School Interviews), but also more business casual for when I am working as a PA.

5736FifthAveMerlot2016.jpg

That is a gorgeous shoe and will be extremely useful for you!

Get black when you turn 30. :)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, the 5th Aves are great, especially in dark chili.

For the record #2, never rent shoes. If you really, really needed a pair of right away, then you should spend the money on black AE Park Aves. I know you don’t, which is all good. But when the day comes that you do, and it will come, buy your Park Aves then. They’ll last you the rest of your life.

Oh, and you did buy shoes trees for your new AEs, right??? o_O

Last edited:

Zmitchem

Reaction score
For the record, the 5th Aves are great, especially in dark chili.

For the record #2, never rent shoes. If you really, really needed a pair of right away, then you should spend the money on black AE Park Aves. I know you don’t, which is all good. But when the day comes that you do, and it will come, buy your Park Aves then. They’ll last you the rest of your life.

Oh, and you did buy shoes trees for your new AES, right??? o_O
I will remember that and I do I really like those! Would you purchase the Fifth’s over the Cornwallis?

I did not purchase a set. I have two sets of shoe trees and 4 pairs of leather dress shoes (one is a very casual pair of Timberland Wodehouse derby’s) but I suppose you are going to recommend I have a pair of trees for every pair of shoes?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pick the 5th Aves over the Cornwallis, especially as an interview shoe. The punch captoe is more conservative. It's okay to rotate the shoe trees out after a day or two.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will remember that and I do I really like those! Would you purchase the Fifth’s over the Cornwallis?

I did not purchase a set. I have two sets of shoe trees and 4 pairs of leather dress shoes (one is a very casual pair of Timberland Wodehouse derby’s) but I suppose you are going to recommend I have a pair of trees for every pair of shoes?

Dude, if we’re gonna drop hundreds of dollars on a pair of dress shoes, you betcha backside they’re getting their very own pair of trees. With them, they’ll last for decades. Without them, you’re needlessly shortening their lifespan and appearance. Learn now not to cut corners when it comes to your quality purchases. :teach:

Definitely prefer the 5th Aves over the Cornies. :fonz:

Zmitchem

Reaction score
Dude, if we’re gonna drop hundreds of dollars on a pair of dress shoes, you betcha backside they’re getting their very own pair of trees. With them, they’ll last for decades. Without them, you’re needlessly shortening their lifespan and appearance. Learn now not to cut corners when it comes to your quality purchases. :teach:

Definitely prefer the 5th Aves over the Cornies. :fonz:
Haha I figured well 60 seconds after reading that I order a pair, thank you Amazon and AE for selling on Prime!

And thank you both I will go with the Fifths!

Question I hear that Cordovan seconds are going to be going on sale. Is it worth it to get a pair if they were $270-$360 (not sure if my student discount will apply)? Or are they that much better? I could get Fifth seconds for $187 with my discount so I am not sure if they are worth double the price?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own any shell cordovan shoes but in my mind the way they roll (rather than crease) is better suited to more casual shoes/boots. So shell is great for longwing bluchers, loafers, plaintoe bluchers...but not so much for captoe oxfords.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads