• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Original tassel moccassins: Can I stretch 'em?

16A

Reaction score
So I purchased a pair of NIB Brooks Brother's Alden's off of Ebay in an 8.5...only to have them ship and realize that I hadn't asked the seller what width they were. Turns out, they are a B, and I normally wear a D.

I've had tight shoes stretched before in order to fit me, but they were suede and D's in the first place. Would it be worth it to try and have these stretched, or would it be too much. They are beautiful shoes, and I got them at a steal (50% off retail) so I'd like to keep them. But if it can't be done, I'd rather put them up on Ebay or in the B&S forum.

Thoughts?

They are the tan shoes pictured in the header of the brooks bros site:
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...Section_Id=524

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Resell. Especially since they're NIB, you'll get the most out of them now. If you start tinkering with them then have to sell them anyway, you'll take a much bigger hit. Sell, take the hit, go buy some that fit.

The seller should have disclosed width in the listing. Then again, you should have asked if he didn't.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
Moving two sizes is a big deal, especially width wise.

x2. This would be tough to pull off.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Resell. Especially since they're NIB, you'll get the most out of them now. If you start tinkering with them then have to sell them anyway, you'll take a much bigger hit. Sell, take the hit, go buy some that fit.

The seller should have disclosed width in the listing. Then again, you should have asked if he didn't.

Re-sell. I've stretched shell cordovan shoes and they are much harder to stretch than calfskin. I will only stretch shoes if they are less than one width size smaller than I need. I doubt it's possible to stretch shoes and gain two width sizes, especially shell cordovan shoes, without doing serious damage.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
All the answers you'll receive on this forum are conjecture - you need to visit the best shoe repair person in your area and have him look at the shoe and your foot.

Moving two sizes is a big deal, especially width wise.

Best of luck.

Perfectly stated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads