• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Recrafting

MysticAura

Reaction score
There are 2 tiny pieces of leather that are falling off the toe of one of my AE Park Aves. You can actually rip it off almost with your finger.

1. Should I rip the fleck off?

2. Would AE recrafting be able to help or would they just polish it up to cover it up?

Thanks

coltboy75

Reaction score
^+1. I would also send pictures to AE and see what they say.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had my shoeshine guy fix something like this with a tiny bit of glue. I wouldn't take the leather off then there will be a big gouge in the skin that can't be replaced.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I wouldn't take the leather off then there will be a big gouge in the skin that can't be replaced.

+1.
You can't glue it yourself?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MysticAura
There are 2 tiny pieces of leather that are falling off the toe of one of my AE Park Aves. You can actually rip it off almost with your finger.

1. Should I rip the fleck off?

2. Would AE recrafting be able to help or would they just polish it up to cover it up?

Thanks

One of my cats clawed off a tiny portion of the leather from my AE. I even posted about it here. I just took it to a good cobbler who put a bit of glue on it and advised me to buff like hell.

Seemed to work. A month of shoe polish later, it looks like new.

MysticAura

Reaction score
Thanks guys here's the pictures. Let me know what you think. Also, what type of glue would you use?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rip off and polish, but that's me.

Black is especially forgiving to stuff like this. If you need, you can take a black magic marker to color it in.

On the other hand, if you had already planned to do a recrafting, they might repair it for you without any additional cost.

E.Said

Reaction score
pebblegrain is pretty spot on.

I suppose it depends on your circumstance, if you have plenty of other shoes a bit of shoe polish probably wouldn't hurt too much. If on the other hand that is one of you most frequently used pairs it might be worth seeing what they can do.

At least that is what I would do,
Best of luck

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I would rip off and polish, but that's me.
Removing the flap is not advised.
Originally Posted by MysticAura
Thanks guys here's the pictures. Let me know what you think. Also, what type of glue would you use?
You could use contact cement to easily repair this problem. Hold flap open. With finger rub an ever-so-tiny bit of contact cement on the underside of the flap, and on the 'hole' area. Let dry a few min. Then carefully push flap back over the 'hole'. Once the 2 areas make contact with one another the cement bond will be rather permanent, so work carefully. You can use the back of a spoon to burnish it closed and smooth. Use the spoon to work over the abraised areas to make them smooth again. Let sit for a few hours before polishing. No one will ever notice. Use contact cement in a tube, its easier to work with, just be extremely careful when applying. The tiniest bit goes a long way. Do not 'pour' onto the area. take a tiny drop on your finger and apply to the area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics