• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE's New "Rugged" Line. What do you think?

Well?

• Black Hills

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Kiowa

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Big Sur

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Fugly

Votes: 12 54.5%

• Total voters

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by hard wearing you mean durable you don't necessarily need lugs. Lugs are for rough terrain, and it follows that on uneven ground I would want ankle support as well. It's also more balanced from an aesthetic point of view. Just my opinion.

It's perfectly fine to prefer country style boots like Tricker's Stow over country shoes. But commando/danite/lug soles on shoes do serve very good purposes...

So they took a strand and added some work boot soles? At the same time they don't offer a proper formal shoe anymore. Interesting priorities.

Sounds like Alden to me.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So they took a strand and added some work boot soles? At the same time they don't offer a proper formal shoe anymore. Interesting priorities.

They're just following the market. Fewer and fewer guys are wearing formalwear, but there are more and more guys starting to dress well, albeit casually. AE is trying to make stuff to appeal to the guy looking to upgrade from the sneakers he's wearing with jeans.

They're still making the shoes that have been their bread and butter, and still maintaining quality on their stuff. They're just reaching out to the americana/workwear crowd, which, according to all the fashion people, is 'in' this year.

TomAlso

Reaction score
Personally I had been looking for something like this from AE. I like the Kiowa the most :slayer:
These pictures don't tell much though. Is this collection fresh new? I can't seem to be able to find anything else on the internet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads