• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score

Everyone should own the two grenadines above.  No excuses.  I would add bitter chocolate for the ultimate trifecta

That's the next tie on my list. I think I'll go with the garza grossa silk for a slight change of pace.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score

That's the next tie on my list. I think I'll go with the garza grossa silk for a slight change of pace.

Pretty standard width. At least 3.5 inches, I think. No bigger than 3.75".

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone should own the two grenadines above.  No excuses.  I would add bitter chocolate for the ultimate trifecta

It is impossible to have too many grenadine ties. I'd skip the green and go for two shades of brown instead. Brown ties with blue jackets are a nearly foolproof combo. But it could just be me, I don't like hunter green.

sprout

Reaction score
There should be a kind of check-off list for David's grenadine ties so that we can compete to collect them all like trading cards/Pokemon/bottle caps.

sprout

Reaction score
It is impossible to have too many grenadine ties. I'd skip the green and go for two shades of brown instead. Brown ties with blue jackets are a nearly foolproof combo. But it could just be me, I don't like hunter green.

I understand. I think it's a seldom-seen color for a solid tie and can be jaunty and sophisticated.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's another option - an Atkinson's pocket square. David points out that he's the only maker in world ready to put hand-rolled edges on this fabric, and the end result really is a collector's item.

Tommi

Reaction score

Here's a little series of "unboxing photos" from my first Hober purchase. Gorgeous ties and perfect dimples on my first try. Can't wait to get some more.

Those grenadines look terrific!
Is the shade of the blue one Navy GFT-11?

sprout

Reaction score
Here's another option - an Atkinson's pocket square. David points out that he's the only maker in world ready to put hand-rolled edges on this fabric, and the end result really is a collector's item.

That looks smart, although that fold looks kind of wallety. I guess the material is too heavy for much else, no?
I must learn to accept yellow as a viable option.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is stiff, but that's the fabric. I prefer the TV-ish fold, and lighter weight silk will not sit up like this. YMMV.

HarleyBob

Reaction score

Really, you would add just the bitter chocolate. What about the burgundy, the slate blue, olive, charcoal gray, purple (my favorite), and the dark sienna?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really, you would add just the bitter chocolate. What about the burgundy, the slate blue, olive, charcoal gray, purple (my favorite), and the dark sienna?

I have my eye on that color! I think it would stellar with a blue jacket and shoes of a color similar to the tie.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the colors in this (F.Corbera's) pic accurate ?

i-cNSHjHp.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads