• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

advice on tailoring a suit for a person with a large head

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While the common sense impulse is to use wider lapels, a higher gorge, etc., to complement a large head, I think the proper approach is a lot more complicated than that. You have to consider that your large head is attached to an entire body full of other idiosyncracies. Taken as a whole, wider lapels might actually make your head look bigger. I think the best advice is to seek out the best tailor you can afford and have him perform his voodoo magic. The worst mistake you can make is reduce decades of tailoring expertise to a rote set of features.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
I've just seen this jacket in Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

Forgive my ignorance, but is this considered a wide lapeled jacket? As well as being disgustingly ugly, I also have a large head, and it seems that this style and size would be the most suitable. Any opinions on this?

How would a customer describe this style of lapel to a tailor? Also, is this style of lapel simply a current fashion trend, that'll look dated rather too quickly?

Thanks

Lear

Tke lapels are not particularly wide on this jacket. The buttoning pont seems to be low and the gorge (notch) is high, making the lapel line long.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Tke lapels are not particularly wide on this jacket.
It's hard to tell without the full photo, but they look to be on the narrow side.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
There is a senior member called mafoofan,pm him with your questions,he can help you based on his personal experience.

The foof doesn't have a large head, it was just an outcome of using a point and shoot camera with lousy lens. His head was totally proportionate on his appearance on TV.

Mick Jagger - now that guy has a huge head.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
show your tailor a picture. If your doing a raw try on he/she can alter the width and "draw on with chalk how wide it will be for you to judge before it's set in stone.

Thanks for that info.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
While the common sense impulse is to use wider lapels, a higher gorge, etc., to complement a large head, I think the proper approach is a lot more complicated than that. You have to consider that your large head is attached to an entire body full of other idiosyncracies. Taken as a whole, wider lapels might actually make your head look bigger. I think the best advice is to seek out the best tailor you can afford and have him perform his voodoo magic. The worst mistake you can make is reduce decades of tailoring expertise to a rote set of features.

Yes of course. I have no intention of laying down the rules. I know the fabric (heavy) and colour, that's about it. I wonder how many bespoke suits have been ruined, by the interference of half-informed customers

Originally Posted by alliswell
Tke lapels are not particularly wide on this jacket. The buttoning pont seems to be low and the gorge (notch) is high, making the lapel line long.

Goes to show how little I know.

Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
It's hard to tell without the full photo, but they look to be on the narrow side.

Confirmed! I know little.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
The foof doesn't have a large head, it was just an outcome of using a point and shoot camera with lousy lens. His head was totally proportionate on his appearance on TV.

Mick Jagger - now that guy has a huge head.

I don't know about all that

Originally Posted by dropbeats
heres the eyeglasses i cant tell who makes them even with high zoom

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads