• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
Interest check: Would anyone be interested in ordering an Earth (or Tobacco) Reverse Chamois boot on the Modified last? I'd prefer a Tanker or Plain toe in Earth, but I'm open to suggestions. To order, we need 6 deposits. 50% deposit and probably around $610 for each boot. (Six deposits to order 12-18 Pair. (50% deposits)). I'd prefer a boot, but would also consider a shoe.

Alden will put a short lug or heavy lug full rubber soles (https://imgur.com/a/nRqX).

Some ideas:

1. https://www.aldenofcarmel.com/brick-mortar_earth-reverse-chamois-wing-tip-boot-commando-sole_648.htm
2. https://www.alden-of-carmel.com/shoes-earth-reverse-chamois-plain-toe-boot-commando-sole-641.htm
3. https://shoplostfound.com/products/alden-reverse-earth-chamois-indy-boot
4. https://www.aldenofcarmel.com/brick-mortar_earth-reverse-chamois-wing-tip-boot-commando-sole_648.htm
5. https://unionmadegoods.com/product/...ront-boot-in-reverse-tobacco-chamoise-40207h/

Thanks!
I am possibly in, plain toe or tanker boot is fine with me, although tobacco would be preferred from my point of view. The reason for the hesitation is that I am currently having a modified last fitted with an orthotic, so I am still fuzzy on size (D or E). Note that Moulded Shoe has no tanker boots with rubber soles (or natural leathers), so if you want to do something unique, it might affect the decision making process.

One other thing is the sole. You will note that there are very few rubber soles available from Moulded Shoe, but one of them is the Goodyear full rubber mini-lug. Its not exactly a long lasting lug. I wore down the tread significantly after about 60 wears. I put in 15K steps a day, so it got a lot more wear than you might think. See attached
IMG_1487.JPG

Sudonihm

Reaction score
I'm in, if I can get EEE width. I'm good with any of these options. My preference would be commando sole (vs the full lug), and Earth plain toe. Which retailer are you working with?

I’ll check with moulded shoe. Unfortunately, I asked about the commando sole and that was a no. One of the lug would be the next best option.

Sudonihm

Reaction score
. . .therefore, when in doubt, vote Vibram. I heard the Goodyear soles were not made in the US, anyway, if that is a consideration.

Which Vibram (not that familiar with Vibram soles) did you have in mind? I have the mini-lug on my chukkas and they've worn a little faster than I'd expect, but I have appreciated the traction in the winter.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
Which Vibram (not that familiar with Vibram soles) did you have in mind? I have the mini-lug on my chukkas and they've worn a little faster than I'd expect, but I have appreciated the traction in the winter.

I could be wrong, but the Vibram soles are the second pair of shoes that you showed. Note the Vibram label on the sole. I believe those are the Kudu Indies, so for deep lugs, Alden will use a Vibram sole. Vibram also makes mini-lugs, but I don't think Alden will use those.

This is just by way of suggestion, since there are advantages to mini-lugs (like they are more pleasant to wear inside, and you don't feel like you have to wear them only in foul weather, and they have the grip advantage without feeling like you schlepping a huge sole around). Those advantages might outweigh the fact they wear faster than you might like.

sansimeon

Reaction score
I'm not much for boots but would be interested in a shoe. Maybe NST?

Used to have tobacco PTBs from Unionmade but sold them because the Barrie was too uncomfortable.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
Shoot! Ok, thanks for checking. I unfortunately can't fit in D or E.

You should note that from Moulded Shoe, the only shoes they sell that are Modified Last + lug sole have a cushion insole in them. With the insert, an E width becomes EEE if you take it out. So if you wear a EEE without insert, or you are an E, and put in an orthotic, these shoes will fit you. See:

https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/shop/d7407

"THIS MODEL COMES WITH A REMOVABLE ALDEN CUSHION INSOLE (WHICH CAN BE REPLACED WITH YOUR OWN PRESCRIPTION ORTHOTIC.) SIZING INCLUDES THE REMOVABLE INSOLE. REMOVING THE INSOLE ADDS 2 WIDTHS TO THE SIZE. THEREFORE: B WIDTH BECOMES D, D BECOMES EE, E BECOMES EEE, AND EEE BECOMES EEEEE."

Sudonihm

Reaction score
You should note that from Moulded Shoe, the only shoes they sell that are Modified Last + lug sole have a cushion insole in them. With the insert, an E width becomes EEE if you take it out. So if you wear a EEE without insert, or you are an E, and put in an orthotic, these shoes will fit you. See:

https://www.mouldedshoeny.com/shop/d7407

"THIS MODEL COMES WITH A REMOVABLE ALDEN CUSHION INSOLE (WHICH CAN BE REPLACED WITH YOUR OWN PRESCRIPTION ORTHOTIC.) SIZING INCLUDES THE REMOVABLE INSOLE. REMOVING THE INSOLE ADDS 2 WIDTHS TO THE SIZE. THEREFORE: B WIDTH BECOMES D, D BECOMES EE, E BECOMES EEE, AND EEE BECOMES EEEEE."

Hmm, if we have enough interest I can verify with Moulded Shoe. Right now, there are 4 people interested in a boot and 1 in a shoe (with 2 interested in a size EEE, which is limited to a shoe, but I'm not sure they want a shoe). I'm happy to organize both and might be willing to order one of each, but a boot would be my first choice. If we can get 2 more for the boot, we can order.

Thanks!

BoydsShoes

Reaction score

Hmm, if we have enough interest I can verify with Moulded Shoe. Right now, there are 4 people interested in a boot and 1 in a shoe (with 2 interested in a size EEE, which is limited to a shoe, but I'm not sure they want a shoe). I'm happy to organize both and might be willing to order one of each, but a boot would be my first choice. If we can get 2 more for the boot, we can order.

Thanks!
I am good with a boot, and I looked at my mini-lug on the modified last, and the wear on it was not as bad as on the Barrie last, so I would be fine with mini-lug. Its more versatile than full sized lugs. Sizing is still an issue. If you go with mini-lug, the previous one from Moulded Shoe has a cushion insole. So this affects sizing for people who use inserts or orthotics. Note that if you have a size E, and design it with cushion insole, it sizes out as a EEE without the cushion.

Sudonihm

Reaction score
I am good with a boot, and I looked at my mini-lug on the modified last, and the wear on it was not as bad as on the Barrie last, so I would be fine with mini-lug. Its more versatile than full sized lugs. Sizing is still an issue. If you go with mini-lug, the previous one from Moulded Shoe has a cushion insole. So this affects sizing for people who use inserts or orthotics. Note that if you have a size E, and design it with cushion insole, it sizes out as a EEE without the cushion.

The insert is a no-go for me. I'd want it without the cushion insole. If we can get a couple more people interested, I'll verify that we can use the mini-lug. I guess I assumed we can, but haven't directly asked.

AlSailor

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I have a pair of Wakouwa for Anatomica Deck Shoes in size US 11 for sale on Ebay right now.

This shoe line was created by Pierre Fournier, the founder of the Anatomica store with locations in Paris, France and Japan. Fournier designed the Wakouwa shoe line to fit similar to Alden Modified Last shoes.

Sudonihm

Reaction score
Moulded Shoe Earth Chamois Boot GMTO Update: It looks like we are very close to being able to order. Please PM me (or respond here) if you are interested. Here's the makeup:

The boots will cost around $610 and we can ship to USA addresses at our expense. A 50% deposit is due up front. Delivery will take 6-12 months (Alden speed!).

STYLE DETAILS:

Last: New Modified (Non-Depth)
Leather: Earth Reverse Chamois
Pattern: Wing Tip Boot Eyelets: 9 Black Eyelets (5 lace and 4 speed hooks)
Welt: Storm Edging: Antique (Light)
Soles: Goodyear/Alden Lug Rubber (mini-lug)
Black Heels: Goodyear/Alden Lug Rubber Black

DrapeauNoir

Reaction score
I'm in for a boot in tobacco-coloured leather. Happy with the hooks, welt and sole (I'd rather have a proper Vibram, that's a shame!).

I'd prefer tanker, but plain toe is acceptable (wingtips are not appropriate for that leather, IMHO).

I'd also much rather have brass or silver eyelets if others are on board.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos