• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E3863595-2E58-480F-B231-E35DCAF74543.jpeg

Merry Christmas to me

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just getting into ties and find myself perplexed at the costs of branded ties (e.g. Eton, Armani, etc.) and they all seem to be really wide. I came across Sam Hober and while the price is still expensive, I like the ability to customize the length/width. I was wondering if y'all can suggest the major features of a tie that you should look for and what the standard knots are to use? I am planning on ordering from David and I want to get it right the first time.

Also, does David offer any discounts or sales?

Thanks, Cap.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just getting into ties and find myself perplexed at the costs of branded ties (e.g. Eton, Armani, etc.) and they all seem to be really wide. I came across Sam Hober and while the price is still expensive, I like the ability to customize the length/width. I was wondering if y'all can suggest the major features of a tie that you should look for and what the standard knots are to use? I am planning on ordering from David and I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks, Cap.

Just to head you off at the pass here, since you're complaining about most ties being too wide -- avoid skinny ties at all costs, they are already out of style and never looked good on most frames anyhow. Unless you are very, very slight, like heroin-addicted elf proportions, anything below 3" at the bare minimum will look disproportionately narrow.

Knot: four-in-hand, full stop.

As far as quality Sam Hober is as good as it gets, I think many/most folks on here would probably agree that the only reason to buy more expensive name-brand ties is if there is a pattern you like that Hober doesn't offer. I don't recall ever reading any suggestion that there is some meaningful quality increase available from more expensive makers.

I have not seen SH offer any discounts or sales, their prices are already very competitive.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks, Cap.
How wide do you prefer your ties, normally? I’ve had ties from both of those makers, and they are rather slim compared to most “classic” tie widths.
I normally go 6/7 folds for mine, but the fabric is the most important. I always do a four in hand (to the point I’ve forgotten how to tie other knots), but if you like very slim ties, other knots might be in play.

Note: obviously a matter of taste, but I would suggest never going slimmer than 3”, unless you’re extremely slender.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Hmmm I was thinking that 3 inch ties are too wide for my taste and thought anything between 2.5 - 2.75 inches was good. I am 5 ft 6, average build.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Height has nothing to do with it, the issue is the proportion of the tie’s width to your width. I promise a skinny tie would look very extremely doubleplus bad on a 5’5” fat guy, his below average height notwithstanding.

Are you sure though that 3 inches is in proportion to someone of my height?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I was thinking that 3 inch ties are too wide for my taste and thought anything between 2.5 - 2.75 inches was good. I am 5 ft 6, average build.
I've been there. Not telling you you're right or wrong, but every single one of those types of ties I own does not see the light of day.

Captain Waffles

Reaction score
Hmmm, OK because I have a 3.14 inch/8 cm tie and it personally looks too wide so I wasn't sure that 3 inches would be that big of a difference. How do you guys determine the optimal length?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... How do you guys determine the optimal length?

Take one of your ties and tie it where the tip of the larger front blade ends at your belt (assuming you are wearing the sort of trousers you'll be wearing with ties). Note where the small blade is ending. I like mine to be about 2-3 inches shorter than the front blade. Where do you want yours to end? Take note how far off the mark it might be.

Remove the tie and measure it. If your back blade was 3 inches too long, subtract three inches. If your back blade was two inches too short, then add two inches. That's the length that ought to work for you. For me, that's about 58-59 inches for my Hobers. But I'm a lot taller than you and likely have a bigger neck and/or belly. That all affects where the end of one's tie will land and therefore the right length. This assumes you are always tying the same knot. I suppose a tie with thicker material and/or interlining could "shorten" the tied tie slightly but not too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads