• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for new SLIM suit

pitseleh12

Reaction score
thanks for the zara reco. ill definitely check them out. this wouldnt be my first suit. i wear one every day to work, and have about 5 in my closet i rotate through daily. its just those are the classic fitting suits, with pleats, etc... i wanted to add a little more style in my next suit. i am confused about ur lapel comment. whats the difference?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, call the main Ralph Lauren store closest to you and see if they have any sale Black Label suits left in your size. They are very slim (only suit pants I've ever let out instead of taking them in) and the sale ones were right in your price range.

pitseleh12

Reaction score
thanks for the tips on the lapels. never realized. i also checked out ralph lauren. $1,695.00 light grey black label suit. too expensive and nothing on sale
frown.gif
but thanks for the reco. do u recognize the kind of material in the picture? impossible to contact jack victor for some reason and ive still found absolutely no info on the internet about "douglas CT"

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So as someone who is 5'11" and 150lbs I think you're on the right track if you are 160lbs.

You're better off going to an actual store and checking out some of the seasonal suits, for instance Polo is clearing out all of their seasonal worsted pinstripes, which IMO is at least 3-season weight, maybe all but the hottest days of summer.

Its a $1400 suit and on sale now for about $300

That jack victor probably isnt that slim, and you probably dont want something too slim from the sound of it.

pitseleh12

Reaction score
thats a very good point. maybe its not necessarily slim at all and its just too small on me. so, ive uploaded pictures of me in it, and i would really appreciate criticism. now im starting to notice it bunching up on the top in the back. what do u think?
suit.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That doesnt look very good, it looks tight on the top of the back, but really loose under the arm pits on the back.

The vents are flaring badly and yet the front of the jacket has very closed quarters.

The peak lapels are too trendy.

Try some different cuts, try a Ralph Lauren store (not a polo outlet) and also a mainline brooks brothers store.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
No there are very specific reasons for which this is not a good suit. Look at your arms, even as they lie straight down there are many folds; this is a sign of a bad suit. A good suit should fall very well and look effortless on its own. Look at your back, there are ripples all the way down and especially at the top; a good suit, once again, won't do this. A good suit is supposed to fall flat on your back. I'll bet when your sit down or move your arms the collar of the jacket itself goes upward. The sleeves are too long, so if you do go with it, remember to have it shortened.

Also look at the back of the suit where the arms meet the body; it looks a bit poofy, which means that the wool is not taut, not well sewn. The whole joint between the body of the arm is full of small ripples and flaws.

I would not get this suit.

Its very far from sharp. Keep in mind a good suit is supposed to fall well. If you hang it up and walk across a room you shouldnt be able to see a single ripple or fold. If you can see ripples like that when its hanging up, it'll look 10x worse from across the room on YOUR body. I can photograph a few good suits or lift some photos off the internet if you'd like help.

Come on, you can do better.

uzairh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pitseleh12
thats a very good point. maybe its not necessarily slim at all and its just too small on me. so, ive uploaded pictures of me in it, and i would really appreciate criticism. now im starting to notice it bunching up on the top in the back. what do u think?

The sleeves are too wide also.

Raleighdesign

Reaction score
under the armpits, a little higher than your nipples (1 inch or so, basically the largest circumference you can measure around the chest area).

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
No this is by no means a slim suit. Its a pretty typically boxy suit. If youre not concerned with the quality of a suit's tailoring and cut then the best thing to do is go to a place like Banana Republic or H&M. Even J Crew. They have inexpensive, decent-looking suits that are not displays of good tailoring. Basically, to a standard american you will look decent. This is not a suit to get at all.

pitseleh12

Reaction score
i really really appreciate these comments. i am definitely returning the suit. looking at the pics, i really do see all the flaws u mention, and will look for something that fits better and is actually a slim suit. thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads