• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air travel and trying to look stylish… Are these mutually compatible?

stimulacra

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Last week I had to fly out of town straight into a formal meeting / dinner setting. I decided to dress for the destination during the flight… 

Between TSA screening, removing my shoes, watch, belts and jacket, trying to keep track of all wallet, iPhone, mirrorless Fujifilm camera and lugging around a leather laptop bag, the whole thing became a bit of a rigamarole. All of the sudden, Rick Steve's travel attire seemed very appealing to me at that moment.

During the cab ride there, I thought there had to be a better way to do this and was curious to know how people on SF tackled the subject.

As an intellectual exercise, I've kind of identified areas for improvement below:

1) Blazer / Sport Coat: Towards the end of the gauntlet my wool blazer was looking a bit disheveled (during the flight it got too warm to wear so I just stowed it under my seat (had a window seat next to a 300+ lb passenger).

Something like below appealed to me but wasn't sure which ones would offer the best balance of comfort, ease and style.

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2014/05/19/travel-jackets-journey/

I saw one guy at the dinner wearing a Victorinox travel sport coat, which would look odd in almost any other context seemed suitable and smart in this one (He had just come from the airport as well).

2) Shoes: If I don't foresee too much walking or sightseeing, I'll wear some AE wingtips for the entire trip. Otherwise I'll wear some Clarks suede desert boots. Now considering a nice rubber soled slip-on option to make TSA checkpoints easier.

3) Belt and watch: Maybe just keep these in my messenger bag until I'm past security? Maybe there's a non-metallic belt option I could wear during the flight?

4) Laptop bag. I carry a 15 inch MacBook Pro Retina with me everywhere I go. Currently I lug it around in an old Clarks leather messenger bag with two zipper front exterior pockets and a couple of interior side pockets. Pretty basic. Was considering something from Saddleback Leather Co to provide more storage that would allow me to store my camera as well.

My goal is to breeze through TSA next time around without having to spend 5 minutes getting dressed on the other side of the checkpoint and to do so with some modicum of style.

Thanks in advance.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mutually incompatible I think. And personal electronics is the one thing to avoid, if you can. Want to stay dignified and stylish, don't travel by air...period.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think TSA pre-check is OK if you're just flying in the US. Flying internationally.....good luck!!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads