• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Sam (and David) Hober Tie Appreciation Thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, that packs a punch all right.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, that packs a punch all right.

devil.gif
Yes I know...

tdude

Reaction score
^^ PP, how does the red/black resolve at a distance? Does it stay a true red or does the black thread affect it some?

(I wore a pow suit just like that last week. Wore my new black garza with it. Never got a pic though darn it.)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great ties, dimitri.

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ PP, how does the red/black resolve at a distance? Does it stay a true red or does the black thread affect it some?

(I wore a pow suit just like that last week. Wore my new black garza with it. Never got a pic though darn it.)

Pretty much stays a true red but the black gives it a dark red shade from a distance. Red ties don't get much (or really any) love on SF but I like 'em and I like this one a lot. I also like the fina weave coupled with the stripe...I will be getting more in the not too distant future.
nod[1].gif

Shame on you for no pic!
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

tdude

Reaction score
I know, I know. Was out of the office and busy all day. Just forgot and the hours ran away.

The red tie thing is fascinating isn't it. First criticism I ever heard (read) was Manton's. he said something like red ties are hard to get right or pull off or some such SF jargon. I think that might have morphed into "red ties are malum in se" but I don't think that was his intent. I took his point to be that a guy risks wearing a bad ensemble with a true red tie, so it's better not to risk it. A sort of prophylactic malum prohibitum then. If so, then it's a fair discussion of when a red tie can be worn successfully, however rarely (according to that mindset). But the groupthink sometimes is just anti red tie. For me, I like red ties in theory, but I will admit that whole infiltrating, SF brainwashing thing does give me pause when reaching for one in the morning. That said, black/white glen plaid resolving to gray and a basic white shirt . . . looks good to me!

pinkpanther

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The red tie thing is fascinating isn't it. First criticism I ever heard (read) was Manton's. he said something like red ties are hard to get right or pull off or some such SF jargon. I think that might have morphed into "red ties are malum in se" but I don't think that was his intent. I took his point to be that a guy risks wearing a bad ensemble with a true red tie, so it's better not to risk it. A sort of prophylactic malum prohibitum then. If so, then it's a fair discussion of when a red tie can be worn successfully, however rarely (according to that mindset). But the groupthink sometimes is just anti red tie. For me, I like red ties in theory, but I will admit that whole infiltrating, SF brainwashing thing does give me pause when reaching for one in the morning. That said, black/white glen plaid resolving to gray and a basic white shirt . . . looks good to me!

You have probably captured it pretty well. Whether it originated with Manton or not I haven't been around long enough to tell. Be that as it may, it seems the red tie meets with the derision of most, if not all, SF elders and many others as well. No skin off my back though, I will keep wearing them (along with the navies, burgundys, blacks, etc).

Thanks for the comment. :fistbump:

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You have probably captured it pretty well. Whether it originated with Manton or not I haven't been around long enough to tell. Be that as is may, it seems the red tie meets with the derision of most, if not all, SF elders and many others as well. No skin off my back though, I will keep wearing them (along with the navies, burgundys, blacks, etc).

Thanks for the comment. :fistbump:

Red ties pair well with various navy and gray suits.

Syeknom

Reaction score
I would personally never deign to wear red but that is one completely gorgeous tie pinkpanther, such a beautiful weave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads