• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoot David a PM, if he's not already sent one your way. He's tremendously responsive to customer suggestions for stocking fabrics, so I would imagine he'd be amendable to this request.
I hear you but these are custom fabrics or one-offs that take a few months to produce, it'd be hard to "stock" them, hence BYO... I got the idea after seeing some beautiful silks ruined by less than careful stitching; if I'm going to commission some pieces I'd rather they were made into a tie by a professional (arguably "the" professional).

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Six, not sure if you're around anymore or not, but I dug out this photo of you from the archives. I found it very intriguing.

Do you by chance have any ties that are Hober standard 3.75''?

The more I read about the ties, the more I want to go up from 3.5''.
I don’t have any ties that are 3.75”. All my Hobers are 9cm.

Personally, I don’t think I could determine tie width preference this way. I’ve figured it out by wearing them. If you’re interested in one that’s 3.75”, order it and wear it for a while. If you want it narrower, send it back to David to be reworked.

Alternatively, you could tell David what you’re trying to determine and then ask him to make you one tie that’s 3.5” and one that’s 3.75”, with the idea that if you strongly like one more than the other, you’ll send back the one that you don’t prefer to be widened or narrowed.

I prefer 9 cm, but as that photo suggests, I have multiple widths and they’re all fine. You might find the same. So even if 3.75” is wider than ideal for you, it won’t make that much difference, and you’ll wear it anyway.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any ties that are 3.75”. All my Hobers are 9cm.

Personally, I don’t think I could determine tie width preference this way. I’ve figured it out by wearing them. If you’re interested in one that’s 3.75”, order it and wear it for a while. If you want it narrower, send it back to David to be reworked.

Alternatively, you could tell David what you’re trying to determine and then ask him to make you one tie that’s 3.5” and one that’s 3.75”, with the idea that if you strongly like one more than the other, you’ll send back the one that you don’t prefer to be widened or narrowed.

I prefer 9 cm, but as that photo suggests, I have multiple widths and they’re all fine. You might find the same. So even if 3.75” is wider than ideal for you, it won’t make that much difference, and you’ll wear it anyway.

Interesting, I never thought about getting it reworked... He could do this? I get that it could be narrowed, but widened as well??

Very true. It's all pedantic, as I said earlier, but I like to make up my mind and then go whole hog on it.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all pedantic, as I said earlier, but I like to make up my mind and then go whole hog on it.

Then go with 3.5". It's completely within the classic size range, it is neither as narrow as is trendy today (3.25" or narrower) or as wide as has been trendy in the past (3.75" and wider).

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I never thought about getting it reworked... He could do this? I get that it could be narrowed, but widened as well??

Very true. It's all pedantic, as I said earlier, but I like to make up my mind and then go whole hog on it.
I don’t know for sure. It seems possible to leave some allowance. But you have to ask David.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you but these are custom fabrics or one-offs that take a few months to produce, it'd be hard to "stock" them, hence BYO... I got the idea after seeing some beautiful silks ruined by less than careful stitching; if I'm going to commission some pieces I'd rather they were made into a tie by a professional (arguably "the" professional).
Oh, absolutely. David's willingness to work to satisfy customer requests leads me to (without knowledge, so don't hold him to my assumptions) assume he'd be willing to work with customer provided goods.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then go with 3.5". It's completely within the classic size range, it is neither as narrow as is trendy today (3.25" or narrower) or as wide as has been trendy in the past (3.75" and wider).

Thanks for the input. Never thought a tie width would be so difficult... LOL

I don’t know for sure. It seems possible to leave some allowance. But you have to ask David.

Ok thanks!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I finally did it after much conversing with David! Just bought my first Hober!

How long does shipping usually take from Thailand??

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well I finally did it after much conversing with David! Just bought my first Hober!

How long does shipping usually take from Thailand??

Which shipping option did you choose? DHL is fantastic, usually 3 days to the U.S. and reasonably priced. The other option (Registered Airmail, I think?) is slow. Was almost 3 weeks the one time I used it, and no tracking. Not significantly cheaper than DHL, either, so I choose DHL every time for my orders.

Oh, and deets on the tie? :smarmy:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which shipping option did you choose? DHL is fantastic, usually 3 days to the U.S. and reasonably priced. The other option (Registered Airmail, I think?) is slow. Was almost 3 weeks the one time I used it, and no tracking. Not significantly cheaper than DHL, either, so I choose DHL every time for my orders.

Oh, and deets on the tie? :smarmy:

I THINK I chose DHL.... Maybe $10 shipping, DHL express??

It was the EPDT-6.. Dark burgundy with white polka dots. Four in hand knot, 61.5'' and I went with a 3.75'' width and the regular finish on the edge.

REALLY pumped.

Couple days. You’ll Have your ties in 10 days ish

Woo-doggy I can't wait.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I THINK I chose DHL.... Maybe $10 shipping, DHL express??

It was the EPDT-6.. Dark burgundy with white polka dots. Four in hand knot, 61.5'' and I went with a 3.75'' width and the regular finish on the edge.

REALLY pumped.

Woo-doggy I can't wait.

I have a couple on the way, also. Prometeo gray grenadine and wide stripe shantung (red and gold)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads