• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice Needed RE: Future Job Opportunities after being rejected

MHH89

Reaction score
All:

I recently interviewed for a job and really hit it off with both of the hiring managers. The only obstacle to the job was a final interview with the head boss which did not go to well.

I ended up hearing back from the hiring managers and they advised that I had not been selected for the role. They both advised that they would keep me in mind for future roles and that I should keep in touch.

My question is do you think they were just being nice and I am done or should I continue to keep in touch with the hope of securing a future role?

Thanks.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
If the hiring managers are going to push for you, I don't see why it would be bad to keep your options open.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
All: I recently interviewed for a job and really hit it off with both of the hiring managers. The only obstacle to the job was a final interview with the head boss which did not go to well. I ended up hearing back from the hiring managers and they advised that I had not been selected for the role. They both advised that they would keep me in mind for future roles and that I should keep in touch. My question is do you think they were just being nice and I am done or should I continue to keep in touch with the hope of securing a future role? Thanks.
It's unlikely you'll hear back from the company, but you never know. Doesn't hurt to keep in touch with the folks who liked you. Generally speaking, if you made it to the final round and then didn't quite make it over the finish line, you're not dead to the company. Certainly not as dead as someone who didn't even make it past the first round or resume screen would be. The company very well might keep you in mind if something else pops up for which they think you're a better fit. Case in point: one of my best friends at business school interviewed for a corp dev job at a well known and hot tech company. He made it to the last round, but he wasn't a former consultant or banker, so someone with the ultimate decisionmaking power nixed him. But the folks he met really liked him. A month later, he got a call from a different group in the same firm, who'd been passed his resume by the corp dev folks. It wasn't the exact group or role he'd initially interviewed for, but it was very similar, and again, he made it all the way to the dance, but wasn't chosen in the end. He wrote off the company at that point and kept recruiting. Two months later, a different strategy group within the same company contacted him. Again, he'd been referred by some folks who liked him. This time he made it and got the job. The lesson is, you never really know why you don't make the final cut sometimes. Sometimes it really does just come down to the fact that they like you, but they like someone else a fraction of a bit better. Don't take every single rejection as a dead-in-the-water, wholesale, final rejection of you as a person. If a firm really loves you, they'll keep trying to make it work until it either does or you somehow **** up completely.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think sometimes HR departments say they'll hold onto your resume simply because there's less potential legal blowback in saying that versus saying you've been rejected outright, but I could be wrong. If an individual says they'll keep your resume around, they well may.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Agreed. I wouldn't count on an HR rep remembering you, but if there is an individual at the company you made a connection with it would probably be worth following up with them from time to time.

MasterOfReality

Reaction score
I have been in this position before, and in my experience its the line they feed you when they don't want to let you down too badly. Most of the time its nothing more than lip service.

In all honesty, I would forget about it and move along.

If they call you later and you are still looking for a job then good, if you score another job then its their loss.

MHH89

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I ended up connecting with a few individuals at the company and not someone in HR.
I'm planning on emailing them in a month just to reconnect and to let them know I am still interested in any roles.

Initially, I was thought that they were just giving me lip service when they said to keep in touch. I think after I email them I will have a better grasp on where I stand.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MHH89
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

I ended up connecting with a few individuals at the company and not someone in HR.
I'm planning on emailing them in a month just to reconnect and to let them know I am still interested in any roles.

Initially, I was thought that they were just giving me lip service when they said to keep in touch. I think after I email them I will have a better grasp on where I stand.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Sounds to me like a good plan. Good luck!

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my current position after being fed this line. Eventually, they asked me back for an interview, and then hired me. I ended up getting more hours than the person they hired originally.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My office still shops around some of the resumes of rejected interviewees from a position that was filled a month ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads