• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on two suits: Brooks Brothers, Versace Collection (pictures, getting married!)

rynowin

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on the two suits below. (And any other advice on my situation.)

Some background on me and my situation:
I'm slim/athletic (5'11", 155lbs), 28 years old, getting married in July 2017, have never bought a legit suit for myself, and want to get a new suit that fits me well that I can wear for my wedding. I don't wear suits a lot (usually a few times a year for weddings, office parties, etc), and am hoping I can buy a suit that can be versatile and that I can wear for years. My budget is ~$500 ($650 absolute maximum including alterations).

(1) Versace Collection, bought for $210 + tax at Saks Off Fifth.
I think it's this one.
I bought it because it was offered at a huge discount and I can return it within 30 days.
I've since done some research to learn something about suits (I knew nothing), and learned that it's not great quality (probably fused, not 100% wool).

My question: Is it a good deal? Should I keep it, because it is (1) a good enough fit (is it?) and (2) really great for the money?

Photos:

(2) Brooks Brothers "Brooksgate", handed down to me from my father. I've been wearing it for a handful of years because I'm cheap, haven't been very picky about style/looks, and it fit "well enough".

It has been recently made clear to me (by my wonderful fianceé) that it really does not fit well. It is not a slim fit, and I probably need one. It hangs somewhat vertical/etc.

My question: Is it worth taking to a tailor to see if they could make it work better for me? (The answers may be no for some combination of (1) a tailor couldn't make it look better enough and/or (2) it isn't a nice enough suit to bother trying to fix.)

Photos:

----
Unrelated/bonus/I know I can probably find this info in other places, but figured I'd include these here in case the extra background made it useful to post some advice / answers specific to this situation):
(3) After doing some research, I'm thinking of going to the local SuitSupply (in San Francisco) and trying to get a slim-fit suit from them. I'm a little worried that I'll have to pay an extra $100-300 compared to their $399 Napoli in order to get a slim-fit that would work well for me. Any suggestions?
(4) I was thinking of getting a medium-to-dark grey suit because it would be formal enough for my wedding, and versatile for many occasions. My wedding won't be very formal, though, and someone suggested a lighter grey suit might work for my wedding and work better for the (not-too-formal) occasions I usually wear a suit to.
(5) I am also thinking of stopping by Nordstroms to see what they have on sale, in case I can get a 100% wool, at least half-canvassed suit that looks good on me for prices competitive to SuitSupply. Any thoughts or suggestions?
(6) How restricted should my arms feel if I roll my shoulders forward and raise my arms? What should happen to the shoulders of my suit if I put my arms out to the side? (See first suit).

lildog

Reaction score
Congrats on getting married!

I would consider going for something else rather than any of these two suits. They both seem a little big around your shoulders/upper back, which to me is the most important part of a jacket. These parts are also expensive to adjust at a tailor, and the results will vary. Synthetic materials and fused linings like in the Versace will also make it harder to move and will not drape very nice.

However, with your budget, I think you could get a quite nice suit in a lot of places. My advise would be to go to a store where they know their stuff, and let them help you with the fit etc, to get a picture what it is you're looking for.

Generally speaking, something that fits well over your shoulders does not stretch or bulk up anywhere, and provides free movement. The seems on top of your shoulders should follow your natural shapes.

Specific details (other than good materials, canvas linings etc.) I would look for personally in a nicer suit is smaller armholes and rolling lapels (google it).

Hope this is of any help and that my english is not very terrible!!

Edit: Also I wouldn't worry about a dark grey suit ever being to formal, although I guess this depends on your life situation. The only color I always would avoid in a suit is black.

Last edited:

EzraPaul

Reaction score
I'd definitely take the Brooks out of the mix. The Versace is better, but from the back looks too big and from the front is hard to tell, but the quarters (front edges of either side of the jacket) shouldn't overlap like that. From the back it seems like the waist and seat aren't loose, which would add to this effect, so I think the jacket is just cut poorly for your build. Versace Collection is no better made than a Jos Bank or Men's Wearhouse suit, so you might see what you can get at another store for the same price.

rynowin

Reaction score
Thanks, both of you!

Just checked the receipt. The "market price" of the Versace Collection suit is $1395. The Saks Off Fifth price was $350. It was an additional 40% to $210. Is the market price just total BS?

I googled "rolling lapels" -> it seems like this is only for hand-made. Is there any brand/store where I could reliably find this in the <$600 price range?

EzraPaul

Reaction score
There's not always a relationship between price and quality. I promise you that Versace Collection is no better than any of the others I mentioned. "Collection" is their lower end line. I'm sure they sell them at full price, but that also has no bearing on the quality.

To properly roll a lapel, it needs to be one piece with the chest canvas and taped on the fold. The lapel will sit flat on any fused jacket. However, even on sale you are unlikely to find a fully canvassed suit for under $1000-1500. If you're on a budget and it's just for an occasion, just find something inexpensive that fits. Fit is the most important feature.

Bower

Reaction score
I would use the Versace.

I been loosing weight lately, and I had to take a sportcoat to the taylor. I am not satisfied with the result, I think it is difficult to alter a suit like that and get a good result.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads