• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alden Original tassel moccassins: Can I stretch 'em?

16A

Reaction score
So I purchased a pair of NIB Brooks Brother's Alden's off of Ebay in an 8.5...only to have them ship and realize that I hadn't asked the seller what width they were. Turns out, they are a B, and I normally wear a D.

I've had tight shoes stretched before in order to fit me, but they were suede and D's in the first place. Would it be worth it to try and have these stretched, or would it be too much. They are beautiful shoes, and I got them at a steal (50% off retail) so I'd like to keep them. But if it can't be done, I'd rather put them up on Ebay or in the B&S forum.

Thoughts?

They are the tan shoes pictured in the header of the brooks bros site:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...Section_Id=524

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Resell. Especially since they're NIB, you'll get the most out of them now. If you start tinkering with them then have to sell them anyway, you'll take a much bigger hit. Sell, take the hit, go buy some that fit.

The seller should have disclosed width in the listing. Then again, you should have asked if he didn't.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
Moving two sizes is a big deal, especially width wise.

x2. This would be tough to pull off.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Resell. Especially since they're NIB, you'll get the most out of them now. If you start tinkering with them then have to sell them anyway, you'll take a much bigger hit. Sell, take the hit, go buy some that fit.

The seller should have disclosed width in the listing. Then again, you should have asked if he didn't.

Re-sell. I've stretched shell cordovan shoes and they are much harder to stretch than calfskin. I will only stretch shoes if they are less than one width size smaller than I need. I doubt it's possible to stretch shoes and gain two width sizes, especially shell cordovan shoes, without doing serious damage.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
All the answers you'll receive on this forum are conjecture - you need to visit the best shoe repair person in your area and have him look at the shoe and your foot.

Moving two sizes is a big deal, especially width wise.

Best of luck.

Perfectly stated.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 93 17.7%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 165 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 86 16.4%