• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on wedding suit - SuitSupply fits

SensibleKnave

Reaction score
I'm getting married this summer and am looking for the perfect navy suit. My current plan is to order a suit from SuitSupply and take it to a local tailor. However, I am having trouble deciding between the different fits offered by SS (Napoili, Sienna, Lazio, Havanna, Washington). I'm looking for something that will have utility after the wedding for the next few years, which leads me to think more "classic" fits are the ideal choice. My current navy suit is quite cheap (banana republic) so I'm looking for an upgrade that I can wear to work occasionally.

I'm quite thin (6'0, 165lbs, size 38L) so I typically buy the slimmest off-the-rack suits I can find, which typically come with a very "modern" fit and skinny lapels. The latest SS suits seem to have wider lapels, which I welcome.

My primary question is: Does it make sense to buy the suit that would be closest to my body type (slimmer options like Washington, Lazio, or Havana) or is there reason to consider buying regular fits like Napoli over those and letting the tailor do his thing?

Also, how important are the shoulders (natural, lightly padded, padded)? I'm leaning towards more natural shoulders, as I usually think padded looks a little awkward on me, but am worried that might be too informal.

I have trouble distinguishing between the subtleties of the different fits so I welcome your advice on what's most suitable.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think this is something you should try on in person, although that might not be possible. Where are you located?

RJG

Reaction score
Well, hey -congrats on the wedding !

Ordering a suit from SuitSupply will give you the very convenient option of their own in house tailoring.
No need to take it anywhere else, unless you know someone who's a magician tailor and then of course you can take it there.

Their tailor could be busy - so be prepared to get fitted, measured, then they order it ( if it's not in stock )
then you go back a second time for final fitting, they check the cuffs, the sleeve length, jacket length, buttons, etc.
then go back a third time to pick this suit up.

You'll pay for any sort of final alterations, but there are very reasonably priced.
This is * not * included in the original suit price. I would plan on about $ 100.00 on top of the original suit $

For your body type- Washington or Lazio or Havana will look pretty good on you.

Also - they are - in my opinion- a very modern / contemporary suit company.
They have some classic styles, but they are focused on slim fits with minimal shoulder padding.
I don't think there's a stitch of polyester in that place. It's either all 100% wool, or a 100% cotton (linen) suit.

The shoulders are crucial for a suit's fit. Shoulders are the one thing that cant be altered.
Everything else can be altered - within reason - if they have enough extra fabric still there to work with.

The guys and gals there will get you measured - twice- and won't let you leave until it looks fantastic.

I'm in Mountlake Terrace WA, so I went to the Bellevue store, paid for a Lazio blue check suit on Sat. (2/24/18)
Ill go in today (3/1/18) and get the final fitting, then hopefully pick it up on Sunday (3/4/18).

Huzzah!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads