• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ahi Tuna

Davidb2580

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Does it annoy you when a restaurant has "Ahi" tuna on the menu and the waiter/waitress thinks that Ahi is the type of tuna? Everytime they list Ahi, I always ask what type of tuna. Half the time, they quickly spout of that it's Yellowfin. The other half, tell me it's ahi and they don't know that ahi just means tuna.
 

Lucky7

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
566
Reaction score
0
It gets under my skin slightly only if the server gives me a sort of attitude for wondering exactly what type of tuna I will be ordering. This goes along with other menu items as well! Good point!
 

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2005
Messages
3,246
Reaction score
5
It's like "shrimp scampi", except that it doesn't even have the connotation of a mode of preparation, so it's even more pointless.
 

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
24,340
Reaction score
10,359
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
It's like "shrimp scampi", except that it doesn't even have the connotation of a mode of preparation, so it's even more pointless.

I suspect that the reason it's done is that marketing experience and/or studies suggest that it's not pointless from a sales perspective.
 

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,769
Reaction score
2
Or Conne & Kwilk's ghey adventures

K
 

CBDB

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
508
Reaction score
0
or Chai tea.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,652
Reaction score
862
I don't know a whole lot about all the varieties of tuna, but I know I love me some super rare tuna steaks!
 

bowlhead99

Active Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Davidb2580
... they don't know that ahi just means tuna.

But ahi does really relate to the kind of tuna, doesn't it? From what I understand, it only ever refers to yellowfin or bigeye tuna, out of about 15 different types - it's not albacore or bluefin or skipjack or whatever.

While the waiter might not be a marine biologist and might just be selling it as Ahi because the guy at the fish market calls it Ahi and it tastes pretty much like all the other Ahi he's ever had, I don't think you can ridicule him for this. I would think 'ahi just means tuna' is your own flawed perception. If the restaurant is selling seared ahi, you are not going to get something the colour or texture of albacore or skipjack which are completely different.

Your post is like saying 'jeez, they don't know that fish just means one of those things that swims in the sea with fins and a tail'. No, at least by saying 'fish' you know its not dolphin or whale. This is not a great analogy as 'fish' covers 20,000 varieties and doesn't narrow down your expectations, whereas 'ahi' means you are probably getting a pretty distinct type of tuna, Thunnus albacares (sp?) or Thunnus obesus which narrows down the expectations considerably

The point was that all ahi is tuna but all tuna isn't ahi.
 

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2004
Messages
3,769
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by bowlhead99
But ahi does really relate to the kind of tuna, doesn't it? From what I understand, it only ever refers to yellowfin or bigeye tuna, out of about 15 different types - it's not albacore or bluefin or skipjack or whatever.

While the waiter might not be a marine biologist and might just be selling it as Ahi because the guy at the fish market calls it Ahi and it tastes pretty much like all the other Ahi he's ever had, I don't think you can ridicule him for this. I would think 'ahi just means tuna' is your own flawed perception. If the restaurant is selling seared ahi, you are not going to get something the colour or texture of albacore or skipjack which are completely different.

Your post is like saying 'jeez, they don't know that fish just means one of those things that swims in the sea with fins and a tail'. No, at least by saying 'fish' you know its not dolphin or whale. This is not a great analogy as 'fish' covers 20,000 varieties and doesn't narrow down your expectations, whereas 'ahi' means you are probably getting a pretty distinct type of tuna, Thunnus albacares (sp?) or Thunnus obesus which narrows down the expectations considerably

The point was that all ahi is tuna but all tuna isn't ahi.


Huh, I dont know that much about tuna. Got any reference for this or guide / reading material?

K
 

bowlhead99

Active Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Albacore is the one that you sometimes see sold in cans as 'white meat' tuna, quite light in colour, in the US there is a brand 'Chicken of the Sea'. Cans of skipjack are more brown.

Here in the UK, Sainsbury supermarkets top Greenpeace's tuna league table, as their cans apparently always tell you the species and how it was caught - bigger brands like John West or Princes often just say 'tuna chunks' without much more detail in the small print, so it might be yellowfin or skipjack or albacore or probably others. I guess if you're just making some tuna pasta bake with tinned fish that's been packed in brine or oil or whatever, you are not all about subtleties of flavour - and for a quick snack I don't really care what I stick in my baked potato.

But if you're in a restaurant eating a steak, you'd hope they know what kind of fish they have just put in the pan; Ahi seems to be more popular where I go, but you may sometimes see seared ahi and seared albacore on the same menu.

These are a few search engine hits if it helps, I'm sure there's better ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ahi.htm

http://www.hawaii-seafood.org/species_tuna.htm#
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
25
Originally Posted by Davidb2580
Does it annoy you when a restaurant has "Ahi" tuna on the menu and the waiter/waitress thinks that Ahi is the type of tuna? Everytime they list Ahi, I always ask what type of tuna. Half the time, they quickly spout of that it's Yellowfin. The other half, tell me it's ahi and they don't know that ahi just means tuna.

i would believe this 'annoyance' is correlated to perhaps any new found interesting knowledge you may have acquired recently and just acting it out in a pretentious way when finding out others who have not caught on yet.

perhaps?
 

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
24,340
Reaction score
10,359
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i would believe this 'annoyance' is correlated to perhaps any new found interesting knowledge you may have acquired recently and just acting it out in a pretentious way when finding out others who have not caught on yet.

perhaps?


Good thing I've studied Augusto's chart and know an "Oh, snap!" situation when I see one.
 

hadamulletonce

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
590
Reaction score
1
If you already know the answer, why ask? I would have considered yellowfin to be fair answer.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 16.9%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 143 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 73 16.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 36 8.2%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 15 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.2%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,519
Messages
9,199,876
Members
193,218
Latest member
marvirange

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top