• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Lombards at $190

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can get Topy with a tread on them so they're just like having a rubber sole. Most Topy's are flat so make sure you ask for the one with tread when you go to the cobbler. Don't waste a brand new leather sole.

What do you mean? I'm confused...

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you mean? I'm confused...

You can get a flat topy that is just a thin strip of rubber which is still slippery from time to time or you can get a slightly thicker topy with tread, like the tread on a winter boot or the tread on a tire. A topy with tread will give you the better grip on slippery surfaces you desire which maintaining the look of a leather sole.

Last edited:

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can get a flat topy that is just a thin strip of rubber which is still slippery from time to time or you can get a slightly thicker topy with tread, like the tread on a winter boot or the tread on a tire. A topy with tread will give you the better grip on slippery surfaces you desire which maintaining the look of a leather sole.

When I did this with my Strands I got one with tread, Goodyear sole also..

p.s. does leather generally last longer than a rubber sole? also, if you plan on wearing leather sole shoes outside/walking is it better to have a rubber sole?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience leather won't last longer but it is replaceable, but so is a topy for even less money. In terms of inside/outside plenty of people get away with leather walking outside but it will wear and won't be as good as a pure rubber sole but as long as you're not traversing snow covered landscape you'll be fine.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get the "players" shoe from nordstrom. Double leather sole for $199.

just picked up a pair for myself.

NakedTruth

Reaction score
Instead of the Park Ave you could get one of the rubber-soled shoes from AE. Some are on clearance now. I believe they are built on last #2, whereas the Park Ave & Strand are built on last #5.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I already own a pair of Strands and they are so similar. I am looking for something clean. Also, any idea as to how long the Nordstrom sale is going to last?

Instead of the Park Ave you could get one of the rubber-soled shoes from AE. Some are on clearance now. I believe they are built on last #2, whereas the Park Ave & Strand are built on last #5.

What are your thoughts of the Van Ness ? I will be wearing these shoes with a suit so I want a sharper look. I can get rubber soles added to the PA's for about $25-$30. I've had this done before to my Strands.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice buy. I got two pairs during the sale myself. The Players were definitely high on my list but I already have Bel-Airs and another wing tip. The Players in bone coloured suede are great, too.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do y'all think? Nordstroms Anniversary sale ends in 2 days. I wanted to get the Lombards but they didn't have my size. Should I just go with PA's at $199?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads