• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accessory Question - Pens

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Omas uses a fairly flexible nib & there's a rumor circulating that you can special order a very flexible nib from them. Their designs also out-class Montblanc, etc. IMO (expect for some of the very gaudy limited editions). As much as I love Omas pens (I have 8 that I rotate through), they have a number of persistent design flaws that make me hesitate to recommend them without some caveat. Most pertinent to this discussion, the ink channels in the feed (the plastic piece under the nib that delivers the ink from the chamber to the nib) are sometimes cut poorly, resulting in an inconsistent ink-flow & requiring adjustment and/or repair. They are, though, absolutely gorgeous, particularly their celluloid pens.

Dormouse

Reaction score
I like Namiki pens from an aesthetic standpoint. The bemoaned Meisterstuck's also very nice.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Fisher Space Pen. It's an American classic.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
Yes, Omas uses a fairly flexible nib & there's a rumor circulating that you can special order a very flexible nib from them. Their designs also out-class Montblanc, etc. IMO (expect for some of the very gaudy limited editions). As much as I love Omas pens (I have 8 that I rotate through), they have a number of persistent design flaws that make me hesitate to recommend them without some caveat. Most pertinent to this discussion, the ink channels in the feed (the plastic piece under the nib that delivers the ink from the chamber to the nib) are sometimes cut poorly, resulting in an inconsistent ink-flow & requiring adjustment and/or repair. They are, though, absolutely gorgeous, particularly their celluloid pens.
I had an OMAS 360 and it would always leak. This is the problem with some high-end Italian products, somewhat shoddy quality control with high quality goods.

Alan B.

Reaction score
I ran across an excellent resource for pens: the Fountain Pen Network. Good people with interesting posts.

The other day I purchased an Omas Ogiva ballpoint on eBay and can't wait to get it. I've been relying on a Waterman Carene for the past several years which is a wonderfully balanced pen. Time to move beyond one pen. As a lefty, I'm not comfortable with fountain pens or rollerballs.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209

The special order Omas is more soft than flexible, I had one in a Lucens but sold it. I love vintage Omas (I have half a dozen or so), but avoid modern Omas pens due to my 100% bad luck with two 360s, one leaked and one skipped no matter what you did to the feed. Omas wanted something like 100usd to fix the leak, instead I let a semi-pro pen hobbyist have a go and he fixed it for free
smile.gif

The parker 51 is a good every day pen, though I do like my 'flex'. The vintage waterman filigrees are very nice writing, simple and reliable pens for less than the price of many modern pens. I tend to stick to vintage, one because of 'flex' and two, the resale value is higher so you tend not to lose money if you decide the pen isn't to your tastes. I used to be a big fountain pen fan
smile.gif

JayGatsby

Reaction score
I really don't care about a specific name brand, I like pens that are made of almost, if not entirely, of sterling silver or gold.

If I don't have a jacket on then one of my pant's front pockets, would be just a fine place to store it.

Jay Gatsby

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Now that I am buying nicer shirts, many of them do not have breast pockets. What do you do with your pen if you don't have a pocket?

I don't wear a jacket to work. ....

I prefer the minimal aethetic of Lamy - but undertand that this is not for everyone.

On you second question: You should consider starting to wear a jacket. You are wearing a formal shirt and carrying a formal pen - so I would say its time to start wearing the jacket to balance the rest of your presentation.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
On you second question: You should consider starting to wear a jacket. You are wearing a formal shirt and carrying a formal pen - so I would say its time to start wearing the jacket to balance the rest of your presentation.

I'd love to.....but there are boudaries I can't overstep. It's okay that my clothes are more expensive than my clients', but jacket/tie is a status symbol where I work and none of my direct clients are jacket/tie level so if I were to wear them, I would look like I was trying to be above them.

painfree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck rollerball. I don't buy dress shirts with breast pockets. If it doesn't go in the front pocket of my white coat it goes in my left trouser pocket.
your short white coat? since this post is 2 years old, maybe you have graduated by now. If so congrats...those short coats are so demoralizing..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interestingly, my fountain pens stored inside of my carry-on luggage prompted a search of my bag as I was going through airport security today. The three pens appeared to be "bullets" to the TSA person who was viewing the monitor. I've never had that happen before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads