• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Texan goes to the Redneck Riviera

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After a 13 hour drive spread over a 24 hour period, we got to the beach about 7pm last night. I slept for about 12 hours to recover (I drove the whole way). Although the weather is great (90f vs about 105f at home), the wind is up and the beach is "double red flag" (i.e. no swimming). We went to the outlet mall near Destin. I went to the Allen Edmonds outlet and picked up a couple of pair of new shoes. I forgot my camera, so I bought a new Sony Cybershot. I'll test out the photos in this thread throughout the week.

My wife's law partner's family owns a beach house here and we've rented it for the week. Here are a few shots off the back porch:
DSC00006.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wooooooweeeeeeeee Destin!!!

We used to roll down to Destin during spring break in HS. Teenage drinking at its finest!

K

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice. The redneck riviera tag is unfortunate, but one visit to the Florabama lounge, and the moniker lives up to its reputation.

In all seriousness though, we get down to Destin at least twice a year. Its a pretty easy drive from Atlanta, and as your pictures bear witness to, its a beautiful area.

We lived in Houston for some time, and the closest beach was Galveston.

I prefer Destin.

I am sure you do also.

The Gimp

Reaction score
You can't possibly call Destin the Redneck Riviera, that title belongs solely to Panama City Beach.

rolleyes.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Gimp
You can't possibly call Destin the Redneck Riviera, that title belongs solely to Panama City Beach.

rolleyes.gif

Which is exactly where I am!
wink.gif
Actually we're on the west end of Panama City beach in a little town called Laguna Beach, so we're a bit away from the nonsense that is Panama City Beach...still it's technically Panama City Beach. Everyone assumed we were in Destin because I said that we'd gone over the outlet mall there. But we're actually in PCB...so "Redneck Riviera".

Yesterday (another double red flag day at the beach) we got up and ran on the beach for about an hour and came back completely exhuasted (much harder running in sand that on the pavement). Very difficult to control your heart rate during the workout...at least when you're not used to it.

Late afternoon we took the boys into Panama City Beach to see a Movie (Hancock). The theatre is in a new development called "Pier Park" near the old Panama City Pier (which has been knocked down and is the process of being rebuilt...bigger & better, I'm sure).

Nice area, but we couldn't help thinking of the line from "Joe versus the Volcano":

Meg Ryan "So how do you like L.A?"
Tom Hanks "It looks fake. I like it!"
Florida2008035.jpg

Florida2008036.jpg

Florida2008038.jpg

Florida2008039.jpg

The Gimp

Reaction score
Gotcha!

And as I am sure you know, take those flags SERIOUSLY! I've seen people die on those beaches when they don't take heed. The undertow there is a *****.

Have fun in my old stomping grounds....

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Gimp
Gotcha!

And as I am sure you know, take those flags SERIOUSLY! I've seen people die on those beaches when they don't take heed. The undertow there is a *****.

Have fun in my old stomping grounds....

Oh, yeah. Swimming or no swimming, it's still nice to be around the beach. My wife has been doing lots of work...talking with the office, etc...I've done almost none so far, although I need to read some reports this week.

Mostly just relaxing.

I'm not a cook at home, but when we go on vacation I become the head chef. This place has great seafood markets. I love being able to eat the local seafood...Don't get that so much in Dallas...
frown.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still double red flag beach conditions (courtesy of Ernesto?). So lots of time beachside or in the house reading.

Saw "Hancock" last night with the family. Pretty funny. Worth seeing. Not everything has to be an Oscar contender.

Reading list so far:
*Got through Condi Rice's article in this month's Foreign Affairs on the "New American Realism." Still not sure what I think about it. Seems like she's gone from "nation-builiding=bad" in 2000, to "nation-building=the only important thing" in 2008. She pretty much admits as much (post 9-11, and all that).
*Scanning back through "Fear and Trembling" by Kierkegaard. There's some stuff I think I remember in here from the last time I read it that I need to ruminate on. Haven't gotten very far yet. Kierkegaard isn't easy.
*"Diamonds are Forever" I'm at the beach, give me a break.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Club LA VELA!!!!!!!!!!

K

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"A Texan goes to the Redneck Riviera..."

But in Texas, you're already there!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
That area of the Gulf Coast is beautiful. I live in Tallahassee now, and all my local friends seem to be having their weddings on St. George Island. It's great. Enjoy it now before St. Joe's develops it all.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
"A Texan goes to the Redneck Riviera..."

But in Texas, you're already there!

Don't you have some co-eds to stalk?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
That area of the Gulf Coast is beautiful. I live in Tallahassee now, and all my local friends seem to be having their weddings on St. George Island. It's great. Enjoy it now before St. Joe's develops it all.

I give it a hard time, but the beaches here are really beautiful. California beaches are like dating a woman that won't let you touch her. Florida beaches put out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads