• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Academic Job Talk -- What to Wear?

Cornellian

Reaction score
I would say sport coat. A suit is too formal unless it's a more professional oriented department (b-school, law).

I work with people who wear sandals to work (what happen to the puke icon?).

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In B-schools, a suit. In economics and poli sci, a suit. In sociology, a sports coat and tie. Psych professors are mostly crazy, so its impossible to say.

Quebec1977

Reaction score
I'm political scientist and assistant professor in a Communication Dept in Canada. Without any doubt, wear a suit and tie. Most conservative colour and pattern are not mandatory, but don't flash.

And don't forget to shine your shoes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you are brilliant, wear anything that you like...in fact, the weirder, the better.

If you are not, dress a little better than your audience, but not much better.

- B

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
In the 30+ years I have worked in academia, I have never heard "appearance" or how a candidate was dressed ever discussed when evaluating candidates. Faculty are truly most interested in what you will bring to the department and how your interests and what you have accomplished will make them better. However, I recommend wearing a well fitting suit for a B-School interview on all days (don't wear the same one twice) and for the other jobs a suit the first day and a sport coat and slacks on succeeding days.

Once you get hired (and particularly after you get tenure) all bets are off.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
If you are brilliant, wear anything that you like...in fact, the weirder, the better.

If you are not, dress a little better than your audience, but not much better.

- B

Sound advice for most professions.

SFEND002

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
In the 30+ years I have worked in academia, I have never heard "appearance" or how a candidate was dressed ever discussed when evaluating candidates. Faculty are truly most interested in what you will bring to the department and how your interests and what you have accomplished will make them better. However, I recommend wearing a well fitting suit for a B-School interview on all days (don't wear the same one twice) and for the other jobs a suit the first day and a sport coat and slacks on succeeding days.

Once you get hired (and particularly after you get tenure) all bets are off.

Nailed it. Its not about what you wear, but I am sure you can figure that out.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right, I'll definitely go with a conservative suit and tie for b-school talks, if I'm lucky enough to get any invitations. Still undecided about social-science talks. As a grad student, I never saw any candidates wear even a tie to job talks, so I'm afraid that a full suit and tie may look too business-y, but at the same time, I agree that it's good to err on the side of formality, so I'll probably go with sport coat + tie (if, again, I have the opportunity).

Everyone is correct that most academics are terribly dressed and won't consciously notice anything about, say, fit, but dress can still affect the audience's overall perception of a candidate, even if they can't articulate how it does. I simply want to look appropriate for the role and otherwise not have my clothing noticed.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just asked the better half, who is a professor on the interview committee at a top university, and she said for social sciences a sportcoat, tie, and khaki pants are fine. She couldn't say for b-school, but I'd guess it's slightly more formal (perhaps office pants are required).

DrCheap

Reaction score
Having seen a few dozen job talks across the humanities and social sciences, as well as having done a fair number myself, a suit is never a bad idea. Sportcoat or blazer and slacks/pants works well also. Ties are almost always optional. I have not worn a tie in well over a decade, including paid public speaking engagements, major conferences, and interviews. More important than the level of dress is that they fit well, look clean/pressed (as appropriate), and are nice for whatever tier of attire you choose. Don't look sloppy and you're generally safe.

Being smart, confident, and affable while simultaneously displaying respect for your future colleagues and the right to have their respect will win out over attire (almost) every time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads