• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A step up from Charles Tyrwhitt

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, TM Lewin's slim-cut shirts look nice. Anything of that general style & quality available for reasonable in the U.S.?

MedGuy28

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
I kinda get the impression that Pink is paying a lot more for basically the same thing.
eh.gif

I like their socks, never bought shirts but that's where most people I know buy their shirts and it's quite reasonably priced during the sale.

I like most things from Reiss so that can be an alternative.

NiFTY

Reaction score
i would agree that turnbull and asser is the way to go, i have CT, TM Lewin and Hilditch shirts and they are all okay, but the T & A is far far superior. albeit at a higher price point

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a stack of CT and Pink shirts that I have been slowly giving away to the Salvation Army. The best description is that the quality is 'okay' but at nonsale prices, wildly overpriced. TM Lewin tends to be better value and always seems to have sales (CT used to do this too). There's another similarly placed brand that you can get in London, Hawes and Curtis, again almost permanent sales eg 4 for 100 pounds.

Harvie & Hudson and Hilditch & Key are nicer shirts generally, whilst T&A are great especially the three button cuffs. However my Janzten 'copies' of my T&As have also done very well, at a fraction of the price.

Doc4

Reaction score
Does T&A make a slimfit version? Maybe I'm just daft
tinfoil.gif
but I can't find that option on their website.

(
bounce2.gif
I said "T&A")

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pick up a stack of T&A shirts during the season end sales. Normally they drop to $125 or so. Place a call and they will send you some photo's.

As for slim fit I bring them to the tailor and have it done in on the sides through the arms.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Coles is definitely a step up, as is Hilditch & Key. You could also try New & Lingwood. A step up in price, too, unfortunately. Turnbull & Asser is legendary as the cream of the crop of British RTW, and legendarily expensive.

Really?

T&A has the best marketing of all Jermyn St. by far. But as for the actual shirts, H&K is my clear preference between the two. That stays the same when H&H, Pink, or Tyrwhitt are added. I have no experience with Coles or N&L, the other makers mentioned in this thread.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Coles is definitely a step up, as is Hilditch & Key. You could also try New & Lingwood. A step up in price, too, unfortunately. Turnbull & Asser is legendary as the cream of the crop of British RTW, and legendarily expensive.

I second Coles. The only problem is they only offer a couple slim fit shirts in plain white or blue. If you don't need slim fit shirts, they're a good choice.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The traveling Hong Kong tailors offer a pretty good value for their shirts. WW Chan, MyTailor, and Ascot Chang are the three I had in mind. You can get Thomas Mason fabrics, fairly decent construction, and a custom fit for about $125.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Really?

T&A has the best marketing of all Jermyn St. by far. But as for the actual shirts, H&K is my clear preference between the two. That stays the same when H&H, Pink, or Tyrwhitt are added. I have no experience with Coles or N&L, the other makers mentioned in this thread.

The definition for legendary is "well known, famous,' so having the best marketing, or having the Royal family wear your clothing, could make a shirtmaker legendary whether it actually is the cream of the crop or not. That's all I meant. Rolls Royces are legendary but I'm sure a lot of people will tell you that there are better cars.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
In the quality order :
Harvie and Hudson (very classic english, they offer their shirts both FC and button 2b)
TM Lewin - better cut and fabric than CT.
My preference is H&H, and the price difference is not significative.

NorthbyNorthwest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
I have a stack of CT and Pink shirts that I have been slowly giving away to the Salvation Army. The best description is that the quality is 'okay' but at nonsale prices, wildly overpriced. TM Lewin tends to be better value and always seems to have sales (CT used to do this too). There's another similarly placed brand that you can get in London, Hawes and Curtis, again almost permanent sales eg 4 for 100 pounds.

Harvie & Hudson and Hilditch & Key are nicer shirts generally, whilst T&A are great especially the three button cuffs. However my Janzten 'copies' of my T&As have also done very well, at a fraction of the price.

TM Lewin seems to have the same 4 for £100 sale right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads