• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice For The Groom

raman

Reaction score
Hello!
I am getting married in a couple of weeks and I want to wear the right bow tie. I already bought a black shawl tuxedo from Pierre Balmain Balmain Cinzato Wool Cloth Stretch Tuxedo Suit - Stylebox.
http://www.stylebox.com/balmain/p/pierre-balmain-cinzato-wool-cloth-stretch-tuxedo-suit
I am 23 years old and it's a black tie event at around 9pm. The wedding will be held indoors in Panam City I don't know if it's important.
Should I wear a cummerbund and/or suspenders?
I liked this bow tie but I am not sure about it so I was looking for advice from a more experienced person.
Marwood*Mesh Lace Noir Silk Bow Tie*|*MR PORTER
http://www.mrporter.com/product/316109
Or maybe I should go with something more typical? Any advise or recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should absolutely not wear that bowtie. A black bowtie is the only correct answer here. The texture should match the lapel facing, so smooth texture lapels get a smooth texture bowtie.

I can't really tell from the link, but is the tuxedo all wool? It looks plasticy. The rise of the pants looks way too low (unless the model is just wearing them that way). It is also very expensive. Can you return it?

Otherwise, a cummerbund does pair nicely with a shawl collar. You should wear suspenders, because the pants should not have belt loops. They should have buttons sewn inside the waistband to accomodate the loops on the suspenders (do not wear clip-ons). Ideally your suspenders won't be seen by anyone.

raman

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answer.

The Tuxedo is pure wool but it seems a little bit metallic or shiny. The rise of the pants look low because the model is trying to wear it in a "cool" way although the tuxedo does has a slim fit which is great for me being very skinny.

I can return it but I really liked it so I really don't want to.

Thanks again and any other comments will be highly appreciated as well.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your answer.

The Tuxedo is pure wool but it seems a little bit metallic or shiny. The rise of the pants look low because the model is trying to wear it in a "cool" way although the tuxedo does has a slim fit which is great for me being very skinny.

I can return it but I really liked it so I really don't want to.

Thanks again and any other comments will be highly appreciated as well.
I was suggesting returning it only because I thought it might be spandex/polyester. If you can actually pull the pants up to a normal height, then it should be fine.

I assume the lapel facing is smooth silk/satin as opposed to ribbed, correct? You should be looking for a black silk/satin cummerbund and and black silk/satin bowtie that you have to tie yourself. Do the pants have side-tab adjusters that keep them up? If so, you don't need suspenders. If your pants have belt loops, you should find a tailor who can remove them and put in suspender buttons.

What do you have in mind for footwear and a shirt?

Last edited:

southbound35

Reaction score

You should absolutely not wear that bowtie. A black bowtie is the only correct answer here. The texture should match the lapel facing, so smooth texture lapels get a smooth texture bowtie.

Agreed on the black tie only option.

I can't imagine an occasion when I might wear that tie you linked other than a theme party with "lace" somewhere in the name (which is a pretty narrow window).

Last edited:

Roger Everett

Reaction score

Hell
I am 23 years old and it's a black tie event at around 9pm. The wedding will be held indoors in Panam City I don't know if it's important. 
Should I wear a cummerbund and/or suspenders?
I liked this bow tie but I am not sure about it so I was looking for advice from a more experienced person. 
Marwood*Mesh Lace Noir Silk Bow Tie*
Or maybe I should go with something more typical? Any advise or recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

No not that bow tie. Although black is the norm, there are other options, colors , but the cumcummerbund and tie should deffinitely match. For my wedding last year, the wedding colors were blue and ivory, and my to be, had gotten an ivory wedding dress. So I considered a dk. blue cummerbund and tie. We went out one day and I found a matching cummerbund and tie in 3 shades of dk. blue and black , in a wispy streaks pattern. Just want to carefull and not to look like your going to a 60's prom.
As far as suspenders go. Generally speaking,some get the pant with a snug fit about the waist and wear without suspenders, which I did for a long time, then when I had them let out a bit, I opted for tux suspenders -- love-em, only way to go. But do get tux suspenders, they come in either black or white and have nylon ends with button loops, not the leather ends, so as not to have buldges under cummberbund.

raman

Reaction score
I was suggesting returning it only because I thought it might be spandex/polyester. If you can actually pull the pants up to a normal height, then it should be fine.

I assume the lapel facing is smooth silk/satin as opposed to ribbed, correct? You should be looking for a black silk/satin cummerbund and and black silk/satin bowtie that you have to tie yourself. Do the pants have side-tab adjusters that keep them up? If so, you don't need suspenders. If your pants have belt loops, you should find a tailor who can remove them and put in suspender buttons.

What do you have in mind for footwear and a shirt?
Thanks again for the answer.

I already bought this shirt : http://blog.arigreenberg.com/post/234019943/thomas-pink-rockefeller-center-tuxedo

A cummerbund like this one although I payed less : http://www.ebay.com/itm/330822018980?hlp=false

shoes similar to this one: http://www.tods.com/en/man/shoesa13/formala13/lace-up-leather-shoes

I am having such a hard time finding the right bow tie. I am looking in all websites like www.mrporter.com, www.luisaviaroma.com and all department stores like Neiman Marcus, Macys, Saks, etc and I am still not sure what to buy. Could you send me a couple options that you would buy?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. You're wearing a tuxedo for a big occasion. Play it safe, and the photos will look great for decades.

Or this, The Cordial Churchman specializes in bowties and offers a few more options. If you're a slim guy, you could get the narrower version, or something else. If you contact them, I think they'll even make a sized one for you, though I might not recommend that if you haven't worn a bowtie before, since it's best to be sure of your size.

Get the self tie, and learn to tie it at least a week beforehand, and practice again the night before. It's really not that hard, and it really is obvious if you're wearing a pretied one. You wouldn't wear a clip on for this, would you? Same deal. Learn, and wear, the real thing. Bowties are cool.

Last edited:

raman

Reaction score
This. You're wearing a tuxedo for a big occasion. Play it safe, and the photos will look great for decades.
Or this, The Cordial Churchman specializes in bowties and offers a few more options. If you're a slim guy, you could get the narrower version, or something else. If you contact them, I think they'll even make a sized one for you, though I might not recommend that if you haven't worn a bowtie before, since it's best to be sure of your size.
Get the self tie, and learn to tie it at least a week beforehand, and practice again the night before. It's really not that hard, and it really is obvious if you're wearing a pretied one. You wouldn't wear a clip on for this, would you? Same deal. Learn, and wear, the real thing. Bowties are cool.
Thanks for the bow tie options, they look exactly the same to me how can I choose?

What about a pocket square?

Regards

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the Cordial churchman and get it in the shape you prefer. For this occasion, I would recommend the classic, straight, or slim butterfly if you're a smaller guy, classic, diamond point, or fat butterfly if you're a larger guy. Essentially, you're looking for a plain black silk satin bowtie, with no other acceptable options.

And yes to the pocket square. White linen, cream silk, or something similarly formal. Something like a bottle green or burgundy usually works with a tuxedo, but I'm not sure I would go there if it was my wedding. If you're comfortable with going that route, you could also try something like a black silk with white dots, or a dark madder paisley.

raman

Reaction score
Go with the Cordial churchman and get it in the shape you prefer. For this occasion, I would recommend the classic, straight, or slim butterfly if you're a smaller guy, classic, diamond point, or fat butterfly if you're a larger guy. Essentially, you're looking for a plain black silk satin bowtie, with no other acceptable options.
And yes to the pocket square. White linen, cream silk, or something similarly formal. Something like a bottle green or burgundy usually works with a tuxedo, but I'm not sure I would go there if it was my wedding. If you're comfortable with going that route, you could also try something like a black silk with white dots, or a dark madder paisley.
The cordial seems to be very nice and at a good price as well. I really appreciate your comments and your help guiding me in the right direction.
So the one I should buy it's the Black Satin Narrow Butterfly if I am slim?

Can you please take a look at this 3 websites real quick, there are only a couple of Black Satin Bow Tie options to see if Cordial Churchman will be the final decision?

http://www.mrporter.com/Shop/Search?keywords=bow+tie&x=0&y=0
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/search.jsp?N=0&Ntt=bow+tie&_requestid=68900
http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr?keywor...bow or bowtie) andnot stylename:pocket-square

Thanks again for your help!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything black satin, silk, and self tie should be fine. Pick one in a shape you like and go with it.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent Wang also has a nice white linen pocket square (the default formal option when you aren't sure what else to go with): http://www.kentwang.com/white.html
As cptjeff said, any black silk bowtie is fine. If you are slender/skinny you may want to consider a slimmer version, but you can't go wrong with the Kent Wang that he linked to. As for learning to tie the bow tie, I recommend getting a cheap $10 bow tie at Marshalls or TJ Maxx or whatever to practice with. Silk is somewhat delicate, so it makes sense to practice on something you don't mind damaging before you try on the one you actually want to wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads