• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Acceptable shoe gaping?

Willin

Reaction score
On the topic of shoe gaping - what is acceptable?

I have a pair of Allen Edmond Strands which have a spread at the throat a bit more than what is pictured below:

Being that these are balmorals then the leather should technically be touching, correct? Bluchers on the other hand can have a bit of spread?

I am conflicted because my feet are quite wide but I like a tight fit. I have a second pair of unworn Bourban Calf Strand's which I am thinking about selling since they spread at the throat of the shoe and I don't want to be mocked on StyleForum for wearing them.

If I get a shoe where the throat doesn't spread I think the footbed is going to feel boxy like a clownshoe. I've seen a bit of spread of some prominent members balmorals. Is it acceptable or should they be castigated mercilessly?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are those? In my experience with the 5 last, I sized down but increased in width - i.e. 9.5D on most other lasts is a 9E on the 5 last.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Is this how they always look? How do they feel?

As my foot expands and contracts through the day, depending on when I tie my shoes, comfort results from different amounts of gap. Now, if I jump right out of the shower, all warm, I've found that my Strand lace pretty similarly, but if I let myself settle, I can pretty much seal them up, with almost no separation.

So, it's tough to say whether this is normal or not, but I wouldn't consider it catastrophic as it stands now.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Willin, you are worrying yourself over nothing. Try Bar Lacing for your Strands or any other balmorals. The leather flaps on balmorals need not touch one another. Enjoy your shoes. Example of Bar Lacing:

Last edited:

glenjay

Reaction score

Willin, you are worrying yourself over nothing. Try Bar Lacing for your Strands or any other balmorals. The leather flaps on balmorals need not touch one another. Enjoy your shoes. Example of Bar Lacing:

Actually that image is an example of European Straight Lacing. Bar Lacing does not have the underlying crossing string. Minor point however, either will work fine.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are ofcourse, correct Glenjay but the bar lacing (proper) is too complicated for some gents. This was my reasoning for a small cheat with the Euro-Straight. Well spotted.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PhiPsi thank you ! What an improvement on Ians site. This is great.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you MoL for being there when people need help. I'm just glad I could provide some support.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you MoL for being there when people need help.  I'm just glad I could provide some support.

Most kind, but there are plenty of good qualified souls on here with skills far exceeding my own. I do however thank you for the encouragement and your own good input. :)

Last edited:

Willin

Reaction score

That is neat.

Thanks for sharing.

Neat website but that lacing method looks sloppy though probably effective. I wouldn't want to do that on a sleek looking shoe.

Anyhow - those are not my feet/shoes in the original post. I was just using it as an illustration. I will post a picture later tonight of my new Strands and get your opinions on whether they are wearable. I got E's but I am afraid the throat spread is still too wide, unfortunately. I'll come back for advice later!

steezy

Reaction score

Neat website but that lacing method looks sloppy though probably effective. I wouldn't want to do that on a sleek looking shoe.

Anyhow - those are not my feet/shoes in the original post. I was just using it as an illustration. I will post a picture later tonight of my new Strands and get your opinions on whether they are wearable. I got E's but I am afraid the throat spread is still too wide, unfortunately. I'll come back for advice later!

The lacing method is sloppy underneath, and clean on the top. You will not see the diagonal criss cross underneath if there is no gap.

Anyways, the new animated steps on Ian's website are a great addition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads