• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for new SLIM suit

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitseleh12
ok, i just measured myself: im actually 5'11" and 161 pounds. the salesman said i fit properly into a 40R jacket, and i determined the 33 waist pants were too tight bc they hurt my stomach. ive got a belly
frown.gif

facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
plain.gif
plain.gif

a salesperson telling you that you are a perfect 40R is like a whore telling you that you are the biggest she (or he) has seen.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jessbaumung
I would like to think that the H&M suit that I have hanging in my closet is in fact a suit I purchased from H&M. Its not like I am just making this up here.

Or the one I'm wearing. They only sell them in about 20 stores in the US, and four or so in Canada.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitseleh12
ok, i just measured myself: im actually 5'11" and 161 pounds. the salesman said i fit properly into a 40R jacket, and i determined the 33 waist pants were too tight bc they hurt my stomach. ive got a belly
frown.gif

As previously stated, don't listen to the salesmen. Not all 40's fit alike and not all 33 waists fit alike. There is a lot of vanity sizing going on in fashion.

I'm 6'4" and 185 and wear a 40 with a 34" pant....I don't think you are.

Google how to take self measurements and you'll find step by steps, including pictures.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend going MTM for your suit. Wait until you've bought a few and had them tailored so you know what to look for. Besides, Thick as Thieves is a very particular fit that doesn't work for some people. The owner is great and the construction is quite good too (from what I hear, I don't own one), but hold off on that.

pitseleh12

Reaction score
i checked out thickasthieves, but im concerned about giving home-made measurements, looking at fabric online, and placing an order that way... ill check out the H&M suits next week, so thanks for the reco's.

im not sure i understand what vanity sizing means, and why they would want me to buy a 40R, but the Jack Victor Douglas CT suit did seem to fit nicely, albeit a bit tight, which is what i was looking for. ive attached pictures of the suit, so if anyone can send me a link to at least a similar slim suit, with the nice double vented back, and with that kind of fabric, id really appreciate it. it might be hard to tell from the pictures, but the fabric is not smooth. its kind of like how a merino wool sweater feels but a little rougher...

IMGA0595.jpg

IMGA0604.jpg

IMGA0599.jpg

pitseleh12

Reaction score
could someone at least please look at these pictures and tell me what kind of material it looks like, because im going to have a hard time describing it to salesmen otherwise. thanks!

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Never believe a salesman. Get a tape-measure and measure the circumference of your chest in inches, and that is the size you should be wearing.

The actual size of your chest means next to nothing. Different brands will vary quite a bit within the same chest size.

The number size, like the waist size of pants does not necessarily correspond to the actual measurement of the jacket

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
The actual size of your chest means next to nothing. Different brands will vary quite a bit within the same chest size.

The number size, like the waist size of pants does not necessarily correspond to the actual measurement of the jacket

Different cuts and brands will have a different amount of ease, so will fit slimmer or looser, but they will all generally be intented to be worn by someone with roughly that chest size.

hobbesl39

Reaction score
J Crew has some nice slim suits, though they are pricey when not on sale. They do have a wool flannel suit currently on sale which is quite nice, though the fabric is slightly informal...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
A different amount of ease will drastically change the way a suit fits.

Obviously. A sack suit in size 38 from someone like Brooks Brothers will probably have more ease and fit looser than a fashion-forward slim-fitting suit in the same size from someone like Dior, but they're still both intended to be worn by someone with a ~38 inch chest and the difference in fit is an aesthetic choice.

pitseleh12

Reaction score
ok. just checked out the H&M suits. thanks for the reco. they fit almost too snugly. not great quality, and i didnt like the currently available styles, but i will definitely check back later.

but, until then, can someone please take a look at the pics i posted above and suggest where i can find something like that or at least tell me what i should be asking for? thanks!

DeanCorso

Reaction score
I'm the wrong person to identify the fabric. But, assuming you're looking for a first suit, and need it to be versatile, I would suggest you stay away from Peak Lapels (like the ones found on the suit you posted). It's a stronger statement than you will want to make most of the time.

I would also say, that, when it comes to buying a [first] suit, it's often worth it to squeeze a little more into the budget. It might feel a little painful thinking about investing $500 instead of $300, especially if you don't expect to wear a suit very often, but the extra could well mean that you feel twice as confident every time you put it on, and that it lasts you twice as long.

Having never bought a suit from H&M, I don't know how they wear, but I have had some other casual clothes from them that didn't all hold up very well. I'll yield to the experience of those who own one, but I wanted to mention my impression in order to elicit their input.

But, if you decide to stick in that price range, and are convinced that level of quality will work for you, Zara also has some slim styled suits like H&Ms, with probably similar construction. Maybe you'll find something there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads