• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Styling a Vintage Green Suit

Truism

Reaction score
Hi all. I bought this no-label green suit at a thrift store and on a lark and I'm not super sure what to do with it. Not just because it's green but also that it has a faint blue stripe, and I'm not much experienced in striped suits. I realize it's a casual suit and its weave is doing a lot of textural work already, but I was wondering what some ways to dress it up would be. I have a darker blue shirt that looks kinda nice with it, keeping it somewhat harmonious as far as coarseness goes, but as for ties and pocket squares I'm all ears.

I've included some photos of a few impulses I had, mostly sticking with wool, cotton, and coarse silk, but based on what you see what do you think would work best with this oddball suit? Granted, a regular light blue shirt, a navy tie, and a white pocket square would probably work fine, but I'm hoping to be a little more creative. With help, of course. Thanks!

IMG_8682.jpg IMG_8683.jpg IMG_8684.jpg IMG_8685.jpg IMG_8686.jpg IMG_8687.jpg IMG_8688.jpg IMG_8689.jpg

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Why do you want to dress it up? Serious question, as it seems like a very casual suit and it might be better worn as a casual outfit rather than trying to make it seem more formal.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^
+1

Truism

Reaction score
Why do you want to dress it up? Serious question, as it seems like a very casual suit and it might be better worn as a casual outfit rather than trying to make it seem more formal.

I'm generally asking to see if there's a way that I can without it looking unharmonious. Maybe there isn't, but even if it's on the side of funky I'd still be curious to experiment.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I'm generally asking to see if there's a way that I can without it looking unharmonious. Maybe there isn't, but even if it's on the side of funky I'd still be curious to experiment.
Maybe posting a picture of you wearing it would be helpful. The stuff you posted seems OK and probably at the limit of how much you can 'dress up' this suit.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell from these closeup photos—and we haven’t seen the trousers. (Are they slim, wide, high waist, pleated, cuffed?) We can’t see the jacket pockets (flap or patch?) or the sleeve heads or the cuffs (how many buttons?) But the skinny lapels and reverse gorge (sometimes seen on Mandarin-style jackets) suggest very casual and “fashion-forward.”

I would not wear this suit to an office, and I would not wear it with a tie. But the color and texture of the fabric is quite nice. To me it’s a weekend suit for a night out. Wear it with a denim or chambray shirt, brown Oxfords or boots (maybe even traditional canvas sneakers if that’s your thing—see Akamine Yukio’s IG page). Any type of pocket square is fine. Good luck!

Alexsandra

Reaction score
They were usually made from wool, worsted wool or tweed, but during the war, synthetic rayon blended with wool was usually used instead. The thickness of suit fabrics was much heavier than today’s suits. promocodeshub

Jomjom

Reaction score
Congratulations on finding that suit at a bargain!

In addition to what the others said here: You could browse lookastic.com (search e.g. for green suit) and then see what kind of combinations are out there.

Also maybe check the suitsupply website for inspiration. They also should have casual green suits right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads